Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:26 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Thank you, geekigurl. I know that my kid is OK with me, but it's a big world out there. That's what I worry about.
I know, me too. Being so open about it scares the crap out of me. It's hard to recognize those who wish to do harm. But being open and having conversations about it opens minds and hearts, it's also liberating to me.

Quote:
And when I read that it's somehow trendy to have a kid on the trans scale, it makes me nuts. I'm so sorry about your family's response.
Me too. I've made some great friends who I consider my family, it doesn't make holidays any easier, but it helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 05:01 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
What they fail to realize, and what is hard to get across to people, is just how horrifying this is. It does seem as though some think it's trendy to be TG. Nothing could be further from the truth. The truth is I spent a lifetime trying to wish it all away, until I finally had to accept it. I'm not saying I'm all that in the IQ dept., but I'd love to meet this child's Psychologist, because I'd (metaphorically) tear him to shreds in a debate about this.
I'm sorry, but I'm not grasping what you are explaining here....
are you stating that it is horrible to be TG, or it's horrible what these people did to this child?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
In this particular case I have to wonder how much the parent/s were responsible for this so called change? The parent stated that she realized her son was different by the age of 2 and (in the original link) stated: "My child was very feminine, flamboyant and dramatic. No matter how I tried to punish, reshape or discipline her, she continued being very feminine." However, as parents, we all have our 'unique' style of instruction for our children. We all expose our children to differing degrees of exposure to the world through the use of television, radio, internet, school, social events, and friends and family. Plus, as we guide our young, our interpretation of what they see and hear can reflect our own personal perspective.

I am just hesitant to approve of the identification of transgender children at such a young age. I am not saying that it is impossible; I would just be more comfortable if this decision was left up to the kids as they had more time to experience life.
I'm sorry if I confused you....
I'm not for what these parents did to this child at all....

and reason being is...

I grew up in a neighborhood full of boys...the only other girls were my two sisters...

I wanted so much, as a child, to be a boy...play football, baseball, etc. Even wet my hair in the morning and combed it like a boy. I thought I was an ugly kid...then one day, in my early teens, I looked in the mirror and found the girl I was...and I liked her. But as a child, my mother bought me, dolls, a play dish and tea set, stove, etc...and refused to play with them. I wanted a football, baseball glove, etc....

so, while this mother thinks her child is flamboyant and acting feminine, I still think it is so totally wrong of her to get this child an operation. When the child turns 18, then he can decide.

I guess what I'm trying to say it, I try very hard to understand people who are TG. And I do believe there are people born girls who should have been born boys. It happens...just like siamese twins happens, something happens in the womb. However, my guess is, its not nearly as prevelent as Transgenders would like you to believe...

When I was explaining about my friend's brother being a TG, what I was trying to say is, I believe in my heart...he loved her so much, and looked up to her, idolized her, and wanted to be her...so he became in his own mind, his sister. His sister was an amazing woman....

Does that make sense?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
When I was 5 I wanted to be part of the Rat Patrol so I could drive the jeep. Then I wanted to be Gumby's sidekick and drive his jeep.

A colleague said when he was 5 he wanted to be a tree. We were discussing another early developing Trans case about a year ago. I thought it was funny.
We were discussing pre-pub. Jaz I think he.she was called. Poor kid. Life will be tough when he hits puberty.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-12-2016 at 05:26 AM..

Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I wanted to be a boy when I was a little girl. I hated dolls, girly stuff, and dresses. Boys got special treatment at school like being able to play baseball and tackle football at recess and do flips on the jungle gyms. I dressed like a boy until 12 years old and always hung out with the boys.

I certainly didn't want to be a male after 12! I still played sports, but I was a girl and embraced it.

Thanks for this post! I admire you being normal! This is the way it should be! If you are born a boy, you stay a boy, and born a girl you are a girl if you like dolls or not! If you get strange feelings , you just come back to normal like the Texan Yankee (that's a funny name, but I like it, you secret northerner). God made us in the womb like we were to be. I have a young son and a daughter. My daughter loves the color pink, and my son likes to play with trucks and play basketball with me. It's simple.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:39 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
Thanks for this post! I admire you being normal! This is the way it should be! If you are born a boy, you stay a boy, and born a girl you are a girl if you like dolls or not! If you get strange feelings , you just come back to normal like the Texan Yankee (that's a funny name, but I like it, you secret northerner). God made us in the womb like we were to be. I have a young son and a daughter. My daughter loves the color pink, and my son likes to play with trucks and play basketball with me. It's simple.
See.
People like you saying crap like this is why kids and others become confused and ashamed.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:45 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,427,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
See.
People like you saying crap like this is why kids and others become confused and ashamed.
???

Kids don't need to be confused if the parent has some sense. Don't cross dress your children and all that nonsense. If they are a boy they play with trucks. If they are a girl the wear pink and like princesses. My children did this without me pushing it. It's just normal!

Old 08-12-2016, 06:48 AM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
En vogue? I don't know about the parents of *this kid but I can tell you it has been a horrifying experience for me. It's not fun. It's not trendy. It's scary. I worry about my kid all the time. My kid came out to me as gay in middle school. I always suspected that and coming to grips with that was easy. Really easy. Transgender is much more complicated. And in my kid's case they aren't 100% transgender, though I suspect that might be coming. If someone is using their kid to feel en vogue, as put, then that makes me sick.
Right. Your child is going through transitional phases and is not 5 years old. You have allowed your child to grow into their sexuality and identity, the developmental timeline you describe fits. What I worry about is a transgender version of Munchausen by Proxy.

I hope things work out with your kid in a way that leads to satisfying life, whatever form that takes.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
???

Kids don't need to be confused if the parent has some sense. Don't cross dress your children and all that nonsense. If they are a boy they play with trucks. If they are a girl the wear pink and like princesses. My children did this without me pushing it. It's just normal!
I believe people can be born gay or born with a body that doesn't match their gender identity. It's not their fault and they are who they are. I think they have very right to be happy.

Let kids play with the toys they want to play with and play in the manner they want to play.

If I let my son dress how he wanted, he'd be going to school every day as either a ninja or a storm trooper. I make him were the appropriate clothes, not the ones that make him happy. A little boy might want to wear a dress, but I don't think parents should allow that. Once they are old enough to make reasoned decisions on an adult level, they can choose for themselves.

Part of your job as a parent is to teach your children social norms. When it comes down to it, stopping practically anywhere to pee is natural, but we teach our children not to pee in the front yard or on a tree in the park but in a restroom (exceptions made for camping and hiking). Picking your nose to remove boogers is quite natural, but we teach them to wait until they can go blow their nose.

It's practical to have kids dress to match their gender because clothing is a human construct. In Scotland that skirt is a manly kilt, but in the US it's a skirt.

I am think it's horribly wrong for a parent to do anything medically to a child that has any type of gender identity issues. Once they are an adult, that is a different matter altogether.

If you have a little boy who wants to wear dresses, don't belittle or berate him, just explain that he's not allowed to until he's older. Just because my 10-year-old daughter has a very strong desire to drive a car, there is no way I'm tossing her the keys. I just tell her she has to wait until she's older.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I believe people can be born gay or born with a body that doesn't match their gender identity. It's not their fault and they are who they are. I think they have very right to be happy.

Let kids play with the toys they want to play with and play in the manner they want to play.

If I let my son dress how he wanted, he'd be going to school every day as either a ninja or a storm trooper. I make him were the appropriate clothes, not the ones that make him happy. A little boy might want to wear a dress, but I don't think parents should allow that. Once they are old enough to make reasoned decisions on an adult level, they can choose for themselves.

Part of your job as a parent is to teach your children social norms. When it comes down to it, stopping practically anywhere to pee is natural, but we teach our children not to pee in the front yard or on a tree in the park but in a restroom (exceptions made for camping and hiking). Picking your nose to remove boogers is quite natural, but we teach them to wait until they can go blow their nose.

It's practical to have kids dress to match their gender because clothing is a human construct. In Scotland that skirt is a manly kilt, but in the US it's a skirt.

I am think it's horribly wrong for a parent to do anything medically to a child that has any type of gender identity issues. Once they are an adult, that is a different matter altogether.

If you have a little boy who wants to wear dresses, don't belittle or berate him, just explain that he's not allowed to until he's older. Just because my 10-year-old daughter has a very strong desire to drive a car, there is no way I'm tossing her the keys. I just tell her she has to wait until she's older.
I agree with you on this, totally common sense reasoning...and belief....thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies