Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 10:21 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's from 2015.

If you figure in unfunded liabilities for pensions and healthcare the state is in deep deep trouble, but we should just ignore all that just like we should ignore illegal immigration I guess.

Retirement liabilities remain despite California budget surplus - Story | KTVU
Could you please highlight for me the illegal immigration portion of that link? I seemed to have missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:36 PM

20,330 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Illegals and refugees should be moved to cities with most registered Democrats.
That will accomplish nothing. The suburbanites are cash cows for NJ's urban politicians.

We (NJ) wrote the book on "wealth redistribution".

Old 08-05-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
NJ spends between $20K and $30K per pupil per year in its poorest school districts, thanks to the Abbott Vs Burke ruling in the state Supreme Court. A ruling that is decades old.

A family with 3 kids costs $60K to $90K per year in these districts.

Someone please tell me how a landscaper married to a housekeeper earns anywhere near enough to pay taxes to cover their children's education?

Yes, pensions are a big problem, as is corruption, but this education bill is a huge and unnecessary burden on the taxpayers. And unlike the pensions, this money is going to people who don't have any business being here in the first place.

How anyone can justify this is beyond me.
Nailed it. That will NEVER change.

Oh, and don't forget the 100 million bucks Zuckerberg gave to the Newark Schools and, well, somebody got it.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
At least they're entitled to those pensions. The illegals aren't entitled to jack shyte.
They're "entitled" to in-state college tuition rates.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
California has way more illegals than New Jersey and it has driven us to . . . a one billion dollar surplus.

California Budget Surplus Nears $1 Billion - capradio.org
Maybe there's something to be said about importing cheap labor if, as you state, has contributed to the surplus.

I know plenty of people who use street corner labor instead of hiring local tradesmen. I don't myself.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:19 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I don't think it's just the Boomers but otherwise, agreed. The benefits given to illegals, which they shouldn't be receiving, is relatively small compared to the pensions.

[a lot like California]
So you're saying that pensions that was earned through years of working, contributing to society and government coffers is not deserved but paying for school and welfare for illegal immigrants is earned?

Why do liberals get everything ass backwards?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:27 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Quote:
Could you please highlight for me the illegal immigration portion of that link? I seemed to have missed it.
He/She is really failing in this thread.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:35 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
California has way more illegals than New Jersey and it has driven us to . . . a one billion dollar surplus.

California Budget Surplus Nears $1 Billion - capradio.org
Until what is paid up/out?

Quote:
SACRAMENTO, Calif.—California has nearly $64 billion in pension debt that eventually must be paid to current and former teachers and state workers—a figure more than $20 billion higher than previous estimates, state Controller Betty Yee said Friday.
California

Old 08-06-2016, 12:49 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Maybe there's something to be said about importing cheap labor if, as you state, has contributed to the surplus.

I know plenty of people who use street corner labor instead of hiring local tradesmen. I don't myself.
While many Republicans talk tough about illegal immigration, there are many others (at least in California) who are very mum about it because it helps their businesses. I know many Republicans here who own restaurants, construction companies, etc who use illegal labor. Republicans are not as unified on the issue as some non-entrepreneurs believe.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:08 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
The never ending conflict between "Takers" and "Makers."
America - you've been punked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies