Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 04:01 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,768,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
I think wealthy people who push working class people out of their homes through gentrification are horrible human beings yes. And since I've not heard a single rich person decrying the issue, YES...the rich are horrible people.
I think this is a poor excuse to argue against gentrification.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 PM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Most got issues. I have met some way up there personally. There is an air, like no other. My view - their noses so high, on low oxygen,

Old 08-14-2016, 04:25 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,713,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
now i am confused. where did i demand that rich people pay more for anything? i was part of the SERVICE INDUSTRY(hospitality actually same thing though), i SERVED those people. i NEVER demanded ANYTHING from them. anything extra i got from them, i received because i did my job very well in their eyes, and they felt i deserved more.

for instance, there was an IBM vice president that came to stay at the lodge i worked at. he asked, at 4:30 in the morning, if he could use a phone line to check his emails and get other work done. i told him certainly. i asked him if he wanted anything, coffee, danish, whatever. he said that would be great, so i got them for him. he asked me how much and i jokingly said $20. as he reached for his wallet i told him i was kidding there was no charge for that stuff. he stayed 2 weeks, as i recall, and each morning i got him wha ever he wanted. at the end when h was checking out, he handed me $100 for a tip. and while i was happy for the tip, i was also happy to serve him anyway.

many was the time i did the same thing for other guests, and never got paid for it, but it was no big deal, i would do the same thing anyway.
Wow you're so you can't expand your thinking. Re-read my post.

By the way, the majority of times we receive excellent service and I can see people work very hard so I do make every attempt to make the manager is aware of our satisfaction, plus a tip of course. "because we really do appreciate their good service very much".

I've had one or two bad experiences (very rare), one I recall was in a hotel in Baltimore, a girl with real attitude. I considered making a comment but I opted not to, she made herself miserable and was suffering enough already and nothing was going to help or fix her.

Last edited by petch751; 08-14-2016 at 04:39 PM..

Old 08-14-2016, 04:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,551,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Or those who want them to pay higher taxes because they think they are rich but they aren't rich are the worst.
Or those "I deserve to go to college and other people should pay for my tuition!"

How about those "I deserve to be paid X amount even though I was not producing much value"?

And those "others need to pay their fair share so I can enjoy the welfare?"

2,348 posts, read 1,902,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
By the way someone paying for a job to be done, have every right to expect it to be done right. Demanding that someone actually does what they pay them to do does not make them a horrible human being, anybody accepting money for a job and not wanting to do the job correctly and on a timely basis is a far more horrible person, and borderline con artist, the sad part is how many in the working class are willing to put up with paying for shoddy workmanship.
I disagree somewhat. It's a matter of doing the job right for the standards that are agreed upon. There are various levels of quality and the contractor and the client have to discuss what the expectations are before the contract is signed. Both sides have to agree on what's "correct" before the work begins.

In commercial construction, if we need the highest level of quality finish on drywall, we ask for a Level 5 finish. The architect notes it in the specifications and it's also noted with the carpenter's and painter's contract. There's an actual written industry standard on what encompasses a level 5 finish. If you ask somebody for painted drywall, you can't expect a Level 5 finish unless you dictate that's what you want beforehand.

In bathrooms with marble walls, I've had clients dictate that they want the veins in all the pieces of marble to line up at the seams. You can't expect to get marble like that if you don't ask for it.

I read a post online about a contractor having problems with a client. He wanted the subfloor to be level within 1/32". That's not even the finish tile floor! He wanted the concrete base underneath the tile to be that level. THAT is nitpicking, especially when it doesn't affect the finished product and is beyond standard practice and tolerances.

3,276 posts, read 7,841,326 times
I know a couple of multimillionaires who live in a small suburban house, drive an older car, and never brag about their wealth. These are literally the millionaire next door types. Those are pretty cool people.

Then there are the wealthy (or quite often simply upper middle class) who are rude and look down their nose at people, drive a BMW, wear a Rolex, own a yacht, and flaunt their wealth (or perceived wealth) constantly. Those types get on my nerves.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:07 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,131,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Most got issues. I have met some way up there personally. There is an air, like no other. My view - their noses so high, on low oxygen,
You got something against tall people, tiny?

Old 08-14-2016, 05:12 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please explain how this makes the rich guy disgusting?

Was it not hitting his light pole or tearing up the lawn part of the driver's job?

Was he not telling the truth that in this country if you haven't made it ...?
If I have to explain it you wouldn't get it.

Old 08-14-2016, 05:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,713,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Or those "I deserve to go to college and other people should pay for my tuition!"

How about those "I deserve to be paid X amount even though I was not producing much value"?

And those "others need to pay their fair share so I can enjoy the welfare?"
Watch this video, listen to what he says.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1Ex5NZKvCg

Old 08-14-2016, 05:18 PM

892 posts, read 1,576,383 times
It is extremely important to remember that the way a person behaves when they think no one is looking and/or judging is who the person really is....

Some people are very good actors and are skilled at keeping up appearances.

I used to keep a boat at a very large marina in FL. And based on what I witnessed with my own eyes and ears for over a decade.....

Generally speaking, the bigger the boat...the bigger the A-hole

Examples: In way over their head and refuse to admit it
Preach "personal responsibility" and exercise none of it
Excessive drinking
Bad parenting (horrible)
Driving the family home in the Escalade after an extremely long day of drinking in the sun
Screaming at the wife while trying to dock the boat (completely his fault every time)
Allowing kids to run around the marina in and around busy heavy equipment
Unleashed dogs
Terrible boat handling skills
Always having an "assertive attitude" even when they are clearly in the wrong
Speaking down to the marina staff
Completely unrealistic expectations
Have their "own idea" of "how things should be at the marina" based on no experience

At a marina such as this one....you pay a per foot rate for storage. So, the bigger the boat, the more you pay....very simple concept. If a customer pays more, it is because their boat takes up more space.

It seemed that the "big boat crowd" expected a higher level of service than the smaller boats received from the staff. I was very friendly with the staff after all those years and they were constantly dealing with these people that wanted the marina to make exceptions to the policies that were clearly posted and understood.

I am a military Veteran and as such I'm not a fan of people who think they're special.

My point is.....if these people's co-workers, employees, employers, business associates, ect, ect could see them acting this way on their time off (when they think no one is looking) they would see the real people that are hiding behind their money and status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.