Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think FDR was a good President?
Yes 84 59.57%
No 49 34.75%
Not sure 8 5.67%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:19 PM

593 posts, read 1,378,114 times

Advertisements

I see them all the time. I live in a red state. Theyz calls theyz selfs Republicans.

Remind me of that Hyena on Lion King. You know the one that cant stop slobbering and laughing. All the while biting their own leg and happy about it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 10:56 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I can only imagine the horror you felt when Reagan did that.
I did. Thievery does not become correct by changing the presiding thieves.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:03 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
During the depression.
FDR set prices and wages, that isn't the free market.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:38 AM

2,919 posts, read 1,983,944 times
FDR was the best President in our nation's history, hands down. None have ever been perfect, including FDR, but he was the best in my opinion. Many households had portraits of FDR hanging on the wall like he was a cherished member of the family. That's the impact he had on the American people.

Even Reagan loved him because of how much he did to help the poor during the Great Depression (father Jack became director of the local WPA, brother Neil was also employed by the WPA), until his morale values became corrupted by money after he became a successful actor. Then all of a sudden he became a fan of Calvin Coolidge. Someone most people would consider a failed President, but who the rich idolize because his tax cuts favored the wealthy. But that's for another thread.

We often hear people say, "History will decide how good of a President (fill in the name) was.". Personally, it seems to make more sense that the people who lived during a specific era would have a better sense of the times they lived in, what was happening around the country, and whether a President's decisions were good or not. Looking back at history we only have facts that we've been taught or have researched ourselves. We don't have the full context of the times because we weren't there. It's very easy to look back and criticize.

I'd like to clear up a myth that I've seen posted here and in the history forum. FDR did not search safe deposit boxes to take their gold. That happened in rare cases. Executive Order 6102 required citizens to give up most of their gold due to hoarding during a serious financial crises, and people complied. The actual facts:

https://www.usmoneyreserve.com/blog/...-gold-in-1933/

And here, scroll down to where they mention the hoax:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

FDR made serious, tough decisions regarding how to solve the banking crises, how to help the poor during the Great Depression, was a great war time President, created Social Security to help the elderly to survive and free up jobs for younger workers that still helps senior citizens today (after decades of many of them being highly under-paid for their hardwork making it impossible to save for retirement), etc., etc., etc. He was definitely the right man for the job during that era. Instead of tearing him down one would think people could at least recognize the fact he was a great President because of the terrific job he did leading the nation during WW II.

And even some of the things he tried doing that on the surface seem preposterous, makes sense, or sort of makes sense when you listen to his reasoning. On court-packing, for example:

You can read or listen to it here: Fireside Chat 9: On “Court-Packing” (March 9, 1937)

I can only imagine the replies I'll get to this.

Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,997,165 times
F.reaking D.elayed R.ecovery...

Old 07-30-2016, 09:12 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
F.reaking D.elayed R.ecovery...
Which countries were fully recovered from the Great Depression on Sept. 1, 1939, please.

And thanks for the user name, it reinforces the impression that the right had nothing but attack as a argument.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:14 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Was FDR a good President?

Yes, indeed he was.

According to presidential historians, FDR is the #2 president behind Lincoln and ahead of Washington.

Lots of amusing wrong opinions from the right in this thread, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

Old 07-30-2016, 10:07 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
FDR did some good things. He also did some very bad things for personal liberty.
Executive order 6102 for example. If you owned gold and stored it in a safe deposit box you got robbed by the fed. 6102 alone makes me question how good a President he really was.
Under his watch Pearl Harbor happened. GWB to this day is tar and feathered over 911. He didn't loose an entire fleet.
Many claim that FDR had enough intel to have acted, but chose to allow the attack. I don't necessarily buy into that. I believe he underestimated the threat.
The man did great things to help keep Americans working and Fed. Today the left would scream bloody murder if a President even thought about putting people to work on government jobs for Minimum wage and no benefits. LOL
He had multiple affairs that would make Bill Clinton look like a saint.
Was he a good President? Good for some things, remarkable for some things and for some like 6102 he was a damned thief.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Was FDR a good President?

Yes, indeed he was.

According to presidential historians, FDR is the #2 president behind Lincoln and ahead of Washington.

Lots of amusing wrong opinions from the right in this thread, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor..._United_States

"According to presidential historians"....

Are we going to think for ourselves or let the Progressive Parrots determine what we think? You already answered for yourself with the Wiki reference.

The first "presidential scholar" we stumble across in your cite, and whom you of course presumably assume to be neutral and objective, like you, is Arthur M. Schlesinger Sr., a left wing collectivist progressive professor at left wing collectivist progressive Harvard University.

THIS is who we are going to believe as a dispassionate observer and presidential ranksperson? Let's exercise that brain and just look at what happened. FDR strongly advocated and implemented redistributive theft. Taking from people according to their ability, and redistributing to people according to their need. He was a thief and a despot, and betrayed his vows to his wife in a wholesale manner, and was a disgusting collectivist statist hater of freedom, liberty, private property, and Capitalism.

Presidential historians be DAMNED. Use your own brain and your own observation. Reality tells us what he was, not "presidential historians" from the academic collectivist-statist club.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:45 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
By reality I think you mean "right wing propaganda". Or do you have a list of books and other material that you're relying on for your educated estimate of the man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies