Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:34 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

I just found the following online, and in August 2015, just 31% of blacks, according to a poll, preferred "Black Lives Matter" to "All Lives Matter".

Poll: Most black people prefer 'all lives matter' | TheHill

So, I think and I hope that this is just a matter of a very vocal minority making it tougher on the "reasonable" majority of blacks, in the sense that because of BLM, I think the racism of some whites might be getting worse instead of better. I honestly don't know if Trump would now be so popular today if not for the last almost eight years since Obama took office. (And to say it again, I voted for Obama in 2008, although I admit that I regret that now.)

(I only used the word "reasonable" because I could not think of a better adjective. Sorry.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:44 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I just found the following online, and in August 2015, just 31% of blacks, according to a poll, preferred "Black Lives Matter" to "All Lives Matter".

Poll: Most black people prefer 'all lives matter' | TheHill

So, I think and I hope that this is just a matter of a very vocal minority making it tougher on the "reasonable" majority of blacks, in the sense that because of BLM, I think the racism of some whites might be getting worse instead of better. I honestly don't know if Trump would now be so popular today if not for the last almost eight years since Obama took office. (And to say it again, I voted for Obama in 2008, although I admit that I regret that now.)

(I only used the word "reasonable" because I could not think of a better adjective. Sorry.)
We live in a world where people are afraid to let their children go outside and play by themselves for fear of kidnapping, when in reality times are much safer than they were 40 years ago when I was allowed to play outside all day without even a way for my mom to know where I was. The 24/7 news cycle has convinced people that it's worse now than it was then, despite actual data saying otherwise.

So, yes, I do think the media has magnified this race issue way out of proportion to reality. I see more black middle class people and upper class people than ever, in professional positions, and yet we still think it's worse than it was 20 years ago.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:29 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So people don't automatically associate black people with being dumb, uneducated, violent, and thuggish? A lot of Americans would disagree. You can say 'well black people actually are violent crimianls". But what about the black people who aren't? How do you think this effect them knowing that this image is what they have to overcome to be viewed individually?
We can play this game all day long. So people don't automatically associate females with being dumb, uneducated, superficial, and gold diggers? Let's see, what is it that we are supposed to do....oh right, put out and make sandwiches...

Again, black people have not cornered any market...this type of crap happens to EVERYONE.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:33 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
Just like if your fat,skinny,gay,ugly,mentally ill,poor, ad infinium..........unless you walk in anyones shoes who is looked down upon or ridiculed about ANYTHING.................
Show me any human being and there is an insecurity there somewhere about something......
Our staff psychologist used to say most humans have some sort of neurosis and it does not stop them from functioning in Society.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:35 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownlow View Post
The head of black lives matter is nothing more than a George Soros paid shill brought in to cause chaos.
This has to be THE biggest conspiracy theory I've ever heard! And I've heard them all......!
I am definitely not into conspiracy theories but there is some serious thoughts that he may be funding BLM, in whole or in part.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:27 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am definitely not into conspiracy theories but there is some serious thoughts that he may be funding BLM, in whole or in part.
A modern-day black power movement funded by a white billionaire! Any hard evidence of that, and the credibility of a movement like that gets shot down, from all sides.....!

Old 08-05-2016, 11:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
https://policy.m4bl.org/wp-content/u...Booklet-V3.pdf

End the War On Black People
  • An immediate end to the criminalization and dehumanization of Black youth across all areas of society including, but not limited to; our nation’s justice and education systems, social service agencies, and media and pop culture. This includes an end to zero-tolerance school policies and arrests of students, the removal of police from schools, and the reallocation of funds from police and punitive school discipline practices to restorative services.
  • An end to capital punishment.
  • An end to money bail, mandatory fines, fees, court surcharges and “defendant funded” court proceedings.
  • An end to the use of past criminal history to determine eligibility for housing, education, licenses, voting, loans, employment, and other services and needs.
  • An end to the war on Black immigrants including the repeal of the 1996 crime and immigration bills, an end to all deportations, immigrant detention, and Immigration and Custom Enforcement (ICE) raids, and mandated legal representation in immigration court.
  • An end to the war on Black trans, ***** and gender nonconforming people including their addition to anti-discrimination civil rights protections to ensure they have full access to employment, health, housing and education.
  • An end to the mass surveillance of Black communities, and the end to the use of technologies that criminalize and target our communities (including IMSI catchers, drones, body cameras, and predictive policing software).
  • The demilitarization of law enforcement, including law enforcement in schools and on college campuses.
  • An immediate end to the privatization of police, prisons, jails, probation, parole, food, phone and all other criminal justice related services.
  • Until we achieve a world where cages are no longer used against our people we demand an immediate change in conditions and an end to public jails, detention centers, youth facilities and prisons as we know them. This includes the end of solitary confinement, the end of shackling of pregnant people, access to quality healthcare, and effective measures to address the needs of our youth, *****, gender-nonconforming and trans families.

Reparations

I'm not reading all that. I made it to reparations and thought, "Aaaahh, yeeeah...that ain't gonna happen and I'm not paying for it."

I may be a "minority" but nobody owes me anything. We all have problems. The world in 2016 is what you make of it.

[can't believe someone took the time to create that list]

Old 08-06-2016, 09:48 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So, one drop rule then? That would be a lot of Americans.
so what if all my ancestors came to America after 1865, am I exempt from the tax?
what if my ancestor lived in America before 1865 but didn't own slaves?
how about if my ancestor bought a slave in order to release them immediately?

Old 08-06-2016, 09:58 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We live in a world where people are afraid to let their children go outside and play by themselves for fear of kidnapping, when in reality times are much safer than they were 40 years ago when I was allowed to play outside all day without even a way for my mom to know where I was. The 24/7 news cycle has convinced people that it's worse now than it was then, despite actual data saying otherwise.

So, yes, I do think the media has magnified this race issue way out of proportion to reality. I see more black middle class people and upper class people than ever, in professional positions, and yet we still think it's worse than it was 20 years ago.
I also think, a few posters on here try to drive the race card in many threads, which makes it seem many more blacks agree with the "racist card" than do. Hint; it is not all black posters, a few whites seem to have the extra guilt going on. Possibly, those are the ones who had family involved in slavery and don't want to feel alone.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:02 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
So people don't automatically associate black people with being dumb, uneducated, violent, and thuggish? A lot of Americans would disagree. You can say 'well black people actually are violent crimianls". But what about the black people who aren't? How do you think this effect them knowing that this image is what they have to overcome to be viewed individually?
I never met anybody who thinks this way.

But DO you think this way? Do you automatically think black people are violent thugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies