Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 09:19 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,552,031 times

Advertisements

I am getting really tired of all the self-haters and apologists.

For the last time, there is no affirmative action in the Olympics. Advancing and winning is based on MERIT ONLY!

"Simone Manuel gave proof that America's ugly history with black swimmers could be cracking"

Simone Manuel gave proof that America's ugly history with black swimmers could be cracking

"The history of black Americans and swimming is a microcosm of the institutional racism that held back the United States for so long and still percolates in society today. The perception that black people can’t swim is ignorant; the reality that black people don’t swim is closer to the truth – USA Swimming estimates 70 percent of black children don’t know how to swim and the CDC says they’re 5½ times likelier to drown than white kids – and it’s a symptom of the errors of our forebears. Errors that someone like Simone Manuel is going a long way to erase."

so he's calling the CDC racist because AA's are 5 & 1/2 times likelier to drown than white kids?? Does he think they just made this up? This isn't journalism. This is blogging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:24 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
In my experience, it has always been black people themselves stating that blacks cannot swim.

Having been a high school swimmer myself- in the DC Interhigh no less, I saw quite a few good black swimmers.

All living creatures can swim. Is it possible there exists a certain percentage of people who have simply never bothered to learn?

Old 08-12-2016, 09:25 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,563,954 times
It's so stupid. Unfortunately the Democrats thrive on race politics. It is their advantage and they are never going to let it go.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
In my experience, it has always been black people themselves stating that blacks cannot swim.

Having been a high school swimmer myself- in the DC Interhigh no less, I saw quite a few good black swimmers.

All living creatures can swim. Is it possible there exists a certain percentage of people who have simply never bothered to learn?
Exactly

it's like saying Black people can't play ice hockey. that's not true either... they're just not attracted to that sport.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:30 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
The media, and the swimmer herself, are all over this with the racism angle. Truly pathetic.

Quote:
"I would like there to be a day where there are more of us and it's not 'Simone, the black swimmer,''' she said,
"The title 'black swimmer' makes it seem like I'm not supposed to be able to win a gold medal or I'm not supposed to be able to break records and that's not true because I work just as hard as anybody else. I want to win just like everybody else."
Why Simone Manuel's Olympic gold medal in swimming matters - BBC News

I suppose we can't really blame a 20-year-old for regurgitating the racial victimhood crap she's been fed over her lifetime. Still, it's nauseating.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
The drownings are because they were never taught how to swim. I was swimming and jumping off the dive at age 2, by the time I was twenty back flips off a 30 foot cliff. Wasn't a whole lot of kids in my area that didn't swim rich or poor.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The media, and the swimmer herself, are all over this with the racism angle. Truly pathetic.

and for anyone who watched this live, the entire USA swim team and all the coaches went absolutely crazy when she won. several of the swimmers mobbed her with hugs and cried with her.

so racist

Old 08-12-2016, 09:45 AM

148 posts, read 137,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post

I suppose we can't really blame a 20-year-old for regurgitating the racial victimhood crap she's been fed over her lifetime. Still, it's nauseating.
What about her statement reflects "racial victimhood". It would seem that she agrees with you and doesn't want to be identified as the black swimmer who won gold, she would rather just be the swimmer that won gold.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:45 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
... they're just not attracted to that sport.
I don't think it has anything to do with attraction to the sport but the fact very few of them live in areas where kids are skating all the time. I have a cousin that grew up in an area where they had access to a pond, it was semi rural area so that's what they did in the winter. Him and his buddies would go into these leagues where a team might only have few players with that much experience and they would just crush them. LOL

If someone has been skating and playing hockey their entire life it's going to be very difficult to come off the street at an older age and break into that sport.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:54 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post
What about her statement reflects "racial victimhood". It would seem that she agrees with you and doesn't want to be identified as the black swimmer who won gold, shed rather just be the swimmer that won gold.
Right... she doesn't want to be known as the black swimmer, but after winning, the first thing she does is audition for leadership of BLM.

Quote:
Manuel said that her victory was extra special in the context of ongoing race issues in the U.S.
“It means a lot, especially with what is going on in the world today, some of the issues of police brutality,” Manuel said. “This win hopefully brings hope and change to some of the issues that are going on. My color just comes with the territory.”
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...mmer/88603406/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies