Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 12:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,799,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I don't want a man sitting on the toilet next to me
and to change the gender of a child 9 years old is immoral...the right should be 21 years of age....
This is a different issue than the restroom issue.

I can agree that it is wrong to change the gender of a 9-year old, and that has nothing to do with religion or any kind of bigotry at all. It's the fact that gender and sexual identity doesn't fully develop until your early teens. I think 18 should be the age, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,238,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman-2 View Post
If a kid has to be 18 years old to legally consent to having sex, how do parents get away with changing a kid's sex when they are much younger.

It seems like child abuse to me!

Exactly, this was totally and immorally the decision of the parents...this is so wrong.
And so wrong of the doctor to perform the surgery....

There should be an investigation and action needs to be taken....

I'm sorry but this goes against any right a child may have...

pretty soon they'll be giving newborns penis's.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,238,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This is a different issue than the restroom issue.

I can agree that it is wrong to change the gender of a 9-year old, and that has nothing to do with religion or any kind of bigotry at all. It's the fact that gender and sexual identity doesn't fully develop until your early teens. I think 18 should be the age, personally.
yeah, I know it doesn't have anything to do with the restroom, but in a way it does....see, I was using that as an example of my rights....

like I said, BAWAC, I don't care what an adult does with their bodies, or what their sexual prefrence is, but, when their decisions infringe on my rights, now it becomes personal.

and for this 9 year old, it also becomes personal....

I swear you should have to take a test to be a parent.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 PM

79 posts, read 53,821 times
Are you seriously saying that a nine-year-old had genital reconfiguration surgery? I'm aware that they use puberty blockers and then cross-sex hormones with trans kids, but I was under the impression that no surgeries happen until the kids are in their teens.

I'm fine with adults making major medical decisions like that, but I don't know that a child under ten has the maturity to commit to removing healthy male genitals and fashioning a neo-vagina which is technically an open wound that needs to be dilated (not trying to be gross but accurate about what SRS entails). So if you are saying that these parents gave a 9 year old genital reconfiguration surgery that requires a lifetime of necrosis risk and specialized care, well, that's just messed up. I can't imagine any respectable doctor would do such a thing. Do no harm and all...

It's fine to let the kid dress and identify how they want, and I don't deny that gender identity disorders are real BUT, I'm less enthusiastic about puberty blockers and hormones and frankly giving kids under ten SRS is just as barbaric as FGM in my opinion.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:35 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,836,715 times
I dont agree that a child that young can be transgender. I think far too many parents are jumping on this bandwagon and its wrong on many levels.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:40 PM

11,761 posts, read 5,772,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wait...what?

Just to make sure I understand you, this family you know had sexual reassignment surgery for a 9-year-old?

Did I just read that right?!?!?

They sure did. I thought they were jumping the gun a bit but he's been to many psychologists. They started dressing him in girls clothing and Liam became Lia. Surgery was the next step. Now I've known many effeminate guys in my life - some have come out of the closet and some are happily married to women.

Today's society seems to think that if you don't make these types of decisions early on - you damage the child - I'd rather let the child grow up and explore their own options when and if they are ready.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,495,578 times
The mother is a whack job.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:14 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,603,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I wanted to be a boy when I was a little girl. I hated dolls, girly stuff, and dresses. Boys got special treatment at school like being able to play baseball and tackle football at recess and do flips on the jungle gyms. I dressed like a boy until 12 years old and always hung out with the boys.

I certainly didn't want to be a male after 12! I still played sports, but I was a girl and embraced it.
Yep, used to be called being a TomBoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman-2 View Post
If a kid has to be 18 years old to legally consent to having sex, how do parents get away with changing a kid's sex when they are much younger.

It seems like child abuse to me!
I completely agree.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:17 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,809,568 times
I don't see what the big deal is since the child is going to kindergarten and they use gender neutral bathrooms.

This is very early elementary school.

But FWIW, I am very much for LGBTQ rights, but I also do not agree with giving a 9 year old a sex change. I have no problems letting them dress however they want or even calling them another name, but nothing permanent at 9 years old. I honestly wouldn't even do it for a teenager. Kids go through a lot in childhood and adolescence and IMO major changes like this should not occur until they are old enough to decide for themselves. I would not want to do something like this, then regret it later on when the child, turned adult, questions my letting him/her decide to dramatically alter their lives in such a way.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:24 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,809,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I fully support LGBT rights, but I don't think transgender youth should transition before puberty. Why? A lot of things can change with puberty relating to identity and gender. From personal experience, before puberty I thought I was more female than male. I saw my younger sister as more masculine than I was. I liked to play with dolls, wear a bow in my hair, and was fascinated by my mom's makeup. Then when puberty hit, all this went away and I became comfortable identifying as male, even though I did end up gay. Today, I could not see myself as a woman.
ITA with the bold.

I think that too often many parents want to jump on a bandwagon after seeing things in the media and I feel that it overshadows the needs of kids who really are transgendered. Which is very rare in an of itself. I honestly would hesitate with doing a transition during adolescence just because kids really do go through a lot during that time period and it is an important developmental time in a person's life in regards to both their psychology and physiology.

I also think that parents should be very accepting of their children and if a son wants to experiment with things like bows or playing with dolls, they should not make it a negative thing. Children learn and grow and change over time and we need to let them grow into who they will become and love them all the while.

I grew up wanting to be a boy. I dressed like a boy and since I have a unisex name I would frequently tell people I was a boy lol. I even went to a swimming camp that was "boys only" with my brother because I wanted to swim and I pretended to be a boy for a month for that camp lol. I have never been all that feminine either, something I now know my mom was sad about. My dad thought I would be a lesbian lol. But I am not and I am very much a heterosexual woman and I even enjoy dresses today and even am good at hair and makeup, which my mom thinks is amazing considering I never wore any at all until I was in my 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies