Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:57 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's sad that people will overlook the trampling of people's rights, illegal actions being overlooked and an unfair system all for the sake of their politics.

And they say Islam is a scary religion.
The clicks did not work? Too bad. Thought that more likely then the vacuous charge suggested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 01:43 PM

15,755 posts, read 7,564,141 times
Default The sovereign man ...

Ellis Bell: A minority that some people won't listen to and/or hear them from their graves.

Do your homework. Look them up. I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
A minority. Most Blacks who did fight, they fought for the Union. I care about the bottom line, period. Everyone had their reasons for fighting. However, the bottom line is the main cause.
^^ You do not know that to be true, because you're not really interested in what is true.

When I read the Article of Secession, I understood that there is more to our history as people of America, than others would like for us to believe. So this is where you and I differ. I don't care if the number is 1 soldier or 10,000 black soldiers that fought in the confederacy. They were fighting as Rebels under the Rebel flag for their freedom from the very government that had enslaved them.
Quote:
Note: The Congress of the Confederate States of America did not authorize African-Americans to enlist until General Order No. 14 was issued on March 23, 1865. However, prior to March 1865, each state in the Confederacy was sovereign and independent; thus, Confederate Officers were at liberty to enlist based on the Confederate legislation of their respective states. As an example, the Confederate legislature of Tennessee passed an act impressing all male free persons of color between the ages of fifteen and fifty. Thus, Confederate Soldier Service Records provide vital genealogical data for many family historians.
And as long as one person knows the whole truth and is willing to acknowledged it, their deaths are not in vein.

"During the “Civil War,” ex-slave Frederick Douglass observed, “There are at the present moment many colored men in the Confederate army doing duty not only as cooks, servants and laborers, but as real soldiers, having muskets on their shoulders, and bullets in their pockets, ready to shoot down loyal troops, and do all that soldiers may to destroy the Federal Government and build up that of the traitors and rebels” (Douglass’ Monthly, September 1861). “For more than two years, negroes had been extensively employed in belligerent operations by the Confederacy. They had been embodied and drilled as Rebel soldiers, and had paraded with White troops at a time when this would not have been tolerated in the armies of the Union” (Horace Greeley, in his book, “The American Conflict”).
<snip>
Those are but a few examples of the important role that blacks served as soldiers, freemen and slaves on the side of the Confederacy. The flap over the Confederate flag is not quite so simple as the nation’s race “experts” make it. They want us to believe the flag is a symbol of racism. Yes, racists have used the Confederate flag as their symbol, but racists have also marched behind the U.S. flag and have used the Bible. Would anyone suggest banning the U.S. flag from state buildings and references to the Bible?
Read more at Black Confederate-flag haters dishonor ancestors

Same race people often find themselves in opposing situations. What does that make them when that happens?

btw: I suggest that you read the material of evidence that has been provided for you before you make your next comment. For in not doing so, one can only conclude just what I said, that you're not really interested in the whole truth, but only in the part that makes you angry. While being angry is not a bad thing, people should make damn sure they know what it is that they are angry about, because they do themselves a disservice when they don't ...

I would never dishonor any soldier (person) by pretending I don't understand.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:36 AM

9,513 posts, read 16,451,162 times
I still don't understand with the people that fly that flag, and refer to themselves frequently as southerners. Are they southerners first and Americans second? I ask because it's the only region of the US, where this seems to go on. It's as if the states in the southeast feel separate from the rest of the country. Or at least some give that impression.

I don't know why the officer is flying this flag. Especially with the job she has.. However I don't live there, and don't understand the culture to begin with. I guess to each their own. I hope she gets her job back.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:07 AM

15,755 posts, read 7,564,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I still don't understand with the people that fly that flag, and refer to themselves frequently as southerners. Are they southerners first and Americans second? I ask because it's the only region of the US, where this seems to go on. It's as if the states in the southeast feel separate from the rest of the country. Or at least some give that impression.

I don't know why the officer is flying this flag. Especially with the job she has.. However I don't live there, and don't understand the culture to begin with. I guess to each their own. I hope she gets her job back.
If one is a Christian Southerner, the priorities in order are, God first, Family second, Country third. However, for me there is a fourth priority, people are people, before they are anything else.

The Confederacy (rebel) was/is against a Centralized Federal Government. They believe in the state's sovereign rights to take care of their citizens without the Federal Government laws and regulations breathing down on their necks. ( ... to stand independent from the Union)

Before there was an income tax (only in play during times of war) then came the (Centralized) Federal Income Tax, (paid before the citizen can use it to take care of their family) although said to be a voluntary act, is not voluntary at all.

There are some that believe that the only thing a Centralized Federal Government is good for, is lining their pockets with their citizens money and they don't do anything with it, to actually help the citizen, but to render the citizen dependent on them from cradle to grave. (the citizen's potential earnings is also used to cut deals with other countries)

That is why there is a continued spirit of the Confederacy to wave the Rebel flag.

If I was that officer, I wouldn't want my job back, because there are some jobs in this country that it really isn't worth it. UN Backs Secret Obama Takeover of Police | LifeZette

Old 11-21-2016, 06:39 AM

274 posts, read 251,799 times
Why didn't the chief of police, or the good pastor, speak personally to the officer and suggest taking down the flag? It doesn't say they did in the article.

I propose a new flag for southern heritage: a plate of biscuits-n-gravy superimposed over crossed fried chicken legs on a field of sweet tea.

Or would the fried chicken be "microaggression", causing SJW snowflakes to pack the crying rooms?

My compliments to the sons and daughters of the South, who put up with so much of this PC malarkey, yet remain so friendly and hospitable to visitors.

Last edited by misterjimmy; 11-21-2016 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: spelling error affecting proper grammar

Old 01-21-2017, 11:00 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,903,050 times
A few folks in this thread mentioned how this was a likely outcome:

Quote:
ATLANTA (AP) — A former police officer fired for flying the Confederate flag at her suburban Atlanta home has filed a federal lawsuit saying her termination violates her constitutional right to free speech.

Silvia Cotriss had worked for the Roswell Police Department for about 20 years and was a sergeant when she was fired in July. The lawsuit was filed Wednesday against the city of Roswell, the police chief and the city administrator. ...
Former officer fired for flying Confederate flag sues city

Old 01-21-2017, 07:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,288,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
A few folks in this thread mentioned how this was a likely outcome:

Former officer fired for flying Confederate flag sues city
What would you think if some officer chose to fly an ISIS flag? Or one under a US flag flown upside down?

I tend to sympathize with the Lady on procedural grounds...she should have had an opportunity to heal the breach if the Dept wished to assert one.

But do Police officers have the same free speech rights the rest of us do if it tends to reflect on the Police Dept? I don't think so. They do not go to jail or such...but cannot be police officers.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:58 PM

It seemed inevitable that Ms. Cotriss would pursue a lawsuit. Looking back over this thread, I have quite a few posts expressing my thoughtviews re:, for example, this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
No doubt there will be a lawsuit.
Quote:
Papas v. Giuliani, 290 F.3d 143 (2002), was a case in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit held that the First Amendment to the United States Constitution was not violated where a police officer was fired for mailing out racially offensive political materials from his home.

...They quote Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. in the case McAuliffe v. Mayor of New Bedford, "A policeman may have a constitutional right to [speak his mind], but he has no constitutional right to be a policeman." ...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pappas_v._Giuliani

She may even win hers. Although I think she may be more of a liability to the department at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
What would you think if some officer chose to fly an ISIS flag? Or one under a US flag flown upside down?

I tend to sympathize with the Lady on procedural grounds...she should have had an opportunity to heal the breach if the Dept wished to assert one.

But do Police officers have the same free speech rights the rest of us do if it tends to reflect on the Police Dept? I don't think so. They do not go to jail or such...but cannot be police officers.
Long story short, I agree with Mr. Holmes, none of us, including Ms. Cotriss, have a constitutional right to be a police officer. Additionally, she is a liability to the department, the pending lawsuit will provide supporting details, evidence, info., etc.

As for flying the Confederate flag? Confederate-Americans were invited back into the United States of America more than a century ago, they've had more than enough time to assimilate, it would make much sense to do so.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 PM

This should come as no surprise:

Quote:
...Cotriss is also being represented by the Southern Legal Resource Center — a North Carolina non-profit noted for its ties to hate groups.

The Southern Poverty Law Center called Kirk Lyons, the group’s co-founder, a “white supremacist lawyer” with an “extensive extremist background.” He has worked with the Ku Klux Klan and the Aryan Nations, and married the daughter of an Aryan Nations leader at one of the group’s compounds — in a ceremony conducted by neo-Nazi Richard Butler.

The Law Center noted that Lyons and his group have been staunch defenders of the Confederate flag, and litigated it as a “heritage issue.” ...
Group with hate ties helps fired cop in Confederate flag suit - NY Daily News

Nor should this:

Quote:
Lyons told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution he “absolutely denies any association” with hate groups, despite all evidence otherwise.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:31 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,321,171 times
All southern states have had had confederate imagery in their flags I would think

Can we get any indigenous posters in city data to point out any states or provinces in America or Canada that are not white supremacist founded states? California, Washington ,Ontario, Massachusetts, Quebec, Maryland, Any ??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies