Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
I live in the outskirts of Austin. Only reason this area has so many Liberals here is because all the Californians Abandoned their state after ruining it and moved here.....
LOL...that's a popular assertion, but it isn't even close to being true.

Westerners blaming Californians for their local troubles has come to be a disease. I'm so tired of hearing it. Folks here in Arizona love saying the same trite crap, and they're just as wrong as Texans are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It's not considered as safe as it once was, with crime spreading out, but still pretty safe for the most part. That's not the case in concentrated, high crime areas.

It's hard NOT to have a good time visiting Chicago. People are pretty friendly and there's too much to do and see to have a bad time.
I visit every few years or so for a few days before going to Detroit and Cleveland. I always have a great time whether it's downtown, north side or south side. Even in the high crimes areas like where my aunt lives (south side...79th and Dorchester), they had a SWINGING block party and everyone had a great time. No violence whatsoever.

Most of the violent stuff is between the thugs having drug beefs or beefs over stupid petty nonsense that gets out of control. They aren't bothering people that mind their own business for the most part.

Yeah, you could get hit if something breaks out around you, but then, there's probably a much higher chance that i'd get hurt in a car accident. I play the averages, and let the chips fall. I'm not going through life scared of people or places.
Quote:
Chicago downtown is overall still a pretty friendly city. I had Jury duty at cook county courthouse one time . I was in shock at how many people show up to court there on a daily basis. Crime is Up though. The highway that leads from the west suburbs is nicknamed "heroin highway". Ever go to oak park? It borders chicago. It is a pretty nice area, except the crime spills over . Stolen cars are dumped there, robberies occur etc....
Suburbs have long ago lost their bucolic innocence. Decades ago. In fact, supplying the suburbs with dope is what feeds inner city crime in the first place. If you look around any bad area, you'll see whites and blacks coming into the area by the carloads buying drugs to take back to the burbs.

So it's not a case of crime spillover. Suburbanites themselves commit lots of crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And this is still an ignorant point put forward by you.

Yes, East Saint Louis with 1/100th the population of Chicago has a higher murder rate, but it is easy to carve an area out of Chicago ten times bigger than East Saint Louis with an equivalent murder rate.
That's not an ignorant point. It's an important point. Very important.

Few people have reasons to travel to E. St. Louis. Chicago is a place that depends on people passing though, and if it gets around that the whole damn city is unsafe, then people won't want to go.

Chicago is a VERY SAFE city for the most part. Violent crime is very concentrated. Again, i stopped there for two days on my way to Detroit and Cleveland and i couldn't have felt safer. My wife and i thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

It all depends on where you go and how you carry yourself.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:54 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Cut the crap already. Many of the shooting in Chicago are gang related and its black AND Latinos doing them, its just the media make everyone focus on the blacks.

It is a gang war there and if you took that amount of gang members and placed them anywhere in the country regardless or if guns are banned or not, you will have the same exact amount of shootings because criminals dont follow the laws, period.
Maybe the reason why the media focuses on blacks is because they're STILL the predominate perpetrators of crime, violence and murder in Chicago as well as pretty much everywhere else in the country where they settle down in any significant numbers.

Its the same crap here in Toronto where I am where this weekend there's been like almost a half dozen shooting as well as several stabbing incidents and surprise surprise ALMOST IF NOT ALL OF THEM involve blacks. The point is how can you expect the media to not focus on black people when they're often the ones committing crime and especially violent crime. Sooner or later you're going to have to report those incidents when they become too many and not sweep them under the rug.

Quote:
BLM is about police brutality by the people who are supposed to enforce the law fairly to all races and ARE NOT the law themselves, and thats all they are wanting is fair treatment by the cops in the same situation in which the cops would de-escalate the situation with any other race.
As I said before maybe BLM started out with good intentions, but that movement has lost its way a LONG TIME AGO and alot of people involved in that movement are trouble makers and hateful people.

And also why do BLM and blacks in general ALWAYS talk about wanting fair treatment by cops, but so many of them DO NOT BEHAVE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE to warrant being treated like everyone else?? Namely blacks ALWAYS demand respect and say they want to be treated fairly like everyone else, but come time when they actually do interact with police, how come they so often don't treat cops with respect in turn and respect them as authority figures but instead choose to treat them like crap? Respect is a two way street and I often don't see black people giving back what they always so loudly demand from police and non-blacks.

And also on a somewhat related note. I said above that there were a number of violent incidents involving black people in Toronto this past weekend and the BLM group here SAID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about all that black on black violence. Instead they were too busy running a program indoctrinating CHILDREN to start being future activists in their effed up cause. YES they REALLY ARE doing that!!

Children in superhero capes protest with Black Lives Matter outside U.S. Consulate - Toronto - CBC News

And I just LOVE this part of the article:

Quote:
The group, which says "fighting against anti-black racism and state-sanctioned violence" are among its key aims, did not reach out to police to participate in the the program, saying normalizing relations with law enforcement was not the aim.

"That's not a priority for us," Newbolb said. "The priority is the children, their needs… their understanding of blackness and black pride."
So instead of working with police and actually trying to build better relations with them, they care more about messing with kids' minds and brainwashing them to be a part of their effed up cause. Yes that is the kind of screwed up crap that BLM here in Toronto does these days.

THIS is why the BLM movement IS SUCH A JOKE and is nothing more than an excuse for many black people to be violent and aggressive and HATEFUL towards other people under the cover of being 'activists'. I can't imagine seeing white people saying and doing the exact same things as BLM does and NOT being condemned from everyone as being A HATE GROUP doing nothing than stirring the racism pot and creating violence and trouble, yet because its black people doing it, EVERYONE gives them a pass and says 'its OK'.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Maybe the reason why the media focuses on blacks is because they're STILL the predominate perpetrators of crime, violence and murder in Chicago as well as pretty much everywhere else in the country where they settle down in any significant numbers.

Its the same crap here in Toronto where I am where this weekend there's been like almost a half dozen shooting as well as several stabbing incidents and surprise surprise ALMOST IF NOT ALL OF THEM involve blacks. The point is how can you expect the media to not focus on black people when they're often the ones committing crime and especially violent crime. Sooner or later you're going to have to report those incidents when they become too many and not sweep them under the rug.

As I said before maybe BLM started out with good intentions, but that movement has lost its way a LONG TIME AGO and alot of people involved in that movement are trouble makers and hateful people.

And also why do BLM and blacks in general ALWAYS talk about wanting fair treatment by cops, but so many of them DO NOT BEHAVE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE to warrant being treated like everyone else?? Namely blacks ALWAYS demand respect and say they want to be treated fairly like everyone else, but come time when they actually do interact with police, how come they so often don't treat cops with respect in turn and respect them as authority figures but instead choose to treat them like crap? Respect is a two way street and I often don't see black people giving back what they always so loudly demand from police and non-blacks.

And also on a somewhat related note. I said above that there were a number of violent incidents involving black people in Toronto this past weekend and the BLM group here SAID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about all that black on black violence. Instead they were too busy running a program indoctrinating CHILDREN to start being future activists in their effed up cause. YES they REALLY ARE doing that!!

Children in superhero capes protest with Black Lives Matter outside U.S. Consulate - Toronto - CBC News

And I just LOVE this part of the article:

So instead of working with police and actually trying to build better relations with them, they care more about messing with kids' minds and brainwashing them to be a part of their effed up cause. Yes that is the kind of screwed up crap that BLM here in Toronto does these days.

THIS is why the BLM movement IS SUCH A JOKE and is nothing more than an excuse for many black people to be violent and aggressive and HATEFUL towards other people under the cover of being 'activists'. I can't imagine seeing white people saying and doing the exact same things as BLM does and NOT being condemned from everyone as being A HATE GROUP doing nothing than stirring the racism pot and creating violence and trouble, yet because its black people doing it, EVERYONE gives them a pass and says 'its OK'.
You can't imagine white people doing that? Really? LMAO...ok, i'll bite:

Then more recently, the good white folks of Ole Miss couldn't help themselves by honoring their history:

Nah...you can't imagine white people being so vile.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...that's a popular assertion, but it isn't even close to being true.

Westerners blaming Californians for their local troubles has come to be a disease. I'm so tired of hearing it. Folks here in Arizona love saying the same trite crap, and they're just as wrong as Texans are.

I visit every few years or so for a few days before going to Detroit and Cleveland. I always have a great time whether it's downtown, north side or south side. Even in the high crimes areas like where my aunt lives (south side...79th and Dorchester), they had a SWINGING block party and everyone had a great time. No violence whatsoever.

Most of the violent stuff is between the thugs having drug beefs or beefs over stupid petty nonsense that gets out of control. They aren't bothering people that mind their own business for the most part.

Yeah, you could get hit if something breaks out around you, but then, there's probably a much higher chance that i'd get hurt in a car accident. I play the averages, and let the chips fall. I'm not going through life scared of people or places.

Suburbs have long ago lost their bucolic innocence. Decades ago. In fact, supplying the suburbs with dope is what feeds inner city crime in the first place. If you look around any bad area, you'll see whites and blacks coming into the area by the carloads buying drugs to take back to the burbs.

So it's not a case of crime spillover. Suburbanites themselves commit lots of crime.

I had a bit in my post about block parties and removed it before posting wondering if that was a local thing you might not be familiar with. Friends outside of IL have never heard of them but it's nice to see everyone on the block coming out with grills and chairs, sharing food and playing music. And the police leave you alone until it gets too late and they don't want the street blocked off anymore. It makes for better neighbors who are then helping each other dig out during winter blizzards. I miss that part of living in the city.

It's not just suburbanites committing crimes, a lot of the heroin addiction is among adults who can no longer get some controlled drug for pain from their doctor, who then treats them like scum with a problem instead of seeing their addiction and helping them. But I'm in Lake County in the suburbs and have heard of neighbors kids who have overdosed and died from it, too. So it's all over, as you say.

The accidental killing of children is what gets me. Of all those who have been killed this year in Chicago, 21 were under the age of 13. Having two adult children, that just gets me to see the loss of innocent lives.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:17 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
The liberal controlled Utopia of Chicago has another peaceful weekend.... Im so glad I moved out of there ..

It always seemed like there was a murder every day there...

7 Killed, 44 Wounded in Weekend Shootings Across Chicago | NBC Chicago
Were all of those in West Rogers Park, Skokie, Peterson Park, Buffalo Grove, and/or Highland Park?

Old 08-01-2016, 09:29 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Were all of those in West Rogers Park, Skokie, Peterson Park, Buffalo Grove, and/or Highland Park?
Funny guy.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Yeah, people are being killed, murdered here everyday. And of all the black kids/adults who are murdered nobody gives a flying ****. It doesn't fit anybody's agenda to be upset about the killings, unless it's police brutality involving a black person and preferably a white cop. The only time anybody of authority cares, is if they need your vote.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I had a bit in my post about block parties and removed it before posting wondering if that was a local thing you might not be familiar with. Friends outside of IL have never heard of them but it's nice to see everyone on the block coming out with grills and chairs, sharing food and playing music. And the police leave you alone until it gets too late and they don't want the street blocked off anymore. It makes for better neighbors who are then helping each other dig out during winter blizzards. I miss that part of living in the city.

It's not just suburbanites committing crimes, a lot of the heroin addiction is among adults who can no longer get some controlled drug for pain from their doctor, who then treats them like scum with a problem instead of seeing their addiction and helping them. But I'm in Lake County in the suburbs and have heard of neighbors kids who have overdosed and died from it, too. So it's all over, as you say.

The accidental killing of children is what gets me. Of all those who have been killed this year in Chicago, 21 were under the age of 13. Having two adult children, that just gets me to see the loss of innocent lives.
Geez....FINALLY! Someone who actually knows and understand what city life is all about. Most posters just talk out of their asses.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 AM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's not an ignorant point. It's an important point. Very important.

Few people have reasons to travel to E. St. Louis. Chicago is a place that depends on people passing though, and if it gets around that the whole damn city is unsafe, then people won't want to go.

Chicago is a VERY SAFE city for the most part. Violent crime is very concentrated. Again, i stopped there for two days on my way to Detroit and Cleveland and i couldn't have felt safer. My wife and i thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

It all depends on where you go and how you carry yourself.
It is an ignorant point.

Chicago is literally 100 times bigger than that city in population and in area.

You say few people have reasons to travel to East Saint Louis...it is shocking that you miss the lack of logic in your post...as few people have reasons to travel to the crime infested parts of Chicago.

Tourists visit tourist parts of Chicago like Shedd Aquarium not Fuller Park.

To down play Chicago's blight with East Saint Louis is irrational. As Chicago is literally 100 times bigger and has low crime to high crime areas and everywhere in between. However, East Saint Louis is equivalent to a small neighborhood in Chicago and wouldn't even have the highest murder rate of Chicago neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies