Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:32 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
First, I've always viewed this flag as being in support of slavery.

Meaningless. You weren't the one flying it.

Quote:
I don't quite get what reason anyone would have for displaying it. So help me understand that piece of it.

You'd have to ask the person flying it. I like ice cream. You may like ice cream. Maybe it's for the same reason. Maybe not.

Quote:
And secondly, if it's so controversial, which I think nobody here can deny,

It isn't controversial to me. I don't care what others do unless it initiates force on me.

Quote:
why is it not okay to fire her, but it's okay for an employer to fire someone for what they've posted on Facebook or Twitter?

I'm asking because I see some posters were pro firing in that thread, but against firing here.

In a normal, logical, and moral world human beings would own their own bodies and fruits of their own labor. Unfortunately we are merely chattel to a few hundred folks spread amongst a few banking families (Rothschild, Krupp, Rockefeller to name a few). The puppet governments they set up and control use our labor and the promise of our future labor to do their bidding.

If we ever reached a point where we were free then contracts and agreed-upon resolution dispute councils would handle all interactions between employers and employees.

In short, the business of relationships would go from a collectivist mentality to an individualist mentality and no one would have to worry about who got fired and for what.

What we have here is merely an extension of the control our overlords have over us. The most disturbing detail is someone driving down the road and seeing something they didn't like then "tattling" on them. This is the most damning part of our society right now: the slaves turning each other in to the "authorities" in the hope of gaining favor from the slave master.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 02:34 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,544,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Ex cop here.

People need to understand that LE is not like other professions. When I was with the state police, there were policies we had to follow even if we are off duty. For example, we could not post bond for someone, even if it's our son.

Free speech did not apply either. If we say something remotely controversial on GB or whatever, we would be charged with unbecoming an officer.

Don't try to apply what you know of a normal job to law enforcement.
any idea if displaying a flag like this would be grounds for termination??

I did some checking around online and couldn't find a thing about a ban of the confederate flag in GA.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM

547 posts, read 505,549 times
A rainbow flag would be ok, right?

Old 07-28-2016, 02:38 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,098,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

I did some checking around online and couldn't find a thing about a ban of the confederate flag in GA.
Each department has its own policies. I suspect very much she did not get fired because of the flag but because she lied by claiming she didn't know the flag had been adopted by hate groups.

Now, it is also entirely possible that she was a sacrificial lamb to prevent controversy on a larger scale.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:45 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
A rainbow flag would be ok, right?
I wonder how the "Thin Blue Line Flag" would go over down there? Honors fallen cops.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Well, I'd say that many people do associate that flag with racism, so if a cop is supposed to serve everyone equally, then flying this flag is a problem.

And this is no different than posting something stupid on social media. Your lawn may not be public property, but just like FB and Twitter, it's out there for everyone to see.

Some of you are stuck on free speech and rights. Yes, you have the right to fly whatever you'd like on your property. It doesn't mean there won't be consequences for it, given the type of work you do.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times
I would of fired her too, just because she was stupid enough to park her patrol car in sight of the flag, if she wanted to fly the flag in the back yard, no problem

Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,544,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Each department has its own policies. I suspect very much she did not get fired because of the flag but because she lied by claiming she didn't know the flag had been adopted by hate groups.

Now, it is also entirely possible that she was a sacrificial lamb to prevent controversy on a larger scale.
even if something is adopted by a hate group, unless it's illegal or she was told it was, I don't see how they had the right to fire her. I hope she sues.

this PC BS has gone too far.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post

Yes it is, conduct unbecoming of a officier, moral clause. It be the same as if you got in a bar fight

Old 07-28-2016, 02:55 PM

547 posts, read 505,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I would of fired her too, just because she was stupid enough to park her patrol car in sight of the flag, if she wanted to fly the flag in the back yard, no problem
Please tell us how you know it was her flag and not someone else's residing in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies