U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:10 PM

2,637 posts, read 1,548,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You first pointed out that none of the people were armed....I then pointed out the Micheal Brown was not armed and quite a few other recent incidents people were not armed either. The incident in Baltimore was different because part of the charges was related to the transport and the the apprehension and no one was shot.

I never disagreed with what I thought was your point; that even with an unarmed citizen, a difference in perception about his behavior can lead to an escalation of force. I only question the assumption that it should be the LEOs responsibility to be culturally accommodating. I honestly don't recall the facts of Michael Brown case well, but don't people like Michael Brown also have an obligation, if at least for the sake of their own safety, to know when their conduct oversteps the bounds of the law or threatens a police officer?

The mechanical cause of death in the Brown case was different from the Gray case, but one of the big issues flying around is whether racism is a contributing cause to deaths in police custody. Maybe its me, but I'm seeing quite a few blacks in police uniform nowadays, as evidenced by the Gray officers. I'm not denying that racism exists among LEOs and everywhere else in the world, but I don't believe that is a major factor in most U.S. jurisdictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:07 PM

2,377 posts, read 1,196,474 times
Quote:
Micheal Brown stole a Cigar and grabbed the store owner by the collar when he was confronted. That is all I seen him do in the video. I grew up in the hood. There are some monsters and Micheal Brown hardly rates up there in my book. He seems like just a petty trouble maker.
Yes, there are some much dangerous criminals than him, but it's not making him an angel. I just imagine the fear of this 5 feet tall store owner when this huge thug approached him. The society is much better without this punk.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,891,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Yes, there are some much dangerous criminals than him, but it's not making him an angel. I just imagine the fear of this 5 feet tall store owner when this huge thug approached him. The society is much better without this punk.
You don't KNOW that such is true. Many petty punks have turned their lives around....if people who know me now had known things I done in my late teens.....I am sure that they would be incredulous or see me differently now. Right now, my co workers seem to think I have always been an angel. What was Ben Carson story?

Given Micheal Browns size....he could have really hurt the story owner. He probably could have killed him with punch....if he was the monster that people like you want him to be. But all he really did was scare the little guy. However, off with his head for such in the minds of people like you.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,797,906 times
Quote:
You don't KNOW that such is true. Many petty punks have turned their lives around....if people who know me now had known things I done in my late teens.....I am sure that they would be incredulous or see me differently now. Right now, my co workers seem to think I have always been an angel. What was Ben Carson story?

Given Micheal Browns size....he could have really hurt the story owner. He probably could have killed him with punch....if he was the monster that people like you want him to be. But all he really did was scare the little guy. However, off with his head for such in the minds of people like you.
Ah yes, poor misunderstood little Michael Brown. He was on his way to being a role model and contributor to society. I am sure he accidentally strong armed the clerk and mistakenly charged a cop who was just being a big bully to the poor little angel. If only he was supplied with a more forgiving society he would be on his way to being something useful.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:48 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,891,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Ah yes, poor misunderstood little Michael Brown. He was on his way to being a role model and contributor to society. I am sure he accidentally strong armed the clerk and mistakenly charged a cop who was just being a big bully to the poor little angel. If only he was supplied with a more forgiving society he would be on his way to being something useful.

Like I said.....I did not consider myself a thug at all....but I did stuff worse than he did in that video...a lot worse. I am not proud of it but I am proud to have eventually graduated from college with a BS in computer science, get a good paying job, start a family and live a productive life helping others. A lot of people who do dumb stuff are not really bad people....I know I was not.....I just was not thinking when I did the stuff I did. I would never do dumb slit like that now.

Micheal Brown was on the fence in my opinion. He could have went either way......college and a better life or a life of crime and prison.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,420,688 times
Good shooting...legal moral and ethical.
Taser inappropriate for situation...the escalation happened nearly immediately...we aren't expected to use less than lethal force when someone is using potentially lethal force
IF WE CAN fine...
There are more dead people with stab wounds from small sharp objects than any other weapon...my experience

What was the tox screen on her...anybody know?

Five shots happened in less than a second...so fire control was acceptable.

In reading through just this article this person had a history ...and issues... Where was her sue now family for those.. I predict loss or small nuidsnce settlement of civil sction

Recently San Francisco changed their range training...an officer is trained to fire twice and reassess each time. It will be interesting to me as the policy saturates what post shooting boards will reveal...I think it will get officers killed...if any of them can actually utilize it ...I think the policy was for fluff of a goofy city council.

Deadly force is used to stop the threats... They were stopped

This but job had a history....where was the use now family then?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:46 PM

2,612 posts, read 1,117,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

What was the tox screen on her...anybody know?
Blood tests came back positive for vegan.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM

20,611 posts, read 13,017,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
She isn't black. How is this newsworthy?
Another "minority" here, that woman was a Navajo Indian.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You think if I threw a woman to the ground and she came at me with scissors and I shot her five times, I'd get a pass?
I'd take my chances there since "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

Old 07-28-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
yeah its called culture clash. Hell even as a teen my girl friend was coaching me to say "I feel" instead of how it is. Told her I am not gonna start talking like a girl. Black culture responds to authority and sounding like you mean business sooner is better. The feminist are gonna solve this problem with sensitivity training in which case I could almost agree that it would be better to die than to submit to arrest with a guy wearing a tutu.
To be fair: I think you mean "hood rat/la raza/PWT culture" here; decent people of ANY "race" usually DON'T act like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or