Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 01:44 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,983,645 times

Advertisements

A 6-month-old boy died after being left all day in a hot sport utility vehicle in a San Antonio-area Wal-Mart parking lot, authorities said.

His death brings the number of children who have died in hot cars in the U.S. this year to at least 27, including six in Texas, said Janette Fennell, founder and president of KidsAndCars.org, a national child safety nonprofit based in Philadelphia. That's up from last year's total of 15.

The baby's father, who works at the store in the suburb of Helotes, told officers that he forgot to drop his son off at day care before going to work about 6:15 a.m. Friday, said Helotes police Capt. Anthony Burges. The father found his child dead after finishing work and returning to the SUV about 3 p.m.

Temperatures in the area hovered around 100 degrees much of the afternoon.

The father was taken to a hospital after reporting chest pains, Burges said. No charges have been filed in the case. The name of the infant's father has not been released by authorities.

How can you forget about your baby in the back seat of your car? For 9 HOURS!!! NO CHARGES!!!!??

6-month-old Texas boy dies after being left in hot car for 9 hours | Local News - WCVB Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 01:49 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
I think in these situations the family dynamics should be investigated and no charges filed if it appears the man was a loving father. Losing a child is punishment enough.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:23 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,383,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I think in these situations the family dynamics should be investigated and no charges filed if it appears the man was a loving father. Losing a child is punishment enough.
You said it.

Old 08-13-2016, 03:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25
How can you forget about your baby in the back seat of your car? For 9 HOURS!!! NO CHARGES!!!!??
Thats how braindead the masses are now!!!!!!!!

TOTALLY UNREAL AND SAD

Old 08-13-2016, 04:19 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Quote:
On the other hand, if there were actual consequences for what amounts to criminal negligence, maybe the possibility of jail time (or a big fine) would be the one element that would make parents check the back seat before walking away from their cars. The possibility of losing a child doesn't seem to be enough to make them stop focusing on themselves or their phones or whatever else is more important than their helpless child long enough to get them to take that one simple step.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
On the other hand, if there were actual consequences for what amounts to criminal negligence, maybe the possibility of jail time (or a big fine) would be the one element that would make parents check the back seat before walking away from their cars. The possibility of losing a child doesn't seem to be enough to make them stop focusing on themselves or their phones or whatever else is more important than their helpless child long enough to get them to take that one simple step.
If the possibility of losing a loved one does not cause you not to forget the possibility of jail time won't either.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
What about other kids in the family and the loss of a parent to jail? Loss of income and lost income earning ability. Lots of negatives for something a good parent will never outlive.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:28 PM

I think the reason these things happen is no one ever thinks it could happen to them. Simply leaving your cell phone in the backseat with the child would greatly reduce these incidents.

Old 08-13-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
I think the reason these things happen is no one ever thinks it could happen to them. Simply leaving your cell phone in the backseat with the child would greatly reduce these incidents.
Habits I was a bus driver. The bus I drove had a back door. If you opened it that would set the brakes. Then if you close it the brakes come off. I set up the habit of feeling if the bus was moving after I shut the doors when reaching through the window upon leaving the bus when fueling it. I also had worked out what to do if it moved. The day it moved on me I got it stopped in about 6 inches and with my heart pounding I went and set the parking brake.

The other employee that took over after I was done with that job had the bus crash into the parked semis when he made the same mistake I did. Airbags kill kids in the front seat when they go off and in the back seat when they get forgotten in the heat.

Old 08-13-2016, 05:27 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,477 times
Quote:
If the possibility of losing a loved one does not cause you not to forget the possibility of jail time won't either.
The point I was making was that the possibility of losing a child doesn't seem to be enough to get these self-absorbed people to think about that child for just the few seconds it would take to check the back seat, so maybe the possibility of losing their own freedom would cause them to revise their priorities and invest those few seconds in thinking about something other than themselves. They only have to devote a few seconds to prevent these tragedies, but that seems to be too much effort. If they could be certain of punishment (since the potential loss of a child doesn't seem to be enough) that would actually interfere with their own activities, maybe these children wouldn't die in this awful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies