Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 10:47 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times

Advertisements

I have posted many articles from Huffington and consder them a respectable news source but now I have to question that. They gave the okay to a blog article under their name promoting Multi Level Marketing and seeking to persuade others especially women with children to get involved.

I tried that crap years ago . It is just that crap. A failed business model. Only those who start in the beginning make any money and they do so by suckering others to purchase, and then try to sell, overpriced products that pay out a commission to everyone in their " upline" ( the people who got in at the beginning)with every sale . Telling their recruits to hang in there and try harder when the money does not come, getting them to buy their motivation books and videos and go to their meetings. They " recruit" more and more suckers who saturate the market looking for the same limited clients and trying to recuit more people until nobody stands a chance of making a dime. No protected territories, no benefits, no salaries just empty promises and prospect of bothering all your family and friends ....

Here is the blog that Huffington Post agreed to allow I have lost respect for them.

The Brutal Truth About Those Pyramid Schemes

Last edited by vanguardisle; 08-13-2016 at 12:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 10:59 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
I have posted many articles from Huffington and consder then a respectable news source but now I have to question that. They gave the okay to a blog article under their name promoting Multi Level Marketing and seeking to persuade others especially women with children to get involved.

I tried that crap years ago . It is just that crap. A failed business model. Only those who start in the beginning make any money and they do so by suckering others to purchase, and then try to sell, overpriced products that pay out a commission to everyone in their " upline" ( the people who got in at the beginning)with ever sale . Telling their recruits to hang in there and try harder when the money does not come, getting them to buy their motivation books and videos and go to their meetings. They " recruit" more and more suckers who saturate the market looking for the same limited clients until nobody stands a chance of making a dime. No protected territories, no benefits, no salaries just empty promises and prospect of bothering all your family and friends ....

Here is the blog that Huffington Post agreed to allow I have lost respect for them.

Well, consider the source, it's Huffington Post. If they told me the time of day, I'd have to look at my watch to make sure it was true.

Haven't looked at it for years.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:18 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Huffington Post is a cesspool filled with wanna be *writers* who aren't even paid for their *contributions*.

That tells me all I need to know.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:19 AM

I had not really read their blogs before I do read their news articles . They focus a lot on politics

Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
I have posted many articles from Huffington and consder then a respectable news source but now I have to question that. They gave the okay to a blog article under their name promoting Multi Level Marketing and seeking to persuade others especially women with children to get involved.

I tried that crap years ago . It is just that crap. A failed business model. Only those who start in the beginning make any money and they do so by suckering others to purchase, and then try to sell, overpriced products that pay out a commission to everyone in their " upline" ( the people who got in at the beginning)with every sale . Telling their recruits to hang in there and try harder when the money does not come, getting them to buy their motivation books and videos and go to their meetings. They " recruit" more and more suckers who saturate the market looking for the same limited clients and trying to recuit more people until nobody stands a chance of making a dime. No protected territories, no benefits, no salaries just empty promises and prospect of bothering all your family and friends ....

This article is a sales pitch. They wrote "yes, yes and absolutely yes" among other phrases to drive the point home of why people should invest time and money with these. Many do this each year with big dreams to end up disappointed. Building a business that makes lots of money is not easy in itself outside this; Many small business owners draw a salary and make only a bit more then the highest paid employee for a few years at best when starting.

The article is junk, and sounds like an infomercial. Not sure what they were thinking here.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
This article is a sales pitch. They wrote "yes, yes and absolutely yes" among other phrases to drive the point home of why people should invest time and money with these. Many do this each year with big dreams to end up disappointed. Building a business that makes lots of money is not easy in itself outside this; Many small business owners draw a salary and make only a bit more then the highest paid employee for a few years at best when starting.

The article is junk, and sounds like an infomercial. Not sure what they were thinking here.
I agree, I can't believe that MLM is still alive and well but it actually is. Even Amway MLM that settled a lawsuit for $150 million a few years ago is still around and suckering people, who then try to sucker other people. I have met a few who tried to recruit me. I actually met one yesterday. They are now told not to use the word Amway and try to get you to join with a lot of vague talk about where things are going in the future ... I feel bad for these people they are suckers and do not know it they actually seem to believe what they are saying and think if they just work harder the money will soon come. I bought into one of those years ago bought some products but never actually did anything with it. Thank goodness .

The worst thing about this article is that I read in one of the reply messages underneath it that it did have a link to an actual mlm website . I think that link may have been taken down now after one of the message board posters said she complained to Huffington about it, but the author of the article herself still does have several links to her facebook pages. No doubt if anyone contacts her she will try to sell something to them.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:55 AM

8,865 posts, read 6,869,333 times
A large percentage of media coverage is paid for. This is a depressing, scary fact about today's world. There's theoretically a "news" side and an "advertising" side, but on some topics especially (get rich quick, diet, travel, science-denying, etc.) the advertising side pays good money to make you think it's legit.

Same thing with a lot of comments on internet bulletin boards. Foreign governments, corporations denying smoking/climate/food science, and political campaigns find that posting online is a quick, cheap way to influence a ton of people very quickly.

Much of it's noticeable if you read with this in mind.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
A large percentage of media coverage is paid for. This is a depressing, scary fact about today's world. There's theoretically a "news" side and an "advertising" side, but on some topics especially (get rich quick, diet, travel, science-denying, etc.) the advertising side pays good money to make you think it's legit.

Same thing with a lot of comments on internet bulletin boards.

Much of it's noticeable if you read with this in mind.

That is scary and so true. A lot of news articles come across to me as uncomfortably biased these days. And also when I check my email on aol I see a lot of articles labled adverisement or promotion, sponsor or from our partners.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:02 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
I agree, I can't believe that MLM is still alive and well but it actually is. Even Amway MLM that settled a lawsuit for $150 million a few years ago is still around and suckering people, who then try to sucker other people. I have met a few who tried to recruit me. I actually met one yesterday. They are now told not to use the word Amway and try to get you to join with a lot of vague talk about where things are going in the future ... I feel bad for these people they are suckers and do not know it they actually seem to believe what they are saying and think if they just work harder the money will soon come. I bought into one of those years ago bought some products but never actually did anything with it. Thank goodness .

The worst thing about this article is that I read in one of the reply messages underneath it that it did have a link to an actual mlm website . I think that link may have been taken down now after one of the message board posters said she complained to Huffington about it, but the author of the article herself still does have several links to her facebook pages. No doubt if anyone contacts her she will try to sell something to them.
I had more the one try to recruit me as well. There was one I posted about where I got conned into attending a seminar and it was a sight for sore eyes. Tanned "super rich" guy (who just returned from a fabulous vacation) jumping around on stage like Tony Robbins on a caffeine and meth binge, stories of rags to riches, people in the crowd insulted for working full time etc. And a big screen with propaganda that rivaled the cheesiest infomercial. And people went into their wallets to buy in. I was trying to find that post but was unsuccessful. I too feel bad for the people who get lifted up to the clouds with financial success drilled into their heads, only to get dropped like Icarus flying too close to the sun. And it will never change. Those benefiting from someone elses misfortune will simply enjoy what they earn and do it again.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I had more the one try to recruit me as well. There was one I posted about where I got conned into attending a seminar and it was a sight for sore eyes. Tanned "super rich" guy (who just returned from a fabulous vacation) jumping around on stage like Tony Robbins on a caffeine and meth binge, stories of rags to riches, people in the crowd insulted for working full time etc. And a big screen with propaganda that rivaled the cheesiest infomercial. And people went into their wallets to buy in. I was trying to find that post but was unsuccessful. I too feel bad for the people who get lifted up to the clouds with financial success drilled into their heads, only to get dropped like Icarus flying too close to the sun. And it will never change. Those benefiting from someone elses misfortune will simply enjoy what they earn and do it again.

Did you get conned into going to one of those too ? lol. You are so right that is exactly what I experienced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies