Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 04:21 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Given how far this thread has drifted from the dying days of the last super-Niño, early 2016, I opened Do Environmental Conservation Agencies Promote a "Climate Change" Agenda?. Specifically I think many people with axes to grind are pushing climate change alarmism.
It was a super flop in my area as we got no more rain than on any normal winter. Nothing compared to the one back in 1997-98 nate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:31 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Given how far this thread has drifted from the dying days of the last super-Niño, early 2016, I opened Do Environmental Conservation Agencies Promote a "Climate Change" Agenda?. Specifically I think many people with axes to grind are pushing climate change alarmism.
I understand that some people think it's hyperbole but there are just so many signs, every day you can pull out an article like this that are indicative of climate change. The changes are slow but certainly dramatic over the last few decades, those who don't believe the science can certainly see the changes through first hand observations.

Quote:
PORT REPUBLIC, N.J. - (AP) -- They're called "ghost forests" -- dead trees along vast swaths of coastline invaded by rising seas, something scientists call one of the most visible markers of climate change.
The process has happened naturally for thousands of years, but it has accelerated in recent decades as polar ice melts and raises sea levels, scientists say, pushing salt water farther inland and killing trees in what used to be thriving freshwater plains.

Efforts are underway worldwide to determine exactly how quickly the creation of ghost forests is increasing. But scientists agree the startling sight of dead trees in once-healthy areas is an easy-to-grasp example of the consequences of climate change.

Climate change before your eyes: Seas rise and trees die | Newsday

Old 08-02-2017, 05:52 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What axe do you think people like myself who accept climate science have to grind? Please be specific.
Many, but not AGW believers have always wanted planning and control rather than free markets. The ozone scare and air bags are other examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
It was a super flop in my area as we got no more rain than on any normal winter. Nothing compared to the one back in 1997-98 nate.
Interestingly 2016-7, a La Niña winter was far wetter. Some have suggested that the atmosphere responds with a lag. I happen to believe that. Also remember 1997-8 was during a long-term warm phase with El Niño predominating. Prior to that winter 1988 was a strong La Niña period and 1995-6 was a weak La Niña. There were a few moderate to strong El Niños during the prior two decades, such as 1982-3, 1986-8, 1991-3, 1994-5. So the 1997-8 episode registered faster and stronger. By contrast in recent years 2006-7 and 2009-10 were very brief El Niños, the latter being focused so far west as not to make much of a difference. We were in Niña territory from about April 2010 to mid-2014, so the 2015-6 didn't register right away. Granted some of that Niña period was borderline but still it went a very long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I understand that some people think it's hyperbole but there are just so many signs, every day you can pull out an article like this that are indicative of climate change. The changes are slow but certainly dramatic over the last few decades, those who don't believe the science can certainly see the changes through first hand observations.

Climate change before your eyes: Seas rise and trees die | Newsday
I'd have to know more but sea levels have in fact not increased dramatically. Were those trees in the path of Sandy and it's uber-tides?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:07 AM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

I'd have to know more but sea levels have in fact not increased dramatically. Were those trees in the path of Sandy and it's uber-tides?
One of the difficulties is comprehending how these small changes over time impact the environment. A 200 mm average sea rise over a hundred years is destructive, some will say it's only a rise of 7 inches and view that as insignificant.

Sandy had more of an impact because of the loss of wetlands and tidal marshes, partly because of development but also because of sea rise.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:30 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
One of the difficulties is comprehending how these small changes over time impact the environment. A 200 mm average sea rise over a hundred years is destructive, some will say it's only a rise of 7 inches and view that as insignificant.

Sandy had more of an impact because of the loss of wetlands and tidal marshes, partly because of development but also because of sea rise.
Then multi-trillion dollar question is whether "hairshirt" policies would prevent any of this. Or just make politicians feel as if they're "doing something."

Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Many, but not AGW believers have always wanted planning and control rather than free markets. The ozone scare and air bags are other examples.

Interestingly 2016-7, a La Niña winter was far wetter. Some have suggested that the atmosphere responds with a lag. I happen to believe that. Also remember 1997-8 was during a long-term warm phase with El Niño predominating. Prior to that winter 1988 was a strong La Niña period and 1995-6 was a weak La Niña. There were a few moderate to strong El Niños during the prior two decades, such as 1982-3, 1986-8, 1991-3, 1994-5. So the 1997-8 episode registered faster and stronger. By contrast in recent years 2006-7 and 2009-10 were very brief El Niños, the latter being focused so far west as not to make much of a difference. We were in Niña territory from about April 2010 to mid-2014, so the 2015-6 didn't register right away. Granted some of that Niña period was borderline but still it went a very long time.

The fall ,winter and spring of 2016-17 was the worst ever in my local area. I saw just over 2" of rain from Oct to May. We are seeing less and less rain and much warmer winters in my area in FL the last 30 years. Just the last 6 winters have warmed up so much. We have past the tipping point.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
The fall ,winter and spring of 2016-17 was the worst ever in my local area. I saw just over 2" of rain from Oct to May. We are seeing less and less rain and much warmer winters in my area in FL the last 30 years. Just the last 6 winters have warmed up so much. We have past the tipping point.
Sadly, I agree about the tipping point. One trip to Alaska will remove all doubt.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sadly, I agree about the tipping point. One trip to Alaska will remove all doubt.
2 many skeeters there. Plus everything on TV is about that darn state. How many tv shows can ya have about Alaska?

Old 08-02-2017, 04:59 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
The highest recorded temperature is approx. 134F.
IF THAT RECORD WAS BEING BROKEN EACH YEAR, THEN WORRY.
. . .
Until that happens, all that you can really measure are the "spot checks" of a massive system seeking equilibrium between the extremes of hot and cold.
In short, nothing to get alarmed about.
. . .

Old 08-02-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The highest recorded temperature is approx. 134F.
IF THAT RECORD WAS BEING BROKEN EACH YEAR, THEN WORRY.
. . .
Until that happens, all that you can really measure are the "spot checks" of a massive system seeking equilibrium between the extremes of hot and cold.
In short, nothing to get alarmed about.
. . .
I'm not gonna lose any sleep. But you people living past the next 30 years will get a wake up call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies