Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 09:05 AM

58,731 posts, read 26,982,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
While I wouldn't fly the Confederate flag, this is bad. Is the First Amendment going the same way as the Second? Sure seems the libs want to squelch both.
We can BURN the American flag under the 1st Amendment (something I disagree with) but, we can't fly the VA. Batttle Flag under the 1st Amendment.

Hypocrisy at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Admissibility of that would be very very tough, especially since there is an assumption made there of the content of the officer's speech.

I think there is more going on here, because she was fired without warning or opportunity to correct the situation. Department is going to end up owing her back pay plus penalties for that if they fired her solely on this basis with no opportunity to correct.
"Investigators say a passerby alerted a local pastor when he saw the police car parked next to the flag. The pastor then told Roswell Police Chief Rusty Grant during a community meeting."

In other words a nosy neighbor was offended.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:11 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,913,725 times
Not buying that she didn't know that the confederate flag was controversial.

I don't believe that leadership in law enforcement should be flying anything controversial like a confederate flag considering the challenges of law enforcement and community relationships and the current and past racial issues.

If she was a bus driver, customer service rep or worked at Walmart or something it would be a different story.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
This is great news! I'm glad this police department took a stance. It appears this officer expressed a lack of both decency and common sense.
Your racist bias is noted.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Not buying that she didn't know that the confederate flag was controversial.

I don't believe that leadership in law enforcement should be flying anything controversial like a confederate flag considering the challenges of law enforcement and community relationships and the current and past racial issues.

If she was a bus driver, customer service rep or worked at Walmart or something it would be a different story.
The last I heard members of the law enforcement community were AMERICAN citizens and covered under the same Constitution as you and I.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:18 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,913,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The last I heard members of the law enforcement community were AMERICAN citizens and covered under the same Constitution as you and I.
Yes they are.

She should be free to fly her flag and stand for anything she wants. The constitution doesn't ban racists comments or symbols.

She should be able to understand with her flying a confederate flag and the issues that some may believe come along with that choice can make you unfit to serve with law enforcement.

Just by her bold statement by flying the mess in front of her house, I wouldn't want her leading my department or the department where I live.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:59 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,111,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Your racist bias is noted.
How hypocritical of you Quick Enough. How did we guess you would be the one showing up to support neo-confederate and white supremacist symbols...

Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,428,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I have several friends from the south displayed that flag. They are not racists, they also displayed that flag when they were deployed. To them, that flag means southern warrior spirit, no more no less.

I don't know what that flag means to this particular police officer. But firing somebody because she displayed that flag in her yard? This sounds pretty scary when you think about it...
Do they know that the "southern warrior spirit" lost? They`re not making any sense. I think thepolice dept. doesn`t want any klansmen/women on the force.

Old 07-31-2016, 12:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,650,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is correct as the law stands now. However we in dire need of state laws in red state America to protect our right to free speech from being usurped by our employers. Liberals have won the battle when it comes to corporations and other organizations ( the city of Roswell GA in this case). The boycotts and lawsuits were enough to force the employers of America to do the bidding of the SJWs. Conservatives generally are more likely to be working people, and this tool against conservative views and speech has been very effective. It is time for the conservative states to pass tough new laws against those employers who use the political speech or expression as a reason to fire employees. Time to stop these libs where they stand, if people no longer feared the consequences of challenging PC, it would disappear overnight. The left knows this. Some leftie will come on here and tell me "there are consequences of free speech" yada yada yada. Well we can change the state laws and you un-American pinko's wont be able to do anything about that.
Complain all you want about the left, but it was conservatives who favored the rights of employers over employees in the first place.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:25 AM

9,447 posts, read 10,743,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Complain all you want about the left, but it was conservatives who favored the rights of employers over employees in the first place.

Don't get too cocky, its being discussed and conservatives are reassessing this issue already. We wont give up our free speech rights forever in our own states. Anyhow the corporations lost their rights the day they gave in to looney left social justice warriors. All it takes to change this power the left has gained is an act of the state houses of Red State America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies