Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 05:44 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And the only persons who will be affected by it are the ones who didn't riot. I bet the ones who rioted most likely are young men with no jobs, can't get public assistance except through their mother or girlfriend, no car, some might have criminal records already. Men with nothing to lose. The ones with something to lose were likely not out there. That won't stop more riots from happening in the future, and it will drive away the people who work for their money.

I can tell you this. If some politician puts a riot tax on me, and I didn't do anything, I'm filing a lawsuit, and you can bet come the next election, that politician will be voted out of office.
Then that will galvanize those people by getting an exemption from the riot tax; like ratting out the rioters.

Win win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
I kind of agree with that. After I moved to a safer neighborhood, I am paying less for shipping & handling when I order online. Also, I dont have to be home to sign for a package whereas at my previous place, they often left a notice at my door to be home for delivery or collect the package at the post office but it has never happened here.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:15 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No. The rioters need to be arrested and charged. Making everyone else pay is just stupid.
Seems like a simple enough thing, right? Shouldn't law enforcement be intervening to stop the melee and arrest those doing it? Or maybe they do that if there's only ONE person creating havoc.

What's going to happen when they do "take it to the suburbs" as was suggested by one of the riot...attendees?

Just a little something to think about.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:35 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
Also, I dont have to be home to sign for a package.......

Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... don't be giving anyone ideas.

Old 08-16-2016, 07:48 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,606,489 times
Auto insurance rates are based on level of accidents in that zip code, not the property value or personal incomes of the people the people living there.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Then that will galvanize those people by getting an exemption from the riot tax; like ratting out the rioters.

Win win.
Actually, it will make alot of people leave that neighborhood. Don't live in that neighborhood? Can't be taxed. What then?

And I know enough about your posts that you are a conservative. Conservatives are often for lower taxes. What you are suggesting is very hypocritical, in particular, making the innocent pay for the guilty. You are against the innocent suffering from the anger of rioters. Why make the people who weren't involved pay a riot tax?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
7 factors that determine auto insurance premiums:

https://learningcenter.statefarm.com...ance-premiums/

Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Someone else asked if there should be a looting and destruction tax on the black community.

We already have punitive geographic taxes on neighborhood dysfunction. These taxes are disproportionately paid by lower-income residents in the form of inflated insurance premiums. Auto insurance rates vary by zip code, so people who cannot afford to live in the 'right' zip code pay this tax in their insurance bill.

This tax is even a feature included in Obamacare, where health insurance premiums vary by zip code.
Auto Insurance

Type and number of auto claims made in all geographic areas has been tracked by actuaries for serious decades and becomes one of the factors that determine auto insurance premiums.

The likelihood one's car will be vandalized, stolen and/ or involved in a serious accident is greater in some areas than others.

The insured driver's age, driving record, claims history and credit score matters.

Younger drivers are involved in more accidents.

People with lousy driving records are more likely to be involved in an accident.

People with a track record of making claims are more likely to make future claims.

People with lousy credit scores tend to be involved in more accidents.

Actuaries have been tracking this stuff for serious decades. They can predict, with reasonable certainty the liklihood a future claim will be made.

Healthcare Insurance

Healthcare insurers divide most states into regions to determine premiums and have been doing so for decades. My state has 13 regions. The competitiveness of a region's healthcare market or lack thereof, is a huge driver of premiums. So is the relative health of the population within a region, based upon the number and type of claims made.

I live in the far NW portion of Cook County in a relatively affluent area, as far away as one can live from the areas of Chicago known for over the top gun violence and still be in the same county. Yet from a healthcare insurance standpoint, I live in the same region as these nasty neighborhoods, albeit 40 miles away. If I were to buy an individual plan off the exchange my base premium would be the same as the base premium paid by someone my age living in one of the roughest neighborhoods of the city.

The competitiveness, or lack thereof, of a region's healthcare market is a huge driver of premiums.

The greater Minneapolis- St Paul area has the most competitive healthcare market in the country and thus the lowest premiums. There are very wealthy communities and ghettos in this region and all else being equal premiums are the same.

I have seen nearly 70% differences in premiums for the same plan offered by the same insurer between regions.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I know someone who is a dentist and owns his own business and Obamacare makes him buy dental insurance even though he can do all his own work on his kids.
Contradicted by the Health care.gov facts.. A child must be offered dental, but you don’t have to take it.
If you have dental coverage through the Marketplace it will typically have a maximum of $700 for a child or $1,400 for a family.
Adults don’t have to be offered dental. However, many Marketplace plans offer dental as part of the plan, or as a standalone. You can’t cancel dental that is part of your plan, so keep this in mind.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
If you own a vehicle you must have auto insurance. If you're alive you must have health insurance.

If not, they'll fine and/or cage you.
All but one state mandates auto liability insurance. Despite this many drive without any insurance which is why mNy states also mandate uninsured motorist insurance. Liability insurance protects the property or people you injure when you are the cause of an accident. It does not pay a dime towards your healthcare or collision or towing expenses.

NH is the exception. It allows those who can demonstrate adequate financial resources to OOT out of liability insurance.

Proof of collision and comprehensive insurance is necessary to finance or lease a car. The lender can and will repossess the car if the so called owner allows insurance to lapse.

No shortage of ways to work around the health insurance mandate. Check the hardship box and be done with it. Best be able to prove it in the unlikely event you are audited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies