U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this schools hair policy?
YES 48 34.78%
NO 90 65.22%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 06:14 AM

45,928 posts, read 34,102,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
/

Butler Traditional High School | Home

from their previous school pictures they are very diverse you see braids and very nice looking kids- not to say they do not have their bad boys n girls group but its just uncalled for-- they plan to suspend and reject someone with highlights? really? just teach will ya!
60% white
33% black
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 AM

13,359 posts, read 7,036,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
60% white
33% black
As I suspected..

It's definitely a policy that one would reasonably believe would disproportionately affect blacks.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 AM

79,492 posts, read 33,688,908 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cVpkzZpDBA

Old 07-29-2016, 06:29 AM

4,017 posts, read 2,061,666 times
agreed. I wish the public schools would adopt this. anymore public schools become a fashion show and turns into bullying. Children are there to learn not show off. Too many school officials and liberals always cry that "Children should be allowed to express themselves". Well they can, after school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I went to a catholic school in india & we had a very strict dress code & uniforms. Almost military type discipline. It kept us in check. Socio-economic status of the families was one of the main concerns as some kids in public schools would show off their wealth, status through clothes & that would affect the self esteem of other kids. So all the elite schools opted for uniforms. I wish the schools here had uniforms as well. It might solve some of the bullying issue & remove focus from vanity.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 AM

5,020 posts, read 5,940,819 times
Everyone should be entitled to wear their hair the way they like. On the flip side, a grown man with cornrows looks pathetic.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 2,725,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Sorry a VERY POOR attempt to insult.

Conservatives are FOR LIMITED FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

If you think this makes me a hypocrite, I guess it makes you a liar for making a FALSE accusation.
I guess the truth hurts.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:11 AM

2,736 posts, read 5,956,604 times
well jeez, i'd rather see someone in cornrows, dreads or braids rather than a messy gob of unwashed hair...how 'bout make that a rule!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:10 AM

17,086 posts, read 9,884,876 times
No braids? I'm pretty sure I see braids in the student photos on the school's website. Am I missing something?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:28 AM

33,371 posts, read 20,146,331 times
Quote:
I went to a catholic school in india & we had a very strict dress code & uniforms. Almost military type discipline. It kept us in check. Socio-economic status of the families was one of the main concerns as some kids in public schools would show off their wealth, status through clothes & that would affect the self esteem of other kids. So all the elite schools opted for uniforms. I wish the schools here had uniforms as well. It might solve some of the bullying issue & remove focus from vanity.
I also went to a Catholic school.

In my humble opinion, Love it or hate it, different style of clothing, hair style, etc are going to be a part of modern life. May as well learn to deal with it as soon as possible instead of singling it out as a bad demon that needs to be killed to normal people who wouldn't make much of a fuss about it otherwise.

For your information, uniforms do not make this (bullying issue) go away.

While uniforms may seem like they would do away with bullying based on what you are wearing, all uniforms do is make kids focus on smaller things to make fun of others for. I have been bullied by bigger girls, once or twice, I learned to defend myself. That (self defense, fighting back) solved the problem.

By the way, I also learned how to work around skirt rule quickly. =)

Old 07-29-2016, 08:35 AM

26,366 posts, read 24,542,381 times
Quote:
I agree
the Catholics used to say, if you dress like little ladies and gentlemen, you'll act like ladies and gentlemen and I agree....
I wish all the schools would actually demand uniforms...that way there would be no room to bully b/c someone can't afford clothes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies