Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:29 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Police do not shoot to wound.....they are trained to shot to kill. If the police pulls the trigger...they are trying to kill you.
Unfortunately, shooting to wound does not necessarily stop a potential threat. Shooting to stop a threat does exactly that.

In some shooting incidents there is no apparent threat. That needs to be remedied quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh good grief. She was a drunk woman who could have been easily disarmed by the two cops. If this had been an unarmed civilian, they would have just whacked her and taken the scissors away. Cops (and other shooters) need to be held to a reasonableness standard when declaring that they shot because they feared for their lives.

There is a reasonable standard: whether the officer reasonably believed his life was being threatened. There will be an investigation, and he will be judged on that objective basis. He will not be judged on whether you or I or anyone else think he could have done better. That is not a reasonableness standard.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This is where you lose me. You are STILL making excuses for MB but making the police officer out to be the guy that made a bad judgment call. MB is solely responsible for making a bad decision. I will not make excuses for thug behavior.
The judgement call on the taking of a life is largely determined by the value and worth of the life that was taken as seen by the one doing the judging. I fully EXPECT that regardless of whether MB punched the cop....you see his life as having little value and worth....hence, the taking of his life will never be a bad judgement call. You probably see it as a tax savings.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:59 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,984,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Unfortunately, shooting to wound does not necessarily stop a potential threat. Shooting to stop a threat does exactly that.

In some shooting incidents there is no apparent threat. That needs to be remedied quickly.

When I was in my criminal law class in college. My professor was a police chief also. I asked him why not shoot them in the leg. He said the same thing. You are trained to shoot in the chest to neutralize the target as fast as possible.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
That is correct. In order for a PO to pull their weapon at all, he must be able to demonstrate that deadly physical force is warranted, i.e., that he is reasonable fear for his life. Shooting to wound is never justified, not only is it much harder to do, it is much less likely to stop an attack. Even shooting to kill sometimes fails to stop an attack.

Frankly, suggesting that cops should "shoot to wound, " or the related suggestion "shoot the weapon out of his hand" tells me that the person suggesting it has no knowledge of firearms, does not know how to shoot, and has never had to face down deadly physical force on the street. This is not a criticism of the person, its a recognition that they just don't have the facts to judge the situation.
Going from shooting to wound....then throwing in the package deal "Shooting the gun out of the persons hand"....sounds like pork barrel politics. Who the hell is suggesting that they shoot the gun or scissors out of someones hand....lol? That is ridiculous. I posted a video with 6 cops, who were standing at least 50 ft away, shoot a person at least 30 times and all he has was a little pocket knife. All of the seemed to open up at the same time. That was totally uncalled for.

You can shoot to wound.....use a taser, wait for backup.....OR JUST DON"T BECOME A DAMN COP!!!!

Old 07-29-2016, 11:07 AM

You know....a lot of the violence in the black community is based off of fear too. How often do people think, when they hear a shooting in the black community, that the person who did it was in fear for their life? If someone out to kill you and so you kill them to preempt them killing you....why is that considered savagery. If the police cannot stop a person from killing me, who says he is going to kill me, then why does not my fear justify me killing that person first in a drive by?

If Mike Brown did everything that he did that day....to me......and I shot and killed him in a drive by.....you would consider me just as much of a thug as him.....IF NOT MORE.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:15 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Video Released od Police Officer Shooting and Killing Navajo Native With Scissors

headline should read

Video released of woman with scissors attacking police officer and is shot.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:16 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
The judgement call on the taking of a life is largely determined by the value and worth of the life that was taken as seen by the one doing the judging. I fully EXPECT that regardless of whether MB punched the cop....you see his life as having little value and worth....hence, the taking of his life will never be a bad judgement call. You probably see it as a tax savings.
I see MB as contributing absolutely NOTHING to society. If he was doing something productive to better his life I would feel differently. Why don't you ask the store clerk he assaulted if he was a contributor to society or just a thug. Do I see it as a tax payer savings? HELL YES!!! If you want to pick somebody to feel sorry for pick somebody who is more of a role model, not a thug.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I see MB as contributing absolutely NOTHING to society. If he was doing something productive to better his life I would feel differently. Why don't you ask the store clerk he assaulted if he was a contributor to society or just a thug. Do I see it as a tax payer savings? HELL YES!!! If you want to pick somebody to feel sorry for pick somebody who is more of a role model, not a thug.

Judge Mathis

Judge Greg Mathis was a member of the notorious Detroit street gang, the Errol Flynns. At age 17, he was incarcerated after being arrested several times. After his release, Mathis went to college where he became a campus activist; and he was later elected a superior court judge for Michigan’s 36th District.
Today, Mathis hosts his own television show.

Actor Christian Slater suffered some setbacks when he served 59 days in jail after assault on his girlfriend and a police officer. He had been arrested prior to that for drunk driving, boarding a plane with a gun and another episode of assault. After jail and rehab, he was able to successfully turn his career around and enjoy a comeback.

15 Surprising Ex-Convicts (Who Made it Big) - Arrest Records.com

http://newsone.com/1650045/top-5-cri...-lives-around/

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-29-2016 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-29-2016, 11:26 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
You forfeit your rights when you violate the non-aggression principle.

How is that so hard to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies