Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:07 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
The killer was a gay man who previously lived in CA. Not a good fit for your rant, huh?

I don't blame the police. I blame the judge who let him out so quickly.
It wouldn't be a good fit for my rant if that was the point I was making. But if you read my post more carefully, you would see that my focus was not on the hate crime but the failure of the local judicial system to protect the victims. Do I think it is a coincidence that this occurred in one of the most conservative cities with a reputation for racial intolerance, no I do not. This is a tradition we have observed in the past in southern states. African Americans were victims of hate crimes in the south and the local legal system showed similar apathy. This murder could have easily been prevented and should have been prevented. Mr. Jabara was as much a victim of the legal system as the murderer himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 02:26 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It wouldn't be a good fit for my rant if that was the point I was making. But if you read my post more carefully, you would see that my focus was not on the hate crime but the failure of the local judicial system to protect the victims. Do I think it is a coincidence that this occurred in one of the most conservative cities with a reputation for racial intolerance, no I do not. This is a tradition we have observed in the past in southern states. African Americans were victims of hate crimes in the south and the local legal system showed similar apathy. This murder could have easily been prevented and should have been prevented. Mr. Jabara was as much a victim of the legal system as the murderer himself.
I don't know that you can blame the city or the local judicial system for the actions of a single judge.

The prosecuting attorney argued vigorously against releasing Mr Majors, they and the police saw him as a danger to the community. One judge made the decision to release Mr Majors. The legal system had imposed a restraining order. The police responded each and every time to complaints against Mr Majors.
As we see every day in America, judges are not infallible, and they often make rulings that fly in the face of common sense. Particularly when viewed in hindsight.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:31 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Oklahoma is located in the south according to the United States Census.
The man isn't "from Oklahoma", he only moved here recently. Furthermore.... "Court records show that he was married to Stephen Anthony Schmauss in December 2014."

http://heavy.com/news/2016/08/khalid...facebook-page/

He lived in California within the last two years, had a criminal record there, and he is a homosexual. I'm not sure how this man is in any way representative of "Oklahoma".

Quote:
This is also in line with cultural norms that places Oklahoma in the south such as it's (known as Indian Territory at the time) association with the Confederacy during the U.S.
You don't know what you're talking about.

And Oklahoma associated with the Confederacy because we wanted to be an independent nation. The Confederacy promised to recognize Oklahoma as an independent nation. Oklahoma did not join the Confederacy, and the Indian tribes were not required to provide any assistance to the Confederacy at all(only to defend our own borders). But many Oklahomans did fight for the Confederacy, because the alternative would have been continued occupation and mistreatment by the union.

Quote:
Tulsa has a reputation for racial intolerance based on it's infamous race riot. They also have a large evangelical Christian presence and is recognized by the Southern Poverty Law Center for having a prominent Klu Klux Klan organization.
First, almost every state has had a major race riot. There are basically race riots going on right now, and not a single one is happening in Oklahoma.

Furthermore, you don't know much about Tulsa. The one race riot you're talking about, happened nearly a hundred years ago.

Furthermore, the KKK is active in every single state, but so are black panthers/new black panthers. So what? Both organizations are almost completely irrelevant.

The anti-defamation league puts total KKK membership nationwide at 3,000. Oklahoma represents 1/80th of the total population of the United States. Which means, on a proportional basis, Oklahoma would probably have about 35-40 KKK members. Even if we had twice that many, that is nothing compared to a population of nearly 4 million.

I can promise you, there are more people at my family reunion, than there are KKK members in Oklahoma.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-17-2016 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM

19,841 posts, read 12,102,488 times

Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
Of course this happened in Oklahoma. What a dump of a state.
Let me clue you all on a little secret. There are over 16,000 murders in America every single year. How many of them do you know about? How many of them do you care about?

It is highly unlikely a gay man from California shot this Arab because of religious or racial intolerance(if he did, why didn't he wipe out his whole family?).

This murder was most-likely just a crime of passion, just like most other murders. The two men didn't like each other, and there was probably some kind of argument, which led to one shooting the other. This kind of thing happens dozens of times every single day, all over the country.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Let me clue you all on a little secret. There are over 16,000 murders in America every single year. How many of them do you know about? How many of them do you care about?

It is highly unlikely a gay man from California shot this Arab because of religious or racial intolerance(if he did, why didn't he wipe out his whole family?).

This murder was most-likely just a crime of passion, just like most other murders. The two men didn't like each other, and there was probably some kind of argument, which led to one shooting the other. This kind of thing happens dozens of times every single day, all over the country.
cool story.

you left out the years and years of calls to authorities over countless incidents they had with this guy where they begged for authorities to intervene.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Are you saying this never happens in other states? What exactly do you think should have happened?

He was thrown in prison in California for threatening to "terrorize" Los Angeles, but they let him out.

Man accused of killing Oklahoma neighbor has criminal record in Southern California - LA Times

He came to Oklahoma, then began fighting with his new neighbors. They threw him in jail without bail from September 2015 till May 2016, after he hit the neighbor with his car. The trial for that case was due to begin in March 2017.

In May 2016, after being in jail for eight months, and likely after a petition from either Stanley Majors himself, or his family, or his lawyer, the judge relented and set bail at $30,000. But said he was not allowed to own a gun.

The only thing which could have prevented this, was if he had been completely denied bail, held in jail until after trial in 2017, and then thrown in prison. But even then, how long would he have even stayed in prison for that charge? Five years? And he would have already had nearly two years time-served by the time of sentencing.

If one of your neighbors wanted to walk to your house, knock on your door, and then when you answered, shoot you in the face, what can the government really do to stop him?

It is a normal reaction when something bad happens to say "something should have been done". But short of just keeping this man locked up for the rest of his life(which would have seemed like a huge violation of his rights), there really wasn't anything that could be done.

The man was obviously troubled. If we are going to look at hindsight, maybe he should have been kept locked-up for the rest of his life when he threatened to terrorize Los Angeles? That could have prevented all of this. But do you think life-in-prison without parole was the appropriate punishment for that crime?

Last edited by Redshadowz; 08-17-2016 at 03:43 PM..

Old 08-17-2016, 03:51 PM

This man is not an Oklahoman. He is a crazy Californian, who came to my state and started trouble.

If California wasn't going to crap, maybe your people would stay there.

Old 08-17-2016, 03:57 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,387,599 times
Unfortunately, because of the ongoing refugee crisis in Europe and the West, we're only going to see more stories like this.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
The murderer may have been a deranged man from California who is not at all representative of Oklahoma, but what about the judge who let him go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies