Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this schools hair policy?
YES 48 34.78%
NO 90 65.22%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 12:58 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I went to a catholic school in india & we had a very strict dress code & uniforms. Almost military type discipline. It kept us in check. Socio-economic status of the families was one of the main concerns as some kids in public schools would show off their wealth, status through clothes & that would affect the self esteem of other kids. So all the elite schools opted for uniforms. I wish the schools here had uniforms as well. It might solve some of the bullying issue & remove focus from vanity.
I can honestly say as a person who attended school in a district that switched to uniforms when I was elementary school, that it makes no difference.

Uniforms can be just as divisive as another form of clothing. The only thing that would actually solve the issue would be for the schools themselves to actually sell uniforms to parents and say that those specific uniforms would be the only ones they could wear.

As for the hair policy, it just doesnt make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 12:59 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Perhaps instead of making a rule about hair they should simply say they are adopting military school rules. Uniforms, crew cuts for boys, etc. That actually might not be a bad idea for low performing schools. Take their minds off style, sneakers, brand names, fitting in and make school about school. Perhaps have fundraisers to help buy uniforms for those that can't afford them.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Who said conservatives were for this?

That is about as Progressive and controlling as it gets.
It is great that you are against this, but hair style being dictated to an individual fits no where on the left side of the political aisle.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It is great that you are against this, but hair style being dictated to an individual fits no where on the left side of the political aisle.
It fits big government, and we know which side wants greater control over people via big government.

Which side says the government can force people to buy a product from corporations just because they are alive?

Which side has pushed to dictate the size of a soda you can buy?

Which side supports forcing people to join organizations in order to get certain jobs?

There are also big government types on the right, but they are slowly being shunned.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:56 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The only thing it can be called is authoritarian, but that can mean either left or right.

The authoritarian left absolutely has a history of prohibiting distinctive expressions of national/ethnic identity. This happened to my people in the ussr. The authoritarian right may also do the same to minority groups. Actually same thing also happened to my people during the (multiethnic) russian empire, which can be called right-wing, whereas the ussr was left.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:25 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
At least the issue is being decided at the local level where the parents have recourse. The parents can band together to fight the school board for change of rule or send their children to another school. I also wonder what the racial make up of the school is? if school has a good size minority population I would consider the rule racist. I wish those parents luck in defeating those petty tyrants.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:40 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
this BOXING has got to stop... you are trying to bind up people in instead of dealing with the issues-- any teen, the more you restrict- the more they will rebel- in this case, Id be calling every parent of the school to boycott and protest

The policy says that students can't have their hair in cornrows, braids, twists, and dread locks. It also says students cannot wear braids, and that cutout designs are forbidden. The new policy also has rules for male students. Under the policy, they cannot have hair beyond their shoulders, and it cannot go below their eyebrows. They are also forbidden to have highlights or colored hair not qualified as a "natural hair color." Additionally, students cannot have hair colors that are two-toned, or sharply contrasting.

no highights ????? are they completely nuts -- and wonder why peopel riot?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:53 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
I pulled up a few more articles. Seems they consider these hairstyles a distraction. What? I'm almost 51 years old and while I did not go to to school with many AA kids, cornrows and braids were common among the AA girls I went to school with. I wore braids myself, sometimes wore my hair in French braids. Oh my! Would this rule also apply to my Caucasian head of hair? This is insanity.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:54 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
If you restrict enough, do the qualifications for rebelling become more minor? Wasn't Elvis Presley considered rebellion at one point?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:55 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,085,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
This is ridiculous. Braided hair is actually neater than bed head and some of the other unruly styles kids wear. And the dreadlocks ban is a potential violation of freedom to practice religion, if the child's family is Rastafarian. It would be akin to banning the curly sidelocks (sorry I don't know their name) for Orthodox Jewish boys or the turbaned hair knot for male Sikhs. Only styles that are a visual obstruction (like a giant Mohawk) or inciting violence (gang symbols shaved into head) should be banned.
Funny how this application of reason doesn't also then apply to NFL football names and college mascots.

" Freedom to practice, but don't offend"

When Florida state wants to keep their Seminoles mascot, protestors line up. And " freedom to practice religion" that you champion above, doesn't seem to apply to Christians who are publicly displaying their religion. Freedom to wear t- shirts in high school or display political bumper stickers supporting "ANY" candidate. Lecturing on hypocrisy is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies