Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
I have no issues with her wearing a headscarf. But why didn't she wear it on her interview or first 2 days on the job? Religious people don't take off their "gear" for any reason in public (ie: an Orthodox Jew wearing a kippah)
Why do you think? This is a frequent event now. It's done on purpose to sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 04:52 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
She needs to work in a mosque.
Stop making this whole country your mosque. Religious slaves.
Religious practices at place of religion. That's it.
Other places, be like modern human being, don't drag your stupid pre-historical practice everywhere.
Wearing headscarves is not limited to Muslims.
My dentist wears a headscarf. She's jewish. Sometimes she wears a wig instead. But her hair is always covered.
Many Orthodox Christian women also wear them, as do the Mennonites and Amish.

If it doesn't interfere with the job, it doesn't bother me.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:58 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Wearing headscarves is not limited to Muslims.
My dentist wears a headscarf. She's jewish. Sometimes she wears a wig instead. But her hair is always covered.
Many Orthodox Christian women also wear them, as do the Mennonites and Amish.

If it doesn't interfere with the job, it doesn't bother me.
She shouldn't have tricked her employer by misrepresenting herself.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:04 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
"Sorry my autocorrect messed up report (i.e. we got along well)."

Oh, you meant to say RAPPORT! NOW I understand!

As for the rest of your post, THIS is what I was addressing, nothing else:

"Say for instance, I, as a hiring manager felt that blue eyes were "threatening" to people. My fictional company serves a population that feels only dangerous people have blue eyes, so therefore if you come to an interview with your blue eyes, I will be nice but not hire you even if you are qualified. "

Yes, IMO, the feelings of your customers are much more important than a person who deliberately LIES to you by changing the color of his eyes when applying for a job! That kind of misrepresentation IS grounds for dismissal! YOU, as a "hiring manager" have an obligation to the company to ensure that all new hires will be accepted by the majority of your customers. If, as in your hypothetical situation, the majority of the population feels that blue-eyed people can not be trusted, you can not afford to have ol' blue-eyes on your sales floor!

Old 08-04-2016, 05:11 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Question: What if she were wearing a burka instead of just a head scarf?

Doesn't a place of employment, depending on the job, have the right to set the dress code?
Yes, but if the dress code violates an employee's first Amendment freedoms, then they are deemed unconstitutional unless public safety is an issue (i.e., Sikhs wearing a dagger).

This is obviously a shakedown, but the employer is in the wrong if his excuse for firing her is that her hijab might make patients uncomfortable.

Old 08-04-2016, 05:15 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
How is your sanity, mental healthy and emotional health effected by her wearing a headscarf? Are you afraid shell talk about God to you? Afraid shes hiding a cheese sandwich in it?
How does that relate to the hypothetical post I was replying to? There is no mention in that post of a headscarf!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:45 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Should someone be able to come in and interview in dress cloths and then show up wearing this http://www.blogcdn.com/jobs.aol.com/...00lm010710.jpg should they be kept as an employee if they refuse to change cloths? Discrimination is allowing something to one person and not another. If they let this woman dress however she chooses, that dude should be able to as well. Any problem with that? Both are making a political statement. No more, no less.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:14 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Kinda like that silly gold star mom wearing her goofy shroud for her hubby's speech, but there are all kinds of pictures of her at events where she's dressed looking normal.

Whatever they're selling, I'm not buying.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:29 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah
interesting that she didn't feel it was important enough to her faith to go without it for the interview or her first 2 days on the job.
I wonder if she could sue for this?? (Freedom of expression -- WEARING THE SCARF)

Old 08-04-2016, 09:53 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Maybe the dentist can outlib the libs, by saying he needs a safe space away from hijabs because they create trauma for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies