U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support this schools hair policy?
YES 48 34.78%
NO 90 65.22%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 AM

7,637 posts, read 2,450,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed. I saw a Black lady with corn rows today and; they looked really nice, def NOT trashy on her at all.
Braiding is a longstanding tradition. Of course, there are trashy ways to do everything but to ban braiding altogether is foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 11:55 AM

7,637 posts, read 2,450,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Hampton University’s Cornrows And Dreadlock Ban: Is It Right?

Hampton University's Cornrows And Dreadlock Ban: Is It Right?

Afro puffs and braids have been banned by an Ohio school. Specifically “small twisted braids” have been deemed unacceptable at The Horizon Science Academy in Lorain, Ohio.

Read more at Afro Puffs And Braids Banned By Ohio School
The first is different. The ban is limited to male business students and for the purpose of helping them to secure employment in corporate America.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:08 PM

4,069 posts, read 1,564,348 times
Hmmm. I wonder if the flattop hair cut I had in High school (think 1961/64) be okay....

Old 07-31-2016, 09:19 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,008,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To be honest, i like the rule...for boys, but not for girls.

But i couldn't support it regardless just because the principle stinks. But i do like the rule for the boys...i gotta admit it.
Why? I love braids on black men especially when pulled back into a neat pony tail...which it appears is still allowed at this school...hmmm. My own son did the dread thing and while I'm not a big dread person, he's still cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
At least the issue is being decided at the local level where the parents have recourse. The parents can band together to fight the school board for change of rule or send their children to another school. I also wonder what the racial make up of the school is? if school has a good size minority population I would consider the rule racist. I wish those parents luck in defeating those petty tyrants.
Exactly.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:38 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,521,430 times
It makes me wonder if they are trying to get African-American parents who cannot afford to have their daughters' hair relaxed withdraw their children from the school. I'm sure they would quickly ban unbound, natural hair if it appeared in their classrooms. Telling children they need to apply strong chemicals to their heads to avoid punishment from authorities is just all kinds of awful.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:46 AM

20,611 posts, read 13,027,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
It makes me wonder if they are trying to get African-American parents who cannot afford to have their daughters' hair relaxed withdraw their children from the school. I'm sure they would quickly ban unbound, natural hair if it appeared in their classrooms. Telling children they need to apply strong chemicals to their heads to avoid punishment from authorities is just all kinds of awful.
Agreed and; what would happen if some anglo white kid "rocked" that woolly hair assuming it was "natural".

Old 07-31-2016, 10:07 AM

15,540 posts, read 17,773,692 times
I would oppose a policy that restricts certain hairstyles.

I would accept a policy that requires a single, uniform hairstyle (such as a crewcut).

The first is just wide open to charges of selective discrimination. The latter would be applied equally ipso facto.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:13 AM

4,491 posts, read 1,674,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
High school's hair policy: No cornrows, braids or dreadlocks | WKYC.com

This is kind of ridiculous now. What determines the standards in this country!
Your name cant be too black or you wont get hired and with this your hair cant be too black.
Micromanaging things at this level is stupid. Period. No matter who does it.

Now, a private school technically has the right to do this, even if I think it's something only *******s could support. But a public school doing this is too much. It's subject to public oversight and this sort of thing should never be supported. It's one thing to expect people to have some basic hygiene, but this goes well beyond that. But some people are control freaks. Best the sane people can do is call them idiots and hope that reason prevails.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:35 AM

20,288 posts, read 12,151,911 times
rem the gal who worse a natural afro and it has huge was put out of her school- this was couple of years back-- MAKE UP YOUR MINDS-- control freaks

ww.khou.com/news/local/texas/mom-upset-after-school-reprimands-girl-for-wearing-afro-puff/166759670

Florida girl threatened with expulsion over her afro hair | Daily Mail Online

The Messed-Up Reason This Girl Got Suspended for Wearing Her Natural Hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies