Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:29 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Mr. Green is not benefited at all through the Articles of the Secession. He stops short, so therefore, he does not give the whole story.

They're a good read. Through them one can learn just how it was that the south was railroaded by the northern states.

However, that doesn't even pertain to the situation(s) where a person can be terminated from their employment because of a symbol. It just gets crazier from here ...

~ Don't Tread on Me ~ will be next. I know the two flags, go hand in hand.
The South could have saved themselves by treating people as people. If the South never had slavery, it could have been as powerful as the North. The slave states had a major stake. That why why pro slavery types went to Kansas. They wanted to fight against the abolitionists. I say the South during this time got what it deserved. Now, would I wish any ill today? No. Everyone everywhere has the same rights. However, trying to downplay the role of maintaining slavery in the cause is stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
While I understand and largely agree with you and I support your position I did post earlier where we used it in a school in the north and meant nothing at all negative about it.

There are exceptions BUT as I've pointed out many times the courts in this case must side with the defendant where there is any doubt. You can doubt my explanation of our use as the school on the South side of the system and that is all it is.

It takes on very different connotations where others civil rights are concerned. You (as in the big picture you) have no right to not be offended. A defendant does have a right to be treated fairly where the law is concerned and someone flying the flag can cause a doubt.

My two examples show where there are legitimate reasons where the law is concerned for that doubt.

(not really speaking to you directly, just adding overall)
The officer certainly has the right to fly that flag. That said, I also don't trust anyone to police a community fairly who might endorse such a cause. With me, my main concern is this. Yes, people are entitled to their opinion. I'm also concerned about what kind of persons we recruit into our police forces.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:31 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
He addressed that. By noting this, especially after he acknowledged and addressed it, you are defending his position.
I don't know what you just said, but ok.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The South could have saved themselves by treating people as people. If the South never had slavery, it could have been as powerful as the North.
The north had slavery.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
The South could have saved themselves by treating people as people. If the South never had slavery, it could have been as powerful as the North. The slave states had a major stake. That why why pro slavery types went to Kansas. They wanted to fight against the abolitionists. I say the South during this time got what it deserved. Now, would I wish any ill today? No. Everyone everywhere has the same rights. However, trying to downplay the role of maintaining slavery in the cause is stupid.
There was slavery in the north too dude.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don't know what you just said, but ok.
I don't doubt that.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
The officer certainly has the right to fly that flag. That said, I also don't trust anyone to police a community fairly who might endorse such a cause . With me, my main concern is this. Yes, people are entitled to their opinion. I'm also concerned about what kind of persons we recruit into our police forces.
Which I have noted over and over that a court has to take this into consideration.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that.
You don't doubt what?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
He addressed that. By noting this, especially after he acknowledged and addressed it, you are defending his position.
And I have this to add. We all know a Black criminal when we see one. All we have to do is look at an individual's behavior and stay away from that person. I worry about Black on Black crime when I go to work. Why? Because I work in a rough part of town where that stuff is prevalent. How do I handle myself? Go to work and don't deal with the underclass people there. My office is safe. I live in an area where there are people flying Confederate flags. I'm only there because I live with my parents. When my time comes, I'm leaving that area. Over there, I'm not dealing with Black on Black crime. I'm dealing with the rednecks. I'm dealing with a different problem. Black criminals and rednecks, from my experiences, there isn't much difference between the two.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Which I have noted over and over that a court has to take this into consideration.
The court does have to take that into account. Truth is, I have forgotten that part. Being in alot of fear, some things I forget. And especially after being accosted with racial slurs by some redneck types a few weeks ago, and stuff about race issues/police in the media, I'm on edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies