Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 10:37 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Lying to other Police Officers during an internal investigation brings up the same sortof doubts.
The is a sergeant they fired, this story stinks all over.
I'm pretty sure this officer was fired because of something else entirely. That's how it works. Every time I've seen one of these cases where a cop gets fired for a seemingly minor violation it's because there's another story behind it that they don't want to expose. The chief didn't like her, she had too many complaints, she was about to expose corruption, or a sexual assault by another officer.... I think there is a battle on the inside of this department with her that will come out later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 10:43 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
See that's the thing.....

You don't have to hit someone because they call you a racial slur.

You just want to.

And that makes you an individual prone to violence.
Yes, I would choose to... So what..

Old 07-30-2016, 10:46 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sure you would. Lack of self control is genealogical...... LOL!
I might get hurt, but you would be dead... How does that work for you?
Tryvon Martin for 1000, Alex

Use the most powerful weapon GOD gave you and your words can set you free.
That might be the case or you could end up both hurt then dead. No one can answer that question because it requires speculating. Unlike most people I know what I'm capable of when facing someone that is armed. I've been in shootouts. I don't have to base what I would do by speculating...

And I'll leave it at that..

Old 07-30-2016, 10:55 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
The is a sergeant they fired, this story stinks all over.
I'm pretty sure this officer was fired because of something else entirely. That's how it works. Every time I've seen one of these cases where a cop gets fired for a seemingly minor violation it's because there's another story behind it that they don't want to expose. The chief didn't like her, she had too many complaints, she was about to expose corruption, or a sexual assault by another officer.... I think there is a battle on the inside of this department with her that will come out later.
As per the earlier cited article:

Quote:
Cotriss was fired on the grounds of Unbecoming Conduct and Duty Regarding Conduct, which says an employee must not do anything that jeopardizes the public's respect for the employee or the department.

This isn't the first time Cotriss was in trouble at work. In 2014, she was suspended for three days without pay. Her personnel file says when working as a supervisor she failed to investigate a complaint about an officer possibly lying.

There are some other items in her personnel file that are critical of Cotriss but there are also several letters from people who praise her for her work.

Costriss has been with the department since 1996. There was no answer when CBS46 knocked on her door this afternoon.

Chief Grant says he can't comment on the termination but hopes the documents will speak for themselves.
I too would like to see the documents that would shed more light on this particular situation.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:59 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It might, but freedom of speech should be for all, not just the protestors on the left, not just for BLM, not just for people who support candidates by having Vote for Trump or Vote for Hillary signs in their yards.
I think it is in poor taste to fly any flag but our own, yet we have schools who fly the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo day.
I don't have the answer. People with thin skin will freak out over anything and everything.
I don't believe the officer should have been fired over a flag. Performance of her job and criminal record should be the only qualifiers.
I stated what I stated and it does play into all of this but in the end I do agree with the bolded. The problem I noted is a real and actual problem. A guilty defendant may very well get set free in the scenario I posted. I would even understand why.

It is offset by other rights......when competing rights clash an answer has to be developed. Is it an easy answer? No, I do not believe it is.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:04 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Lying to other Police Officers during an internal investigation brings up the same sortof doubts.
Yes, and that is another scenario I have addressed elsewhere. I was mostly sticking to the flag issue. I believe that any officer that lies in an investigation should be terminated.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
As per the other earlier cited article:

Quote:
...In its termination of Cotriss, Roswell police Capt. Helen Dunkin wrote that she had "engaged in conduct that was unbecoming, which brought discredit to the Roswell Police Department when she flew" the flag in her yard.

In recent months, Roswell Police Chief Rusty Grant has been visiting several churches in the Roswell area to build bridges with residents, the Atlanta newspaper reports.

Shortly after five police officers were shot to death in an ambush in Dallas, Texas, Grant was invited to attend Eagles Nest Church in Roswell, a predominantly black congregation, where he spoke to worshippers that Sunday, the newspaper reported. The man who lodged the complaint against Cotriss referenced the church service in his email to Grant, the newspaper reported. ...
No doubt a lawsuit is in the works although the public at large may not be privy to all of the information available leading to the decision to terminate employment which ... unfortunately, chips away at the progress made in an attempt to 'build bridges' within the community.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:14 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
That might be the case or you could end up both hurt then dead. No one can answer that question because it requires speculating. Unlike most people I know what I'm capable of when facing someone that is armed. I've been in shootouts. I don't have to base what I would do by speculating...

And I'll leave it at that..
Shootouts?

Who are you, Billy the Kid?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I suspect many who oppose the officers right to fly the confederate flag would have no issue with Latino's flying a Mexican flag above our own flag.
I myself would never fly the confederate flag, it simply has no meaning to me. I wouldn't fly the German flag either, even though I am of German descent.
The people I know that fly the confederate flag don't do so out of white pride. The Southern Army nearly defeated the North. The North had them out gunned, out manned and had a decided advantage of the northern industry. The Southerners nearly won. To the people I know the war was more about States rights and Federal over reach.
I understand that to many it was only about slavery. Those many are ill informed.
The cop should have the right to fly the flag on her own property. Do I think it's smart for a cop to fly a confederate flag in their own yard? NO. Then again I don't think that it is smart for a restaurant to refuse cops service because cops in another city shot someone.
Those on the left say it represents slavery. Mainstream American conservatives often remark that it's a symbol against federal overreach and for states' rights.

I think both sides are wrong. Some Southerners who display the flag may bring up politics, states' rights, and all that uninteresting jazz, but that's just a bizarre reason. I think you almost had it in the post I quoted. Their ancestors fought with all they had for the freedom of their Southland. And that's admirable, and for Southerners, they're your ancestors!

Old 07-30-2016, 11:26 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Yes, I would choose to... So what..
"What" = you're part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies