Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:09 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Same boat here. I don't care about being wealthy per se. I'd just like to not have to worry about money. If I won the proverbial lottery, I'd want to help out some family and friends and donate to some decent charities. I care very little about "stuff" and fortunately my wife and children are also not terribly materialistic.

Don't care about a mansion, flashy cars, Rolex watches. A modest home and a dependable car or two. Maybe do some traveling. I'd much prefer to experience life and see more of the world than get bogged down with possessions.
Agreed. People get weighed down by stuff. George Carlin put it best where "A house becomes a place to store stuff-while you go out and get more stuff" Plus even people not wealthy compete to have the latest pair of sneakers, sunglasses or cell phone. Here in NYC I have seen people lined up down the block, and even fights breaking out on line waiting for sneakers. I cant imagine how bad it would be if there was a natural disaster and they had to line up for supplies. We are a materialistic society and many hold the status of having things in higher regards then to everything else, like what we may contribute to the community, or the world.

Your comments about if you won the lotto mirror mine also.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:13 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Right, prisons are full of rich people!
They're full of the bad people (and often not bad people) who couldn't afford to avoid it. Their wealthy counterparts are often walking freely.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:16 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,132,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I will tell you a story of a rich guy very rich, who had $60,000 worth of trees delivered to his mansion property in NJ.. The driver of the 18 wheeler was an old white guy who lost his job and worked delivering trees .. the men who helped unload the truck were illegals who overstayed their green card..

The rich guy walked over and handed each illegal a $50 bill for helping the old guy take off the trees. When he came to the old white guy who had to maneuver to get the 18 wheeler onto his property without hitting his light poles and tear up the lawn , he made this statement to the old white guy after the illegals pointed him out for a tip The rich guy said to him." If you haven't made it yet, you don't deserve a tip.''

How is that for being a disgusting rich , low life kind of a guy.

This was related to me and I could see the guy who told me this was hurt . Maybe there is something about saying the filthy rich..
Poor guy. I hope he had a really nice customer after that to help make up for that jerk.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:24 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingComment View Post
Are you seriously going to use anecdotal evidence to generalize here?

You do realize how incredibly stupid it is to try and infer some sort of meaning for your own limited experience with a specific person? What is even equally idiotic is that you actually attempt to take this personal guys behavior and attach it to the fact that he has money.

Again, if you are to accept such limited evaluation as valid, then you have to accept all generalizations of equal evaluation as true. To not do so makes one not simply stupid, but likely equally deviant.
Face it.. a rich person can belittle a working guy much easier than a poor person. This is the example.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
I will tell you a story of a rich guy very rich, who had $60,000 worth of trees delivered to his mansion property in NJ.. The driver of the 18 wheeler was an old white guy who lost his job and worked delivering trees .. the men who helped unload the truck were illegals who overstayed their green card..

The rich guy walked over and handed each illegal a $50 bill for helping the old guy take off the trees. When he came to the old white guy who had to maneuver to get the 18 wheeler onto his property without hitting his light poles and tear up the lawn , he made this statement to the old white guy after the illegals pointed him out for a tip The rich guy said to him." If you haven't made it yet, you don't deserve a tip.''

How is that for being a disgusting rich , low life kind of a guy.

This was related to me and I could see the guy who told me this was hurt . Maybe there is something about saying the filthy rich..
Please explain how this makes the rich guy disgusting?

Was it not hitting his light pole or tearing up the lawn part of the driver's job?

Was he not telling the truth that in this country if you haven't made it ...?

Old 08-14-2016, 11:49 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Face it.. a rich person can belittle a working guy much easier than a poor person. This is the example.
How? It's not like "evil rich people" and "evil corporations" not used by the media day in and day out.

Nowadays, being rich automatically equates to being immoral and criminal without cause. How much more belittling do we need for the rich?

Old 08-14-2016, 12:13 PM

39,192 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I've done residential work for both middle class and wealthy clients. In my experience the worst residential jobs ever worked on were for wealthy clients. Rich people tend to b$tch about the little things and to get their way withhold payment. Working class people very seldom give me problems. They all know what it is to work hard for a living and usually pay promptly.
You need to remember that Money and education cannot buy class.

This said, Not all rich people are horrible human beings. Here in Newport beach, you see all kinds. Most just keep it to themselves.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:16 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,069,646 times
There are many types of rich. I guess it depends on what they did to become "rich". The very rich, the ones that made their own wealth tend to be some of the nicest, most insightful, and most respectful people you would ever want to meet. They became successful because they were intelligent, talented, and well liked.

There is another class of "rich" who got there from walking over people, being aggressive and demanding, and generally less talented. Those are the @-hole class of rich. Plenty of those around.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:20 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,831,333 times
The nicest guy I met is someone who was mentioned in an MBA textbook as pioneer. He asked me about my personal life, marriage, kids, religion, etc. He only give good advice. It was like talking to Pops. I loved that guy. Reminded me of an easy going Robert Loggia. Soft on the outside but tough on the inside. I did my best for him.

I try to emulate the better bosses, seniors encountered in my life when dealing with young folks.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:41 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingComment View Post
Oh look, a troll generalizing a claim about a specific class of people.

You do realize that his argument is no different than if someone came in and said black people are criminals, white people are inbreed, and Mexicans are lazy right? I guess his argument is acceptable because it is attacking those evil rich people!

I swear, we are becoming dumber and dumber as a people.
Yep, the left claims everyone else uses hate speech then encourages hatred of the rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.