Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:27 AM

68,285 posts, read 54,088,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----and the conservatives hung their hopes-----

many Democrats could not "hang their hopes" on the hippy loving McGovern.

Minnesota, a strong Democrat state, went for Nixon in 72.
Well shame on Minnesotans........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,851,740 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
They don't have to ram planes into skyscrapers. They can simply throw themselves in headfirst into a modern-day Crusade in the Middle East between Muslims and Jews, claiming to be the Chosen Ones who God favors in victory, as LancasterNative claimed.

Uh...you might wanna go back and check my post again. That is not what I said.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:39 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,126,681 times
burdell--------why not --shame- every state that didn't go for the hippy loving McGovern? That would take a lot of typing because the only state McGovern did win was MA ( and DC)

Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of long haired,dope smoking, hippy freaks crying on tv the day after the election when they found out the hero they hitched their wagon to only carried --ONE -- state.

that told the "hippy people" how totally irrelevent they really were.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,193,869 times
The 60's and 70's were so liberal until globalisation happened.
Our imposing the 'free market' economy on poor (or 'primitive') nations is comparable to (forcefully) converting the heathens to one (Christian) religion in the middle ages.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
burdell--------why not --shame- every state that didn't go for the hippy loving McGovern? That would take a lot of typing because the only state McGovern did win was MA ( and DC)

Yeah, I remember seeing a lot of long haired,dope smoking, hippy freaks crying on tv the day after the election when they found out the hero they hitched their wagon to only carried --ONE -- state.

that told the "hippy people" how totally irrelevent they really were.
Yeah, didn't we get a GREAT deal with Mr "I am not a crook"? I guess HE found out how truly irrelevant he was while tucking his tail between his legs and running away from his accusers.

If it's a choice between some low-life like Nixon or being a dope-smoking freak well...............Don't Bogart that joint my friend!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:12 AM

1,409 posts, read 4,851,740 times
Quote:
the belief that somehow your nation, your people are superior over others and is meant to be something great while other nations are meant to bow down to you and be controlled by you is WRONG.
I agree...that idea is most certainly wrong. But that is not the same as American Exceptionalism (what our Founders believed).

No nation is inherently better than others. Human beings are ALL naturally sinful (Romans 3:23) and all nations are made up of...that's right, human beings! So we Americans share the same shortcomings/flaws as any other people.

What I believe, as did the Founders and most other generations of Americans, is that God has a special purpose in mind for the United States—unique in world history. That purpose includes (but isn't limited to) being a beacon of liberty and opportunity to all people.

Re-read the words of Emma Lazarus' poem that graces the base of the Statue of Liberty:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Does that sound like the sort of welcoming statement that would be appropriate for refugees seeking asylum in Albania, Burma or Venezuela? Think about it. What other nation has so willingly thrown open its doors and welcomed "unwashed" foreigners to come in, become part of us, and prosper?

That's not the same as claiming we are "better" people, or closer to God than anyone else. He only chose one nation in the history of the world to be His people—and that was ancient Israel.

Quote:
Rome experienced its most prosperous times (Pax Romana) when it was a society that mandated worship of Roman gods, and literally fed Christians to the lions in the Colisieum.
God had a purpose in mind for Rome, too! Remember "in those days, Caesar ordered a census of the whole world"? It was to participate in that census that Joseph & Mary headed to Bethlehem. God works in ways we sometimes don't even realize while it's happening. Yeah, Rome did some horrible things, but God's purpose was still being served. As they were martyred, those Christian astounded the Romans (and eventually won them over!) with their courage, fearlessness and faith.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, by the time the Roman Empire became an officially Christian state in the 4th century A.D., it was going downhill - fast. The Western Roman Empire fell about 100 years later in 476 A.D. to non-Christian barbarians from what is now Germany.
"Officially Christian" (as in a state-sponsored church) is not the same as being truly Christian in spirit. Just look at the UK today. By the 400s, Romans culturally had become decadent, depraved and awash in worldly pleasures. Self-gratification and sexual deviancy were all the rage in Rome's later days. Heck...by the Fall of Rome, some Germanic tribesmen (Franks, Visigoths, etal.) had become more Christian than the Romans!

Quote:
Where was Jesus then?
Watching, ruling, helping and guiding

Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I That's not the same as claiming we are "better" people, or closer to God than anyone else. He only chose one nation in the history of the world to be His people—and that was ancient Israel.

Let me first say I do not mean to be flip and though I'm certainly no stranger to sarcasm I'm not writing this with sarcasm intended but:

Doesn't it seem somewhat open to question that the book claiming the Isaraelites are God's chosen people was written by the Israelites?

Other reigions have evolved at other times in other parts of the world, how can any mere mortals claim to have certain knowledge of the unknowable?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:06 PM

272 posts, read 783,039 times
Wow....It sure got stirred up a bit eh?
Guess those on the left just can't take any sort of criticism....and have to scream at the top of their lungs in a vain attempt to make up for all their self imposed short comings...
The Bay Area in the 60's and 70's?....I was born and raised there....lived [somehow] through it all...so yes...I'm perfectly qualified to have my views on the subject...
Was not was?....Yup...sure was...

Here's a sailors perspective....My own...
The further from the coast you go...the deeper and bluer the ocean gets...

And now one from a sailor much more astute than myself....

'The Earth encourages man's belief that it will treasure the traces of his existence for all time...
The Sea offers no such illusion....before our very eyes...it wipes away our footprints...'

Old 02-22-2008, 12:27 PM

539 posts, read 1,918,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
I agree...that idea is most certainly wrong. But that is not the same as American Exceptionalism (what our Founders believed).

No nation is inherently better than others. Human beings are ALL naturally sinful (Romans 3:23) and all nations are made up of...that's right, human beings! So we Americans share the same shortcomings/flaws as any other people.

What I believe, as did the Founders and most other generations of Americans, is that God has a special purpose in mind for the United States—unique in world history. That purpose includes (but isn't limited to) being a beacon of liberty and opportunity to all people.

Re-read the words of Emma Lazarus' poem that graces the base of the Statue of Liberty:
"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Does that sound like the sort of welcoming statement that would be appropriate for refugees seeking asylum in Albania, Burma or Venezuela? Think about it. What other nation has so willingly thrown open its doors and welcomed "unwashed" foreigners to come in, become part of us, and prosper?

As of late, pretty much all of the Western nations have played the role of being a land of opportunity for "refugees" or immigrants from foreign lands seeking a better life.

A better life is relative anyway, like everything else in the universe. Moving from Somalia to Ethiopia may be one person's definition of seeking a better life. Me or you may not be too impressed with the idea of living in Ethiopia, but like I said for that Somalian, that may be the best thing going for him.

Quote:
That's not the same as claiming we are "better" people, or closer to God than anyone else. He only chose one nation in the history of the world to be His people—and that was ancient Israel.

God had a purpose in mind for Rome, too! Remember "in those days, Caesar ordered a census of the whole world"? It was to participate in that census that Joseph & Mary headed to Bethlehem. God works in ways we sometimes don't even realize while it's happening. Yeah, Rome did some horrible things, but God's purpose was still being served. As they were martyred, those Christian astounded the Romans (and eventually won them over!) with their courage, fearlessness and faith.

"Officially Christian" (as in a state-sponsored church) is not the same as being truly Christian in spirit. Just look at the UK today. By the 400s, Romans culturally had become decadent, depraved and awash in worldly pleasures. Self-gratification and sexual deviancy were all the rage in Rome's later days. Heck...by the Fall of Rome, some Germanic tribesmen (Franks, Visigoths, etal.) had become more Christian than the Romans!

Watching, ruling, helping and guiding

I basically quit listening here, my friend. I'm not Christian so none of this means anything to me, mainly because I don't believe it. But...............you are entitled to your own opinion.

I disagree wholeheartedly with you but I will defend to the death your right to express that opinion................that's a famous quote from some philospher, I want to say Thomas Hobbes, but I'm not sure. Anyway..........that's the greatest thing about America, is the fact that we can have such completely opposite views and are able to express them without fear of retribution or consequence.

I think at this point we can agree 1) to disagree, and 2) that America is a great country because of all of the freedoms that we have (or used to have - the Bush administration has done what they could to erode those freedoms away over the past few years).

_

Old 02-22-2008, 01:58 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,394,243 times
Quote:
I disagree wholeheartedly with you but I will defend to the death your right to express that opinion................that's a famous quote from some philospher, I want to say Thomas Hobbes, but I'm not sure.
Usually attributed to Voltaire, but there's not so much certainty of it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies