Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:19 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Once again, who said anything about solving problems?

So then why ? Please do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 08:24 AM

20,707 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
More gun laws written by people who don't know anything about guns.

Its not a law. Its Caesar's edict. Laws go thorough the Legislature. And all this does is , as usual, protect big business.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Because the great messiah cannot lead his way out of a paper bag he has to do cheap publicity stunts like this. Must be too much work for his incompetent, lazy brain to actually do his job and get a law passed.

What a worthless turd.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:26 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
https://www.nraila.org/articles/2016...ve-gun-control

http://pmddtc.state.gov/compliance/A...0(Publish).pdf

"The upshot is that DDTC is labeling commercial gunsmiths as “manufacturers” for performing relatively simple work such as threading a barrel or fabricating a small custom part for an older firearm. Under the AECA, “manufactures” are required to register with DDTC at significant expense or risk onerous criminal penalties. "

"These requirements apply, even if the business does not, and does not intend to, export any defense article. Moreover, under ITAR, “only one occasion of manufacturing … a defense article” is necessary for a commercial entity to be considered “engaged in the business” and therefore subject to the regime’s requirements."

For example, DDTC generally labels procedures that involve cutting, drilling, or machining of an existing firearm in order to improve its accuracy or operation or to change its caliber as “manufacturing,” even if they do not create a new and distinct firearm. This includes threading a muzzle for a muzzle brake or blueprinting that requires machining of a barrel.

On the other hand, DDTC contends that gunsmithing includes only very simple procedures, such as the one-for-one drop-in replacement of parts that do not require cutting, drilling, or machining for installation. But even then, if the parts “improve the accuracy, caliber, or other aspects of firearm operation,” “manufacturing” may occur. Finishing treatments for firearms generally are not considered manufacturing under the guidance, nor are cosmetic flourishes such as engraving. Meanwhile the mounting of a scope that involves the machining of new dovetails or the drilling and tapping of holes may or not be “manufacturing,” depending on whether the scope improves the accuracy of the firearm beyond its prior configuration. "

so basically if you mount a scope, you're altering the gun and making it more accurate, so you're now breaking the law unless you pay a ridiculous amount of money ($2,250 per year) to be certified as a manufacturer.

or maybe not, it's ambiguous at best!
The document, itself,(Second link) denies the claims made in the article written by the NRA-ILA (First link)
I recommend reading the document for yourself, and ignoring the alarmist poppycock from the NRA folks.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times
Just a glimpse of what kind of stuff we could expect with a HRC presidency.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
The document, itself,(Second link) denies the claims made in the article written by the NRA-ILA (First link)
I recommend reading the document for yourself, and ignoring the alarmist poppycock from the NRA folks.
Is that right? perhaps you'd like to point out the inaccuracies. I read it.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:36 AM

76 posts, read 56,809 times
Its not alarmist, its goal is to make owning and working on guns more expensive. It will put some smaller GS out of business. It will make for higher prices and longer waits. Its BS totally and has nothing as a real world goal other than this. Does this also apply to an owner doing the work himself?

Old 07-29-2016, 08:54 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Im not a gunsmith per se....but I like to build my own guns. 1911s mostly, but I've put a few ARs together too. Am I a manufacturer? And, just mounting a scope could be illegal now? Hmm, tightening the clamps on a P rail could give the cops a reason to cuff n stuff you now. Yepper, got a few LEOs getting all excited. Of course they can build or modify their firearms, and now they can just confiscate what they want from citizens.

What a blatantly dictatorial move. Obama is our Idi Amin. It will be interesting , though, to see how the feds will enforce this.Kinda spooky to think about.....

Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Im not a gunsmith per se....but I like to build my own guns. 1911s mostly, but I've put a few ARs together too. Am I a manufacturer? And, just mounting a scope could be illegal now? Hmm, tightening the clamps on a P rail could give the cops a reason to cuff n stuff you now. Yepper, got a few LEOs getting all excited. Of course they can build or modify their firearms, and now they can just confiscate what they want from citizens.

What a blatantly dictatorial move. Obama is our Idi Amin. It will be interesting , though, to see how the feds will enforce this.Kinda spooky to think about.....
Post #10 seems to be in agreement......most likely many just like her. No understanding of were this can lead, but they follow blindly!

Old 07-29-2016, 09:32 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Post #10 seems to be in agreement......most likely many just like her. No understanding of were this can lead, but they follow blindly!
Indeed, this is what they call "common sense". Yea..sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies