Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 06:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
I don't have the slightest problem shaming an adult for their vanity killing. However, there needs to be some slack cut for a twelve year old. At this stage in her life, she's still too heavily under the influence of her parents to go against the immorality they're instilling in her. On the other hand, by all means, shame her parents!

Why would anyone shame this kids parents.. I praise this father. They raised this young woman to be self sufficient and it drives those relying on government handouts to go insane with jealousy.

I taught my daughter, she can eat for weeks on .10¢. If only the impoverished could do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Fluffy? Is that you?

Hehe. Aww...*hugs*

Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,548 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Actualy it's against the law to burn a flag...

18 U.S. Code § 700 - Desecration of the flag of the United States; penalties

http://uscode.house.gov/statviewer.h...me=82&page=291

^^^Notice this is a governmental web site, because the law is not enforced, does not make it legal.
Flag burning isnt against the law.

You basically did a document search for laws on flag burning when you should have simply search for the legality of it. Your link references a U.S. code entry from 1968.

The supreme court took the issue up in 1989.

Facts and Case Summary - Texas v. Johnson | United States Courts

Quote:
Facts and Case Summary - Texas v. Johnson

Facts and case summary for Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989). Flag burning constitutes symbolic speech that is protected by the First Amendment.

Facts

Gregory Lee Johnson burned an American flag outside of the convention center where the 1984 Republican National Convention was being held in Dallas, Texas. Johnson burned the flag to protest the policies of President Ronald Reagan. He was arrested and charged with violating a Texas statute that prevented the desecration of a venerated object, including the American flag, if such action were likely to incite anger in others. A Texas court tried and convicted Johnson. He appealed, arguing that his actions were "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment. The Supreme Court agreed to hear his case.

Issue

Whether flag burning constitutes "symbolic speech" protected by the First Amendment.

Ruling

Yes.

Reasoning
(5-4)

The majority of the Court, according to Justice William Brennan, agreed with Johnson and held that flag burning constitutes a form of "symbolic speech" that is protected by the First Amendment. The majority noted that freedom of speech protects actions that society may find very offensive, but society's outrage alone is not justification for suppressing free speech.

In particular, the majority noted that the Texas law discriminated upon viewpoint, i.e., although the law punished actions, such as flag burning, that might arouse anger in others, it specifically exempted from prosecution actions that were respectful of venerated objects, e.g., burning and burying a worn-out flag. The majority said that the government could not discriminate in this manner based solely upon viewpoint.

Dissent

Justice Stevens
Writing for the dissent, Justice Stevens argued that the flag's unique status as a symbol of national unity outweighed "symbolic speech" concerns, and thus, the government could lawfully prohibit flag burning.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I guess the bleeding hearts don't realize that hunting trips like that feed the African locals.
Yep. That's why these big game hunters travel all the way to Africa to hunt: because they're concerned about the well-being of the locals.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I guess the bleeding hearts don't realize that hunting trips like that feed the African locals.
I have hunted in my youth days but a giraffe? That's sick. And pardon me but fees and fines feed the people just doesn't cut it. Ask them to get real jobs.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:33 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why would anyone shame this kids parents.. I praise this father. They raised this young woman to be self sufficient and it drives those relying on government handouts to go insane with jealousy.

I taught my daughter, she can eat for weeks on .10¢. If only the impoverished could do that.
The "impoverished"?

I have no problem with hunting if people live off the land. But how does travelling to Africa to take out a giraffe teach her self-sufficiency?

Old 08-19-2016, 08:05 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Flag burning isnt against the law.

You basically did a document search for laws on flag burning when you should have simply search for the legality of it. Your link references a U.S. code entry from 1968.

The supreme court took the issue up in 1989.

Facts and Case Summary - Texas v. Johnson | United States Courts
The law is still active as of 2012.

Quote:
Publication Title
United States Code, 2006 Edition, Supplement 5, Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE CategoryBills and Statutes CollectionUnited States Code SuDoc Class NumberY 1.2/5: Contained WithinTitle 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 33 - EMBLEMS, INSIGNIA, AND NAMES
Sec. 700 - Desecration of the flag of the United States; penalties Containssection 700 Date2011 Laws in Effect as of DateJanuary 3, 2012 Positive LawYes
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/granule/US...nt-detail.html

And if you read your own link, they charged him with a Texas law, not the federal law.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:05 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
The "impoverished"?

I have no problem with hunting if people live off the land. But how does travelling to Africa to take out a giraffe teach her self-sufficiency?
It doesn't. The items that are missing is that these people may look country, but they are far from it. They are rich as these hunts cost upwards of $25,000 depending on the animal they want to kill. The hunting areas are fenced in so it's not really a hunt. So what does she get out of it? The skins and possibly the heads. Part of the fee is to remove them a prep them to be wall hangings and carpets.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/why-...6mL#.geZnlp8wp

And fwiw I'm pro-gun ownership and have hunted in the past in the US.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:14 PM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
The "impoverished"?

Did you read the article? They did not go to Africa to "take out" a Giraffe, which is by the way a funny way to put words "take out" from a person who says they have no problem with hunting.....The "Hunting Camp" said the Giraffe was a problem....but don't let facts get n the way...

Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

The parents should be shamed for teaching their daughter to kill for no reason other than the abstract perverted pleasure of the act. Killing an animal because it's fun isn't an exercise in self-sufficiency, it is an exercise in psychopathy.

I have absolutely no idea who you are referring to by "those relying on government handouts", nor what you are suggesting in regards to people going "insane with jealousy". Neither of these concepts seem to be even peripherally related to the issue in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies