U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 11:52 AM

9,948 posts, read 6,892,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Continue backing up? Do you believe that law enforcement officers should keep retreating from a threat rather than deal with it? Then some people might call them cowards.

Call for backup? I assume you don't mean on the radio. What's another cop supposed to do, stick his face in the way of the scissors?

I'm still waiting for someone to suggest that he should have shot the scissors out of her hand.
You should watch this guys videos. He was mall security at the Metro Mall in downtown Atlanta. He never shot anyone. Police can learn a lot from this guy.....although we went wayyyyyyyyy beyond what a security guard should do. He took no slit. A white cop probably would have shot everybody there....scared for his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMW9GEy8iZQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TFxibEJxhw

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-28-2016 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 12:05 PM

14,387 posts, read 7,721,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
What about the other officer that was standing directly behind her? I wonder how long he waited to shoot? Cause he could have panicked and missed and hit his partner...
At that distance it looks like there was very little chance of him missing his target.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
How about continue backing up and just call for damn backup!!!!! But he probably would have been the laughing stock of the police force for calling for backup....instead she became a MILK instead of a MILF.
Because his job isn't to retreat from danger, that's your job. His job is to eliminate or detain dangerous individuals. His job is to prevent that woman with a weapon from hurting other people and himself.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
You should watch this guys videos. He was mall security at the Metro Mall in downtown Atlanta. He never shot anyone. Police can learn a lot from this guy.....although we went wayyyyyyyyy beyond what a security guard should do. He took no slit. A white cop probably would have shot everybody there....scared for his life.

None of those people came after that guy with a weapon, he's not a police officer and he doesn't carry a gun.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:09 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,548,980 times
Quote:

Awesome videos. Some important things we can learn here:
There are times when people won't back up, and don't respect anything except force. Then they back up.
Sometimes it may be a race issue, but sometimes not. Black LEOs, as well as mall security guards, face the same challenges as white ones.
This could be considered a typical day in the life of someone who's responsible for keeping order. How many of us could really handle this, or worse, day in and day out?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Because his job isn't to retreat from danger, that's your job. His job is to eliminate or detain dangerous individuals. His job is to prevent that woman with a weapon from hurting other people and himself.
They need to understand the philosophy that sometimes you have to take a step back to make a leap forward. No one said that they have to "call it a day" and let the person get away. I am saying that that in order to preserve ALL LIVES, backup and find another way besides deadly force. Again....look at the videos I posted with the Mall Cop in Atlanta. He is still alive....

Old 07-28-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
None of those people came after that guy with a weapon, he's not a police officer and he doesn't carry a gun.
He does carry a gun!!!! Did you not see him pull his gun out in the second video after he tazed that guy?

Old 07-28-2016, 12:14 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,548,980 times
Quote:
They need to understand the philosophy that sometimes you have to take a step back to make a leap forward. No one said that they have to "call it a day" and let the person get away. I am saying that that in order to preserve ALL LIVES, backup and find another way besides deadly force. Again....look at the videos I posted with the Mall Cop in Atlanta. He is still alive....

Absolutely. Non-deadly force should always be the first option, whenever possible. In these videos (particularly the second), there were many against one but no one was armed with a deadly weapon and it sounded like they were just mouthing off rather than getting ready to assault him. Use of the Taser was a good choice, tho the guard did have to accept more personal risk.

I do think he should have one of the Tasers that fire multiple darts without reloading, since it looks like he often deals with groups, and he had to back up to reload and was vulnerable during that time.

Last edited by CapnTrips; 07-28-2016 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 12:15 PM

17,751 posts, read 15,658,618 times
Quote:
yeah its called culture clash. Hell even as a teen my girl friend was coaching me to say "I feel" instead of how it is. Told her I am not gonna start talking like a girl. Black culture responds to authority and sounding like you mean business sooner is better. The feminist are gonna solve this problem with sensitivity training in which case I could almost agree that it would be better to die than to submit to arrest with a guy wearing a tutu.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Awesome videos. Some important things we can learn here:
There are times when people won't back up, and don't respect anything except force. Then they back up.
Sometimes it may be a race issue, but sometimes not. Black LEOs, as well as mall security guards, face the same challenges as white ones.
This could be considered a typical day in the life of someone who's responsible for keeping order. How many of us could really handle this, or worse, day in and day out?
The thing is this. The Mall Cop likely is from the same background as many of the people he is dealing with. He knows that its mostly bluff and Bravado....but if you are not from the culture.....you might not know that and think those guys are going to kill you....and you get so scared you just shoot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or