U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:43 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,660,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He was 19. Yes I believe he should be able to possess pot. Students do thousands and thousands of times of day on campuses all around the country.
Appears he may have been selling on campus......that's a no no!

Quote:
What does it say that you have to single out his race? No one should get arrested.
Look if you can't take time to read the OP, why even take the time to ask me! It was an Indian school.....read it!

Quote:
It has nothing to do with this story.
I am assuming you are educated, again read the darn article........I see why you would vote "green" the party that doesn't have to think, much!

Here I will help YOU! Why is the reservation not dealing with these kids, after all, they are the ones asking for the government to stay out of their lives. Seems this would be an easy fix, don't you think?

“There are major crimes that occur in Indian country where the federal government has jurisdiction, and they fail to investigate, and they fail to prosecute,” he said.

In recent years, there has been growing outrage about how the government responds to sexual assaults and rapes that occur on Native American reservations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,419,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
No criminal record. I guess there's a reason why you never made detective before you retired.

Charges weren't even filed until a year after the incident occurred. Guy didn't even have anything on him. He gave a friend 20 dollars to buy him the gram.

You've said numerous times over the years that authorities never arrest people for simple possession cases anymore, and that's why there is no need to change the laws. Is this yet another example of you being incorrect? Seems to be.
Every policeman is a detective... In many agencies being a detective is a step backwards or sideways... Most people gravitate towards it not because they are columbo but because they want a day shift gig to raise a family..women gravitate to it because patrol shift work is brutal..and dealing with the public is unpleasant to overtly dangerous...I think handling a case load of up to 250 victims monthly and solving very few of them would get depressing. Most cases are solved by solid police work of a patrol officer... And/or the information gleaned from the people whom they arrest. In the case of drugs it usually means careful working of a snitch. Turning them into a treasure trove of information to clear crimes.. Most suspects are more familiar how the system works than the person arresting them.... Most start snitching in the back of the radiocar before they hit the back booking door of the station. This is especially true of marijuana folks... Because they think what they're doing is no big deal and are only too happy to snitch for a reduction of their case.
In my career I got to have the privilege of special assignments vastly different and more challenging than detective bureau..this has continued....and while I'm still able until the near future... I know you hate to hear that I get to focus on stopping the flow of your special magic drug into our world... It is what it is... You promote drugs..I don't

Life is not an absolute...in all things except life and death...
This brain surgeon CHOOSE to violate a law in a special jurisdiction..federal property... I would suggest people who think there is somehow a kings x for their behavior in all locations should perhaps make themselves more aware

In the end of the day does this strike fear into the psyche of every pothead...doubtful This person will not see any incarceration... Federal prosecutors have bigger fish to fry...
But it does make for good press and a rallying cry for all those who seek a life less realized through the pursuit of drugs. Actually from what I know from federal officers they cite for marijuana...difference being federal violations can be misdemeanors and the cite becomes basically a book and field release. How do you know he has no record. Because of what someone wrote... You don't have access to the prosecutor's charging file do you?... Nope..just another internet story you've taken as gospel...that's usually a mistake..the article is call sbout social justice ... He will be subject to a fine... I think he will pay it... Judge will probably charge him 250.00... Jail time...no way... But hey follow this case marijuana warrior and report back please

Im sure you'll agree
Oh... And you're welcome for the inner look into the job of detective..if you desire more education...just ask..I'm happy to give you a gloss over...real life is way different than what you see on TV...

Btw... Non federal policemen have no special rights on federal property..I cannot carry my gun..my authority does not extend to federal property..my id means nothing... I know this when I go hiking and am careful of boundaries and of laws that apply to all of us.

Think before you toke... Hmmmmm on the other hand...you obviously don't think... That process is short circuited by drug use

The definition of a crime is as follows....any action forbid or commanded by law and for which upon conviction the following can occur.. a fine if an infraction....a fine up to one thousand dollars or up to one year in a county jail if a misdemeanor...or if a felony and fine of greater than 1000.00 and or greater than one year in state prison.... Mj simple possession is an infraction in California

On federal property a misdemeanor.... Whine to the feds

Don't do drugs

Last edited by notmeofficer; 07-30-2016 at 05:08 AM..

Old 07-30-2016, 05:02 AM

79,107 posts, read 33,597,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you even understand Maximum or is this going over your precious head?

Most likely the young man will get a fine and community service......stop and think for 1 minute instead of flying into a fit of rage! Maximum penalty 1 yr.......not Minimum Pot shouldn't be a crime, but it is still a Federal offense and he was on school grounds......get it?

My son at 17 1/2 was walking near school grounds coming back from lunch smoking a cigarette, it was down to the butt......that butt cost him $500.00 and 25 hrs community service.......yeah life sucks sometimes.

Laws are the law and most people know it, we just try to get away with it when we can.
This is stupid. What should happen is you should be called and you should decide the punishment.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:09 AM

79,107 posts, read 33,597,768 times
Quote:
Appears he may have been selling on campus......that's a no no!
Not from what I've read. He *might* be involved in a $20 sale. Yes, it's accused that he *might* have gave someone $20 to buy some pot.

Quote:
Look if you can't take time to read the OP, why even take the time to ask me! It was an Indian school.....read it!
So what? It happens everywhere.

Quote:
I am assuming you are educated, again read the darn article........I see why you would vote "green" the party that doesn't have to think, much!

Here I will help YOU! Why is the reservation not dealing with these kids, after all, they are the ones asking for the government to stay out of their lives. Seems this would be an easy fix, don't you think?

“There are major crimes that occur in Indian country where the federal government has jurisdiction, and they fail to investigate, and they fail to prosecute,” he said.

In recent years, there has been growing outrage about how the government responds to sexual assaults and rapes that occur on Native American reservations.
I can think........

“There are major crimes that occur in Indian country where the federal government has jurisdiction, and they fail to investigate, and they fail to prosecute, (added) but they felt a need to prosecute over one joint"?

He didn't say these crimes are not investigate. He did not say they were not prosecuted. He is saying the Fed's never bother getting involved then so why get involved over a very minor issue?

Old 07-30-2016, 06:59 AM

3,144 posts, read 886,771 times
Quote:
Do you even understand Maximum or is this going over your precious head?

Most likely the young man will get a fine and community service......stop and think for 1 minute instead of flying into a fit of rage! Maximum penalty 1 yr.......not Minimum Pot shouldn't be a crime, but it is still a Federal offense and he was on school grounds......get it?
Do you think that most likely is good enough?

You didn't answer my question. Unless you believe that 1 year in jail and a $1000 fine is an appropriate maximum penalty for the possession of a small amount of alcohol on campus, then the maximum penalty for the possession of a small amount of cannabis is excessive and should be changed.

Quote:
Laws are the law and most people know it, we just try to get away with it when we can.
Some laws are corrupt, and in this case more damaging than the substance they are supposed to help protect you against. Those laws need to be changed. This one is one of them, and turning the volume up to 10 on this absurd case is one way to get the support needed to get it changed. The DEA knows that. I believe they are under pressure to reschedule cannabis, and this case may be their first step. They WANT us to shout how draconian this case is, so that even people like you can hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or