Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM

401 posts, read 649,814 times

Advertisements

pretty normal that she was fired. She was being dishonest with her employer. She had the chance to say "ok i won't wear the headscarf" but instead kept it and got fired. The employer has the right to fire people that don't match the requirements for the job, and that lady pretended to be someone else during her job interview and then revealed her true identity.

she's now playing the discrimination card, how convenient, what about being honest during the job interview or not wearing your stupid headscarf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 03:22 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
See my previous post.

On the bold, religious people do indeed stop wearing their religious dress if they are going on job interviews. Not sure why you are not getting this.

Xenophobia against Muslims in particular are at an all time high. Of course if she went into the interview with her headscarf on, they would have prejudged her (i.e. been prejudiced against her) and probably wouldn't have offered her the job.

She did what she had to do to get the job like all people who interview do. I'm sure if you go on an interview, like most normal people, you will be very neutral and bland in your style of dress and look traditionally "professional." A headscarf is not seen as "traditionally professional." So she would not wear it on an interview.
So she doesn't need to be "traditionally professional" on the job? I think she set them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Not sure why you're not getting that I don't believe she had no right to wear a headscarf. My point is that she was being dishonest about it by not wearing it sooner (interview or first couple of days on the job), and so she has no integrity.

Orthodox Jews don't take off their kippah in public for any reason.

I'm calling that she's a pot stirrer.
^^^ this.

They (Muslims) are using our laws to defeat us. They said they would do so way back when and they are doing it.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
The employer cant ask about her religion. She doesnt have to go in talking all about it, nor really explain it even if she wore it. She shouldnt have been fired for it because that IS discrimination. She was not fired for doing a bad job, she was fired for wearing a head covering.
It wasn't discrimination. (Gee, I could swear I answered that)

Old 08-04-2016, 03:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It wasn't discrimination. (Gee, I could swear I answered that)

That remains to be determined.

What if she had converted to Islam 2 days after accepting the job, thus removing the "misrepresentation" ruse? Still OK to fire her?

Old 08-04-2016, 03:31 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
That remains to be determined.

What if she had converted to Islam 2 days after accepting the job, thus removing the "misrepresentation" ruse? Still OK to fire her?
Yes, or after another 2 days, she'd be radicalized so for the safety of all, fire her a$$.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
In some jobs, head coverings are required. So why would there be jobs where head coverings are not desired?

What if she were wearing a hat? Does the employer not have a say in the matter?

Can we separate this from the religion issue.
Bam!

Some jobs require a man to where a jacket and tie, or a women to dress in similarly business like attire.

In some jobs, a hijab might actually be dangerous.

The traditional Muslim dress might be offensive to some or make them feel "threatened." (We hear that a lot today, and the "threatened" person is always the winner - so why not in this case?)

Muslims are using our laws to make inroads into our culture. They do not wish to assimilate. They are here to change US to make America Sharia compliant. It's happening everywhere, and Americans had better wake up, because we are about to lose our country.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
But none are as scary as a burqa.
Man, I think 99% of non-muslims will get a hell scare when someone with full black burqa comes in front.
But if they complain, they will be the ones to lose the argument. If we Americans are uncomfortable or feel threatened, it's just tough.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:44 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,285,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
But if they complain, they will be the ones to lose the argument. If we Americans are uncomfortable or feel threatened, it's just tough.
It's really bad when you have to explain your toddler.
My kid never saw someone wearing a burqa until few weeks ago in a grocery store.
She was confused and startled at the same time and kept on looking at them and then asking me what is that.
After we were alone, she asked if it's something scary.
I told her they are people wearing masks playing a funny game to keep her at ease.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:52 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
It's really bad when you have to explain your toddler.
My kid never saw someone wearing a burqa until few weeks ago in a grocery store.
She was confused and startled at the same time and kept on looking at them and then asking me what is that.
After we were alone, she asked if it's something scary.
I told her they are people wearing masks playing a funny game to keep her at ease.
The DC area is full of Muslims wearing their various styles of covering, it is not unusual. At Tysons mall, I felt like I was in Dubai sometimes. Point is no one here is shocked or in awe over seeing a Muslim in their garb.

Old 08-04-2016, 03:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Other than going from professional to more business casual attire, what you portray during a job interview should align with what you're going to portray during the job.

It's no different than hiring people who sound professional during the interview, but stop sounding professional once they start the job. I don't understand that. It's dishonest and starts the employee off on a bad foot.

Can anyone imagine hiring someone to work with the public, who came in dressed in professional attire, and then showed up for work wearing a plain dress, a veil and a rosary around her neck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies