Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 06:28 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Why can't we all respect the law like the Bush Administration?
Why is that the Bush administration officials have special privileges? If they can do it, we should also be able to do it...
-if you receive a subpoena for a court appearance, you should be able to rip it up and tell them to go to hell.
-if a court orders you to submit various materials in an investigation you should be able to just say no, without any reprisals.
-if questioned by lawyers in a court you should be able to respond to all questions with "I don't know", "I don't remember", "I don't recall"...and such responses should be sufficient to the court.
-if a court orders you to provide data about your personal life you should be able to declare it a matter of "personal security" and refuse to hand over any information.
-if you are accused of assault and battery, you merely have to deny it and then redefine the concept of assault and battery to suit yourself. The court should also grant you the option of blocking any further investigation.
-if you are ever summoned to give testimony in an investigation you should be able to decline unless the testimony is not under oath.
-courts should always give each defendant enough time to alter, hide, or destroy incriminating evidence.
-you should be allowed to wire tap the communication devices of anyone you want (friends, neighbors, relatives, etc.) without disclosing which devices you are tapping.
-if anyone ever accuses you of wrong doing, just say that God personally told you it's ok, therefore it is ok.
If we all respected the law then we would discover how superfluous the courts are and maybe abolish them, thereby saving billions of tax dollars used to operate the court system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
yes we need to obey the law.
but george bush, history will not be kind to george bush.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:13 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,949 times
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true." (Bill Clinton)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why is that the Bush administration officials have special privileges? If they can do it, we should also be able to do it...
-if you receive a subpoena for a court appearance, you should be able to rip it up and tell them to go to hell.
-if a court orders you to submit various materials in an investigation you should be able to just say no, without any reprisals.
-if questioned by lawyers in a court you should be able to respond to all questions with "I don't know", "I don't remember", "I don't recall"...and such responses should be sufficient to the court.
-if a court orders you to provide data about your personal life you should be able to declare it a matter of "personal security" and refuse to hand over any information.
-if you are accused of assault and battery, you merely have to deny it and then redefine the concept of assault and battery to suit yourself. The court should also grant you the option of blocking any further investigation.
-if you are ever summoned to give testimony in an investigation you should be able to decline unless the testimony is not under oath.
-courts should always give each defendant enough time to alter, hide, or destroy incriminating evidence.
-you should be allowed to wire tap the communication devices of anyone you want (friends, neighbors, relatives, etc.) without disclosing which devices you are tapping.
-if anyone ever accuses you of wrong doing, just say that God personally told you it's ok, therefore it is ok.
If we all respected the law then we would discover how superfluous the courts are and maybe abolish them, thereby saving billions of tax dollars used to operate the court system.

I have to wait B4 you get more +; so true, and sad......

Old 02-20-2008, 08:21 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Pretty disgusting, no doubt about it....but I was looking for something more specifically "Bush Related". Except for MAYBE the last 2 or 3 items, this could describe ANY US Administration....or most any STATE administration...in the past century or so. Which is about 14 times more "clean" than most OTHER nations' administations. I'm afraid this just describes the "trappings of power". Not to excuse the PRESENT adminstration, who seem uncommonly arrogant and secretive...but I wonder if they're all that much "crookeder" than anyone else...?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:18 AM

531 posts, read 1,744,017 times
And if only 1 more state had not gone for Bush, maybe none of this would be! (In retrospect Al Gore was the lesser of the"Two evils")

Old 02-21-2008, 07:08 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,919 times
You forgot one... if your buddy gets sent to jail for doing your dirty work, you can say "sorry judge, you had your fun, but Scooter's going home now."

Quote:

Old 02-22-2008, 03:25 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Visvaldis;2892192]Why can't we all respect the law like the Bush Administration?
Bush administration? Why did you leave it at that? Do you know anything about elected leaders in NJ or LA?

No party has a lock on ethics.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:27 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true." (Bill Clinton)
If an acquaintence of mine were to state that I am not in the 10th grade, would that statement be untrue, considering that at one time, I was in the 10th grade? Would I subsequently be in a position to testify as to the state of mind and intentions of that acquaintence in having made such a statement, or would I merely be able to speculate as to what he or she might have felt, thought, or intended?

Those who love to cite this bit of testimony would enhance their own reputations for honesty by noting when they do that the question -- posed here by OIC (Starr) counsel -- is with respect to Clinton's later impressions of a statement that had been made, not by Clinton, but by one of his attorneys during one of many sidebars between Judge Wright and attorneys for both sides during the earlier Paula Jones case that Clinton at the time had not been paying any particular attention to. Clinton's reply only points out that the question itself was speculative. If the OIC had been interested in what that attorney meant by his statement, it should have asked that attorney.

By the way, the ellipsis stands in this case for the omission of a page and a half -- nearly 400 words -- of intervening testimony. Rather bad form, there...

Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Bush administration? Why did you leave it at that? Do you know anything about elected leaders in NJ or LA?

No party has a lock on ethics.
It's not about ethics. When the elected leaders in NJ or LA are, by court, ordered to hand over certain documents or other materials, what will those elected leaders do? What happens when those elected leaders are subpoenaed to testify under oath?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies