Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:19 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times

Advertisements

My son, who is autistic, was bullied off and on in middle school, and we fought with the school constantly. In 9th grade, another boy took a swing at him and my son had enough. He knocked the other boy out. They never bothered him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 08:38 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Was born and raised in this part of NYC and family still lives on Staten Island. Read this story earlier this morning on local newspaper's website and was just sick to my stomach. Know the area where the family lives and as they say "you just don't know".

Report: Staten Island boy, 13, commits suicide after he says he was bullied | SILive.com

Old 08-13-2016, 08:55 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wait.
So his school didn't do anything.
What did his parents do?

Look at this kid's poor sweet face.

For the record local NYC news sources are reporting the school claims listened and took seriously the parent's complains up to and including providing support/counseling, interviewing all students in 7th and 8th grades, and even had the NYPD (local LE) visit the school a few times.

Staten Island family torn over teen's suicide; says he was bullied in school | abc7ny.com

Old 08-13-2016, 09:03 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
For the record local NYC news sources are reporting the school claims listened and took seriously the parent's complains up to and including providing support/counseling, interviewing all students in 7th and 8th grades, and even had the NYPD (local LE) visit the school a few times.

Staten Island family torn over teen's suicide; says he was bullied in school | abc7ny.com
If the school didn't expel the bullies, then no, they didn't do everything they could to stop it.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:06 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Just a few comments:

1. There are 2 sides to every story, and we can't hear the school's side of the story due to confidentiality laws.
2. However, I've seen this pattern all too often, so I don't doubt that the school may have been very lax about bullying.
3. In my school the problem was the teaching staff. They would hear about things going on but not report it to an administrator. Then an angry parent would come in and I'd hear about it. When I would confront the teacher about it, I would typically get the response, "Well, boys will be boys", or "It's just part of growing up", or "You know how girls are". Finally I had to start formally reprimanding a few teachers and had a professional anti-bullying team come in for a day of staff workshops on bullying.
4. We usually could stop bullying...if we knew about it. But many kids (apparently not this one) would not tell adults they were being bullied.
5. Boys tend to bully physically. Girls tend to bully emotionally.

All too many schools are lax about this

Old 08-13-2016, 09:08 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
If the school didn't expel the bullies, then no, they didn't do everything they could to stop it.
As a Catholic school they could have fairly easily expelled the bullies. In a public school, expulsion is far less easy, although significant suspensions are possible. And there's also the legal angle to pursue, although most parents will not do it.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:10 PM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
My daughter had a problem with a boy bullying her. She told me, I wrote a letter to the teacher. The teacher brought the letter to the principal and that was that. The pen is pretty mighty if you know the correct words to use. Schools don't want legal issues.
Fortunately you had a teacher and principal who seem to care and did their job to stop the bullying. Unfortunately that is not always the case.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:11 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
This is heartbreaking. But I just don't understand why he would kill himself. I was teased and bullied in school and it was horrible what I went through. But I never thought about killing myself

Old 08-14-2016, 01:12 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
It's sad and tragic and I saw his father crying on TV. But why his parents didn't remove him from that school after the inappropriate response of school administration?

Old 08-14-2016, 01:43 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
American teachers are afraid of the parents and do not want to intervene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies