U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you support this schools hair policy?
YES 48 34.78%
NO 90 65.22%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2016, 03:13 PM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,014,780 times
Reputation: 1713

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Absolutely not! there was no reason provided in that article. WHY??

and for any conservatives who believes in less gov't intrusion into citizens' lives, but who are for this, you are a hypocrite.
It's whats called a 'traditional' school. I graduated from the first one in Louisville in 91... we had dress codes, hair length, etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2016, 04:06 PM
 
5,382 posts, read 2,197,666 times
Reputation: 1468
Absolutely. After investigating this school, I see no problem with enforcing a hair policy. It already has a dress code. It is a highly rated school and its student body reflects positively regarding diversity in that it enrolls 3 times the percentage of black students to the total % of blacks who make up the community and enrolls 66% of white students from an over all white population of $81%.

It appears that the school provides an excellent foundation for success and if that means a little conforming to a hair code, then so be it.

Butler Traditional High School - Louisville, Kentucky - KY - School details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 04:09 PM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 2,014,780 times
Reputation: 1713
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Absolutely. After investigating this school, I see no problem with enforcing a hair policy. It already has a dress code. It is a highly rated school and its student body reflects positively regarding diversity in that it enrolls 3 times the percentage of black students to the total % of blacks who make up the community and enrolls 66% of white students from an over all white population of $81%.

It appears that the school provides an excellent foundation for success and if that means a little conforming to a hair code, then so be it.

Butler Traditional High School - Louisville, Kentucky - KY - School details
It is a good school... it's a 'magnet', well most high schools are magnets now. Kids have to apply to go to a school outside of their home district.... which sucks for traffic and buses but, it has really separated the upper tier schools and the under performing ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 04:32 PM
Status: "What's 100 minus 48 plus 5?" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Posting from my space yacht.
8,066 posts, read 3,165,147 times
Reputation: 14563
If any sort of dress code beyond those meant to ensure young ladies don't wear anything too revealing can be considered appropriate than so can hairstyle restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Caribbean
7,577 posts, read 2,440,243 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I was thinking the same thing. When the girls who previously wore braids and cornrows start sporting ginormous Afros, the school will wish they had left well enough alone.
That's exactly what should happen. Let the girls with thick, kinky hair and/or curls start to wear their hair open. Then they will see how their idiocy has backed them into a corner. LOL.

The policy reeks of ignorance though. Braids and cornrows help young girls, especially those of African descent, maintain healthy hair. But hey...you cant expect anything much from ignorant people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:50 PM
 
20,611 posts, read 13,017,154 times
Reputation: 5905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That's exactly what should happen. Let the girls with thick, kinky hair and/or curls start to wear their hair open. Then they will see how their idiocy has backed them into a corner. LOL.

The policy reeks of ignorance though. Braids and cornrows help young girls, especially those of African descent, maintain healthy hair. But hey...you cant expect anything much from ignorant people.
Agreed. I saw a Black lady with corn rows today and; they looked really nice, def NOT trashy on her at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 07:54 PM
 
5,465 posts, read 2,022,856 times
Reputation: 6928
Kentucky. That's all I need to know and it explains e v e r y t h i n g.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 08:08 PM
 
79,328 posts, read 33,653,273 times
Reputation: 15870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Kentucky. That's all I need to know and it explains e v e r y t h i n g.
Hampton University’s Cornrows And Dreadlock Ban: Is It Right?

Hampton University's Cornrows And Dreadlock Ban: Is It Right?

Afro puffs and braids have been banned by an Ohio school. Specifically “small twisted braids” have been deemed unacceptable at The Horizon Science Academy in Lorain, Ohio.

Read more at Afro Puffs And Braids Banned By Ohio School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,271 posts, read 12,137,304 times
Reputation: 8791
So reading this, you can't see a problem? The high school did not even accept highlights. Or two toned colors. Robots. What they needed is the school student council to vote on this. The college is paid,, this is public!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2016, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,271 posts, read 12,137,304 times
Reputation: 8791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
It's whats called a 'traditional' school. I graduated from the first one in Louisville in 91... we had dress codes, hair length, etc....
We are in 2016???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top