U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2017, 02:25 PM

15,815 posts, read 8,828,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Trump Beach Resort is owned by International Resorts Management Group - Trump licenses his name to IRMG but has nothing to do with ownership or management.
He does own Mar-a-Lago and uses foreign workers there and has for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2017, 02:39 PM

58,194 posts, read 41,018,063 times
Quote:
Trump Beach Resort is owned by International Resorts Management Group - Trump licenses his name to IRMG but has nothing to do with ownership or management.

What evidence is there that he licenses his name with no restrictions attached to its use? Most people whose name is worth $$$ would like to keep it that way by maintaining some control of how it's used.

Old 09-16-2017, 03:42 PM

32,490 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
He does own Mar-a-Lago and uses foreign workers there and has for years.
so do many other seasonal resorts. the reason is that americans, and employers would rather have long term employees, over ones that come in for 6 months and then move on to another job. it costs money to train new employees.

but again the difference here is that these companies use LEGAL immigrants to d othe jobs, not ILLEGAL immigrants.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:22 PM

2,215 posts, read 744,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
What a joke. Is he gonna deport them too?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/jes...-guest-workers
But that's not his hotel. He doesn't own it. Says right in the article the hotel is licensing his name.

Dezer Properties owns that hotel.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:26 PM

15,358 posts, read 4,053,162 times
Quote:
He has to do with signing an emergency EO to bring in 15K resort workers about 6 weeks ago...

Old 09-16-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
He has to do with signing an emergency EO to bring in 15K resort workers about 6 weeks ago...
LOL..I can tell what biased media you read

Actually that EO amended an Obama EO that increased foreign worker visas every year.
So NO, Trump did not increase foreign worker visas for his resort.

The 15K increase was decided upon by Dept of Labor/DHS and only good through the end of this year.

I would suggest you start going to the source and reading that instead of biased media opinions.

https://www.federalregister.gov/exec...ald-trump/2017

Old 09-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
LOL..I can tell what biased media you read

Actually that EO amended an Obama EO that increased foreign worker visas every year.
So NO, Trump did not increase foreign worker visas for his resort.

The 15K increase was decided upon by Dept of Labor/DHS and only good through the end of this year.
Ah, not HIS Department of Labor?

You are being silly.
Trump administration to allow for 15,000 more foreign workers - POLITICO

Notice the Headline - "Trump Administration to Allow for 15,000..."

No need to say more. They are taking American jobs. They didn't have to do this - in fact, they could have rolled back the existing program. They could have allowed ZERO.

I thought I've heard every excuse....but one that "it wasn't Trump" is truly fantastic.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

but again the difference here is that these companies use LEGAL immigrants to d othe jobs, not ILLEGAL immigrants.
They are only "legal" because Trump waved a magic wand and made them so. He or the GOP or the Congress and he could make it as legal - or not - as they like. And almost instantly.

Training? Great excuse. You really don't need much to staff the soft serve machine out on the cape or make beds or wash dishes.

Seasonal? So American college kids or those who graduated high school last Spring and don't want to do college - they couldn't use these jobs? You approve of these people sending money to another country?

Oh, thou hypocrites....

In summary, what I see here is that people are fine with immigrants...and fine with them taking our jobs also. So, can we dispense with all the threads and posts yapping about that now?

Old 09-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Ah, not HIS Department of Labor?

You are being silly.
Trump administration to allow for 15,000 more foreign workers - POLITICO

Notice the Headline - "Trump Administration to Allow for 15,000..."

No need to say more. They are taking American jobs. They didn't have to do this - in fact, they could have rolled back the existing program. They could have allowed ZERO.

I thought I've heard every excuse....but one that "it wasn't Trump" is truly fantastic.
I posted a link to the EO's signed by Trump. Try reading the source (EO itself) and not some biased media report.

Obama's 2012 EO increased foreign workers annually.
Trump amended that EO regarding administrative dealings with the workers. He didn't increase the workers.
He added DHS as a dept to also be an approver of said increase.

They get increased every year since 2012 when Obama signed that EO.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:51 PM

32,490 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Quote:
They are only "legal" because Trump waved a magic wand and made them so. He or the GOP or the Congress and he could make it as legal - or not - as they like. And almost instantly.

Training? Great excuse. You really don't need much to staff the soft serve machine out on the cape or make beds or wash dishes.

Seasonal? So American college kids or those who graduated high school last Spring and don't want to do college - they couldn't use these jobs? You approve of these people sending money to another country?

Oh, thou hypocrites....

In summary, what I see here is that people are fine with immigrants...and fine with them taking our jobs also. So, can we dispense with all the threads and posts yapping about that now?
it is obvious that you have NEVER worked in a hotel or a resort. i can tell you from experience working seasonal positions is tough working one place then moving again to try and get another job, then moving again. i did it for fourteen years in three different national parks.

and training maids takes a fair amount of time, its not just here is a vacuum and her eis how you make beds, there is much more to it than that. every hotel property/chain has certain standards that must be maintained if those properties wish to remain part of that chain.

in general it takes two weeks to properly train employees for a variety of jobs in any hotel. even the one that runs soft serve machines.

and college kids DO work summer jobs, but their schedule does not cover the entire season. for instance the season at skyland lodge in shenandoah national park starts in early april, and runs through late november. most chools dont get out until late may or early june, and go back in session in late august or early september, so there are a number of months that are not covered.

so how about you get out and work a seasonal job in a national park for a full season, or two, start where i did low those many years ago, at a four star/four diamond resort called jenny lake lodge in grand teton national park, and then come back and tell me it isnt hard to train someone to do housekeeping, or being a server in the restaurant, or working the front desk, or the kitchen, or any of the other jobs there.

or how about you work in human resources in the parks, and see how tough ti is to get americans to work those jobs just for the season. its hard enough to get people to clean rooms year around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or