Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 09:23 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times

Advertisements

Don't worry. This holiday will be phased out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
It's August now, not July.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:44 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Great Emancipator!!
Lincoln thought the same as well, Stating, the Freemen will never be equal to the white man.

“I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races – that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything.”

Abraham Lincoln
(1809-1865) 16th US President

Source: Fourth Debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858
(The Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln edited by Roy P. Basler, Volume III, pp. 145-146.)
It looks like we need to wipe him out of the history too!

Old 08-14-2016, 09:48 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
I would hate to see the 4th of July abolished.

One day out of the year that I can celebrate how thankful I am to be born in the heartland of the greatest nation on earth.

No matter how disgusting our politics get, or the bad news we hear each day there is no country on earth I would want to live in. Many of my relatives fought for the freedoms that I enjoy, and it would be a disgrace for me to not appreciate that.

The 4th is one day I can focus on how lucky I really am to live here.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:56 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Only those not born & raised in the USA would object to the 4th of July Celebration.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:58 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,565,274 times
Quote:
Only those not born & raised in the USA would object to the 4th of July Celebration.
And if they are Americans, they must be Democrats.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
[quote=Mayiask;45133891]I would hate to see the 4th of July abolished.

One day out of the year that I can celebrate how thankful I am to be born in the heartland of the greatest nation on earth.

No matter how disgusting our politics get, or the bad news we hear each day there is no country on earth I would want to live in. Many of my relatives fought for the freedoms that I enjoy, and it would be a disgrace for me to not appreciate that.

The 4th is one day I can focus on how lucky I really am to live here.[/quote]

You were born in Australia?? Awesome, mate!!!

I feel that way every Jan 26!!! Now more than ever with what's going on over there. Good God really??

For all of you "patriots" that will say how grateful you also are that I'm there too; just remember that America has one less college-educated law abiding citizen who has worked daily since age 9, paid taxes since age 14, enlisted to serve in the Marines at 18, and worked his own way through college on his own dime, never took a dime in help.
So what you say? Well from what I'm seeing you need all of those types that you can get, cause you sure aren;t raising many more of those kinds

Old 08-14-2016, 10:14 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
That got personal quickly.
I had higher expectations.
You get back what you put out. Say controversial things, expect people to controversy you. Why would you expect otherwise?

Old 08-14-2016, 10:18 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,923 times
[quote=LeaveWI;45134022]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
I would hate to see the 4th of July abolished.

The 4th is one day I can focus on how lucky I really am to live here.[/quote]

You were born in Australia?? Awesome, mate!!!

I feel that way every Jan 26!!! Now more than ever with what's going on over there. Good God really??

For all of you "patriots" that will say how grateful you also are that I'm there too; just remember that America has one less college-educated law abiding citizen who has worked daily since age 9, paid taxes since age 14, enlisted to serve in the Marines at 18, and worked his own way through college on his own dime, never took a dime in help.
So what you say? Well from what I'm seeing you need all of those types that you can get, cause you sure aren;t raising many more of those kinds
Not rethinking, much less taking back anything I said.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
[quote=Mayiask;45134069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post

Not rethinking, much less taking back anything I said.

never asked you to. Just saying that you don't live in the greatest nation on Earth-I do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies