Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:41 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
At first I thought that Mr. Mayancela was a fictional character made up by the Post to make their point. He is real. Mr. Mayancela has found the perfect job. Understand this, this job is in New York City. To get into the steam fitter's union you almost need to know the Pope.

I'm a liberal on economic affairs and this guy made all of the right moves. He has a good paying job in a union that may be protected from outside threats.

Some elements of the Left look at our society as a sort of a caste system. These leftists are at the top as a pseudo intellectual leadership caste. Then there are the educated thought of as another caste. Then there is the blue collar caste which by them are regarded as inferior. The left leadership has no respect for this "inferior" or lesser caste.
Yes, it's all about status. And you are right to point out that Mr. Mayancela is far from typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 07:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Why does the left hate blue collar "uneducated" Americans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Washington Mayancela decided he wanted his life to be degree free.

Mayancela, 20, decided two years ago to start his apprenticeship as a steamfitter.

The Staten Island native graduated with his Advanced Regents diploma, a GPA of 4.0, and in the top five at Staten Island’s Ralph R. McKee Career & Technical Education High School. The best colleges came knocking with scholarships. But Mayancela had other plans.

Mayancela’s pay after his two-year apprenticeship as a unionized steamfitter in New York City will be $110 an hour.

Why millennials are forgoing college for blue-collar jobs | New York Post
The trades have always been a good option.

Quote:
It is amazing to me that the Left pushes young people into $50,000 college debt with worthless degrees and dead end jobs folding jeans. They tell them college grads are preferable to blue collar, dumb, clueless hicks with only high school degrees.
Bold words.

Prove it.

Quote:
Why do elitists Leftists lie to these kids?
Why is "hate" such a recurring theme among Pubs?

Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post

Why is "hate" such a recurring theme among Pubs?
Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt, aka FUD, is the creamer in their outraged coffee.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:56 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,789,903 times
I see just as much hate from the Dems and more sometimes. My father taught a class to those who wanted to be steamfitters 25 yrs ago. He worked for a major insulation contractor as an estimator. These student - many who only wrote their name on the test paper - ended up making 3x as much in a year that my educated college degree father made.

Trades were always pushed for those who were under achievers when I went to school. Now - getting a college degree is pushed and that is why there is such a dire need for plumbers and electricians.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
To logical persons who possess critical thinking skills, it does.
Leo58 said: "the unemployment rate among college-graduates is about 3%" (it's not clear if they meant all college graduates, or recent grads) and "Average earnings for someone with a bachelor's degree are almost double what a high school grad makes."

Then you responded with: 1. comments about millennial unemployment, and how they are falling behind on test scores, and 2. salaries are higher for college-educated republicans than for college-educated democrats.

I will grant you that, due to the ambiguity of Leo58's post, your citation of millennial unemployment might be relevant. But the rest is not.

Quote:
According to the Economic Policy Institute: More than 7% of US college graduates are unemployed and nearly 15% underemployed.
Maybe you should have lead with this, instead?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:16 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Leo58 said: "the unemployment rate among college-graduates is about 3%" (it's not clear if they meant all college graduates, or recent grads) and "Average earnings for someone with a bachelor's degree are almost double what a high school grad makes."

Then you responded with: 1. comments about millennial unemployment, and how they are falling behind on test scores, and 2. salaries are higher for college-educated republicans than for college-educated democrats.

I will grant you that, due to the ambiguity of Leo58's post, your citation of millennial unemployment might be relevant. But the rest is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent
According to the Economic Policy Institute: More than 7% of US college graduates are unemployed and nearly 15% underemployed.
Maybe you should have lead with this, instead?
Logical thinkers and those with critical thinking skills accept and understand the fact-based point I made. You and others? Not so much.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Many , college educated, leftists believe they have the corner on the market for critical thinking. I know plenty of hardcore tradesmen , with no more than a HS diploma, who have greater logic skills than many with PhDs. Education is a great thing, but it has become , for far to many, a license for a pompous attitude. Looking at those who work with their hands as no more than menials, who nave to be told what to do, unable to compensate in the field to overcome problems.

Nothing could be further from reality. On the.contrary, it should be noted, that things never go according to plans and drawings, and those in the field arealways compel.saying for what mistakes we're made by engineers and planners. More often than not, with no recognition for serious ingenuity and critical thinking. All the credit goes to the bookworms,in the endrun.

There la no sense of teamwork and.commonality of purpose, twixt management and workforce, in completion of projects. It's a serious issue, and it's all about who gets credit for what. Just an observation.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:30 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Many , college educated, leftists believe they have the corner on the market for critical thinking. I know plenty of hardcore tradesmen , with no more than a HS diploma, who have greater logic skills than many with PhDs. Education is a great thing, but it has become , for far to many, a license for a pompous attitude. Looking at those who work with their hands as no more than menials, who nave to be told what to do, unable to compensate in the field to overcome problems.

Nothing could be further from reality. On the.contrary, it should be noted, that things never go according to plans and drawings, and those in the field arealways compel.saying for what mistakes we're made by engineers and planners. More often than not, with no recognition for serious ingenuity and critical thinking. All the credit goes to the bookworms,in the endrun.

There la no sense of teamwork and.commonality of purpose, twixt management and workforce, in completion of projects. It's a serious issue, and it's all about who gets credit for what. Just an observation.
IMO, that isn't a left or right thing, but an ego thing. At my office, I have the good fortune of working with architects who know they don't know everything, (some are conservative, some are liberal) and are interested to get the contractor's input on a problem. But, I know architects who do believe they know everything, and they just have big egos; it doesn't really have anything to do with their political leanings.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:36 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Yea, I have 3 degrees including PhD, and to the right. All of my educated friends are too the right....so, pretty silly statement
Most blanket statements decrying an entire group of people are silly statements, just like that of the OP.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:37 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,300 times
I don't hate "uneducated" people. I do find it alarming that so many uneducated people believe what they see in the media is the only version of reality available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies