Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 04:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,593,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Health insurance is a risk pool. Anyone who thought that Obamacare could reduce your cost $2,500 and increase coverage to include everyone, including those with pre-existing conditions and others who haven't taken care of their health care needs for years with a lot of pent up needs, is definitely drinking something that confuses your thinking.....lol.

You can argue whether healthcare is a right, or a privilege/service where you need to pay your own way, but there is no way in hell healthcare premiums were going to go down when you add those with preexisting conditions and some of the unhealthiest among us. Yes I know young healthy people were supposed to offset this....but there is no way millions of low premium young healthy people going to offset millions who've previously not been taking diligent care of their health needs and/or with serious and expensive preexisting conditions.

We all knew that, but it's a much more difficult "sell" if you don't spin it the other way. I'm sure they came up with numbers to back up the "lowering of cost" they promoted, but as the old saying goes, "figures don't lie, but liars figure"
Agreed. You don't get more and pay less.

Here's some background that went into the proclamation.

( note: concludes a broken promise)

The Obameter: Cut the cost of a typical family's health insurance premium by up to $2,500 a year | PolitiFact
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You should go to his site and read up on it.
I am familiar with the handful of talking points.

I am big on personal responsibility therefore am not keen about eliminating the individual mandate given the law continues to require an ER to stabilize patients regardless of their ability to pay for it.

There's no federal law precluding insurance from being sold across state lines.

Allowing people to deduct premiums is cool beans.

HSAs currently exist.

Price transparency is a joke given the variables.

Allowing foreign generic drugs to be legally sold in the US is good stuff. Too bad Republican Congresses defeated this twice during the Bush 2 era. Maybe the third time will be the charm.

On the other hand, one could argue that this would result in loss of US jobs in favor of cheaper imports.

As important, there is nothing that forbids insurers from discriminating against patients with preexisting conditions, capping annual out of pocket costs or preventing insurers from imposing annual or lifetime payouts.

Welcome back Junk Plans.

None of this satisfies Trump's promise to " replace Obamacare with something wonderful that will take care of everybody and the government will pay for it".

Regardless, he's in for an uphill battle with Congress.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,827,075 times
Everyone who was told they could keep their plan, but who subsequently lost it because of Obamacare enjoyed a huge decrease in the cost of their insurance plans. Until they were forced to pay for policies they neither wanted nor needed with regard to coverage mandates.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No, already good insurance got better because of his employer. The ACA doesn't mandate any of the incentives or associated savings you mention.
You are right. None of this had anything to do with the ACA.

I favor pegging premiums to lifestyle choices including private insurance, Medicare, Medicad and VA.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What was the reasoning behind the tax on Cadillac health plans? Why punish the companies who generous with their health insurance benefits?

BTW at the DNC I was so mad at Obama claiming that Hillary was the first to get the affordable health care plan going... meanwhile Massachusetts was just fine with our Romneycare state health plans (tweaked by the Dems in the state legislature). Romneycare was great, turning it into Obamacare has been a mess and will cost MA workers more.
I think he was referring to the proposed so called " Hillary Care" back in the early 90's.

In many ways, it was superior to the ACA. Nonetheless, it died in Congress.

Subsequent, Bush 2 promised to develop an " affordable" healthcare program for low income earners. Best I can tell, once elected, it was never pursued.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,535,899 times
Well, based on a couple of Cliff Clavins here, all those Americans and their doctors are simply lying about how lousy Obamacare is.

Who knew?!

Old 08-08-2016, 05:27 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,869,726 times
No and my employees do not like the deductibles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies