Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 08:16 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,585,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm with you there. People in prisons should be taught a trade. People on welfare should either be made to take classes to learn a skill or trade, if they don't have skills allowing them to find work, or be given a job to offset welfare.

Nothing should be handed to anyone for free. The government has enslaved people with giveaway programs. People cannot feel good about themselves if they don't have a way to take care of themselves and their family. Lift them up by giving them a way to do that, and give tax credits to companies who hire them long term.
most of them have a trade, it's just not legal. Money laundering, whether you like it or not is a skill. Selling drugs is also a skill as well. We just make these skills illegal. You're better off giving these skills some legitimacy by just legalizing what they do. People who would have been drug dealers can open up actual businesses. Have you ever met a corner dealer before? I have met several. Many of them aren't dumb, they understand trade very well, they understand pricing, and they understand supply/demand. They are masters of their product. Imagine if you could legalize crack, and you can mass produce it. These people would become overnight millionaires.

See but the problem isn't that drugs make society worse. The problem is that the government has a problem with who makes money and who doesn't. Imagine if drugs had been legal, the ghetto and the conditions of black men in society would be totally different. Instead of being looked at as thugs, they'd be industrialist and businessmen.

The government has created the problem with black American. I've always said this. It wasn't until the war on drugs is when things got horrible in the black community. Before then the father was in the home in 80% of all cases. But with the welfare state and the drug war, it has destroyed communities.

Prohibition did the same thing to the Irish, Polish,and Italian communities in the 1920s. Prohibition is an absolute failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 09:19 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
People are going to do drugs period. And they're hurting no one. But we are hurting people, the economy, and society by keeping them illegal.
Have you ever seen a picture of what drugs do to the brain? People are incapable of normal thinking after doing drugs.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:54 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Thumbs down hmmm...

Quote:
I do support reparations. I've stated it many times that America (not white people) need to apologize to black people. Other racial groups get reparations.

So in my opinion reparations should not come in the form of money. It should come in the form on the legalization of all drugs. And black people should be allowed to opt out of all government services. If they opt out of all government services, they won't be allowed to use them. So fair trade off.

No one has to spend money.
I wonder how long we (White Americans) should feel obligated to apologize to the black community? 200, 300, 500 years or so? I almost feel obligated every time I see an African American to say 'I'm sorry you're Black and I'm White" Can you please move your 2016 Mercedes Benz so I may back out of my driveway. I've had enough. I better stop there so I'm not kicked off CD.
Koale

Old 08-04-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Have you ever seen a picture of what drugs do to the brain? People are incapable of normal thinking after doing drugs.
So what? IS that society's problem? Of course not. If they want to smoke their brains out, then let them.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
I wonder how long we (White Americans) should feel obligated to apologize to the black community? 200, 300, 500 years or so? I almost feel obligated every time I see an African American to say 'I'm sorry you're Black and I'm White" Can you please move your 2016 Mercedes Benz so I may back out of my driveway. I've had enough. I better stop there so I'm not kicked off CD.
Koale

White people don't need to apologize. But the US government does. These are two completely different entities.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:10 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
most of them have a trade, it's just not legal. Money laundering, whether you like it or not is a skill. Selling drugs is also a skill as well. We just make these skills illegal. You're better off giving these skills some legitimacy by just legalizing what they do. People who would have been drug dealers can open up actual businesses. Have you ever met a corner dealer before? I have met several. Many of them aren't dumb, they understand trade very well, they understand pricing, and they understand supply/demand. They are masters of their product. Imagine if you could legalize crack, and you can mass produce it. These people would become overnight millionaires.

See but the problem isn't that drugs make society worse. The problem is that the government has a problem with who makes money and who doesn't. Imagine if drugs had been legal, the ghetto and the conditions of black men in society would be totally different. Instead of being looked at as thugs, they'd be industrialist and businessmen.

The government has created the problem with black American. I've always said this. It wasn't until the war on drugs is when things got horrible in the black community. Before then the father was in the home in 80% of all cases. But with the welfare state and the drug war, it has destroyed communities.

Prohibition did the same thing to the Irish, Polish,and Italian communities in the 1920s. Prohibition is an absolute failure.

No, I'm dead set against legalizing drugs, but there needs to be a major reform of how justice is served. Don't lock up people for using drugs, get them help. Lock up those who are selling and manufacturing the stuff. And stop throwing black males in jail when white males are getting sentences that are much milder and don't require prison time. That, I'm all for.

You say the father was in the home until the war on drugs, and residinghere has said the father was in the home before something else happened. Apologies to her, I can't recall exactly what it was. My point is, it could have been a combination of things. But today, there are young black men who are fathering children with multiple women before they even hit 30 years of age. Which home would they be going to? This, in itself, is a problem in the poorer black community, no?

Chicago is in debt with many departments understaffed. Same with the state of Illinois. If they opened up some of those jobs to people doing some of the more manual or menial work after proper training, and then filled the jobs those people were leaving with people in or getting out of prison or on welfare, it would make more sense.

Dealers (no, I've never met one) may be good at what they do, but they're really not contributing to society or their community in a positive way. Get junkies help so they can be good parents and give them skills to do some work so they can feel they're worthwhile, contributing individuals in society.

I don't see how a parent who uses and is nodding out on the couch while her kids are unsupervised is a positive thing. It's just not.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913
I do support reparations. I've stated it many times that America (not white people) need to apologize to black people. Other racial groups get reparations.

So in my opinion reparations should not come in the form of money. It should come in the form on the legalization of all drugs. And black people should be allowed to opt out of all government services. If they opt out of all government services, they won't be allowed to use them. So fair trade off.

No one has to spend money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Koale

You quoted bran, and then ignored where he said, "....America (not white people) need to apologize to black people.

Not white people. Did you miss the bolded part?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:09 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:

You seem to think if drugs were made legal, it'd be legal for anyone to manufacture and sell them. Nope. They'd be regulated and taxed just like anything else. I don't see street corner dealers having the funds or the connections to start up and run legit drug manufacturing and distribution businesses. The suppliers, maybe, but then they're going to hire people with employment histories and clean records to work in those businesses. Exactly how does that help the guy making crack in his kitchen and dealing it on the street corner?

Old 08-04-2016, 11:21 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
I've explained elsewhere in this thread. But basically the War On Drugs have pretty much destroyed the black community. It has lead to the black community being severely over policed. Plus if selling drugs works out well for poor black people, I don't see the point in depriving them the right to sell drugs legally. It could make legit businessmen out of most black people instead of turning them into criminals and ruining their lives. Ending the War On Drugs would relieve a lot of pressure from the black community.
Oh I see.......they can ruin the lives of others. Makes perfect sense! I would never agree to selling drugs, dumb, dumb idea!

MJ is the only thing I would consider not being put in jail for or someone who consumes drugs for personal use, selling is not a good idea. One would think with pot shops opening the black market would end, yet the government regulates who can smoke and who can't.

You seem to not know drug dealers through the government are protected and are a huge voting block for the government, I don't see them going along with your plan. Plus, prisons make money for the government, another plan that will not be lifted.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No, I'm dead set against legalizing drugs, but there needs to be a major reform of how justice is served. Don't lock up people for using drugs, get them help. Lock up those who are selling and manufacturing the stuff. And stop throwing black males in jail when white males are getting sentences that are much milder and don't require prison time. That, I'm all for.
Why lock up people selling and manufacturing them? It's a perfect trade between people who want drugs and people who use drugs. I don't see what harm they're doing to anyone else.

Y
[qupte]ou say the father was in the home until the war on drugs, and residinghere has said the father was in the home before something else happened. Apologies to her, I can't recall exactly what it was. My point is, it could have been a combination of things. But today, there are young black men who are fathering children with multiple women before they even hit 30 years of age. Which home would they be going to? This, in itself, is a problem in the poorer black community, no? [/quote]

The father leaving the home was due to LBJ's great society. Black mothers were incentivized to kick the father out of the house. Often if a man was found in the home, these mothers wouldn't get benefits. With that said, this was basically a 4 year period between that and Nixon declaring the War On Drugs. For the most part violence was bad in the black communities, but didn't really reach insane levels until crack hit the streets in the 1980s. With the loss of a lot of manufacturing jobs, crack now flooding the streets, and the war on drugs, it was a pretty horrible combination. While I do believe in personal responsibility, it is very hard to come up in these conditions, when the government used the war on drugs as means to violate all sorts of civil rights.

Quote:
Chicago is in debt with many departments understaffed. Same with the state of Illinois. If they opened up some of those jobs to people doing some of the more manual or menial work after proper training, and then filled the jobs those people were leaving with people in or getting out of prison or on welfare, it would make more sense.
Chicago is a corrupt city, with layers of corruption where it would take something major to clean it up. The police in Chicago are more or less just another gang.

Quote:
Dealers (no, I've never met one) may be good at what they do, but they're really not contributing to society or their community in a positive way. Get junkies help so they can be good parents and give them skills to do some work so they can feel they're worthwhile, contributing individuals in society.

I don't see how a parent who uses and is nodding out on the couch while her kids are unsupervised is a positive thing. It's just not.
Dealers are contributing to society. There is demand for drugs, there is a demand to get high, and there is a demand to escape reality. Escpapsim is a big thing for people, and drugs is just another medium for escapism. As long as the users are only hurting themselves, who cares? The thing is, having drugs illegal don't keep them off the streets. You can purchase drugs anywhere. And trust me, you don't need to go to the ghetto to do it.

I use to work in Silicon Valley a few years ago. I dated a girl (VERY BRIEFLY) who lived in Oakland. She told me about her ex who was a major drug dealer in San Jose. It didn't surprise me after doing a little digging that there are ton of people in the Valley getting high every single day. And they're getting their drugs from somewhere. I lived in Cupertino right down the street from Apple HQ. There was a house fulll of junky kids in the house I lived in, and Cupertino is nowhere near a ghetto.

The writing is on the wall. People who are on a path to self destruct are going to get there with or without the government's approval. Similar to drug dealers,they're going to make their money regardless. you really can't stop the machine, it's already turning, the market has spoken. It's a real industry, it will make billions if it were allowed to operate legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies