Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
The question remains though if it's legal for a security guard to pull a gun on people and demand all their money. Why not detain them and call the police?
That is what the security guards should have done.

And, the swimmers should have not have made up that story. Had they been honest from the beginning, they would have been viewed sympathetically as the guys who celebrated too hard and did somethin dumb while drunk. They really messed this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,502,952 times
I think it's still a bit premature to drop a verdict one way or the other on this one. I suspect in the end we'll discover some fault to be had from both sides. If the U.S. guys are proven to have been completely full of it from the get-go then they deserve their just reward. If it's proven that the Rio police have trumped this up in order to save face then they just need to get the guys home and be glad when it's over.

If there's video of them beating up a bathroom I want to see it no matter how stupid it makes them look. Because that's just plain hilarious.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,816,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
2 US swimmers were taken off their plane, their passports seized, and they have been detained by Brazilian police.

The swimmers tale of being robbed at gunpoint by multiple assailants appears full of holes. Security video at the club shows them leaving at a different time than claimed, and security video at the hotel shows them arriving calm and still with their wallets, watches, and cell phones. I suspect, if anything, they got ripped off by hookers (female or shemale) but can't admit it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...26d_story.html
ITA with the bold.

I initially thought it probably was a prostitute stick up and they didn't want to admit it.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,035,253 times
was this not the same two who are HOME in the USA perfectly safe with family?? what a twist of the story??

Old 08-18-2016, 10:11 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,704 times
Quote:
I want to see footage of them beating up a poor toilet! I'll gladly eat crow and laugh instead at that scene.

The question remains though if it's legal for a security guard to pull a gun on people and demand all their money. Why not detain them and call the police?

Lots and lots of questions. Rio has to be the worst place to be innocent OR guilty of a crime.
It is telling that the the Rio Police are spending resources on such an incident (or non-incident) when people are robbed and killed there every single night. My view is that the justice system in Brasil does not work and whatever the outcome, all parties involved will have only succeeded in wasting their time and resources for the sole benefit of a slight polishing of an already tarnished reputation.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:17 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
It is telling that the the Rio Police are spending resources on such an incident (or non-incident) when people are robbed and killed there every single night. My view is that the justice system in Brasil does not work and whatever the outcome, all parties involved will have only succeeded in wasting their time and resources for the sole benefit of a slight polishing of an already tarnished reputation.
The US athletes had a huge stage. If they lied about what happened, I can see how that would really tick off the Brazilian officials.

My gut feeling is that this won't turn out well for the swimmers.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:19 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
The latest reports are that the swimmers vandalized the gas station and fought with a security guard.

"Ryan Lochte fabricated a story about a gunpoint robbery earlier this week and was actually involved in a scuffle at a gas station, Brazilian police officials told the Associated Press on Thursday.

Meanwhile, Brazilian police told ABC News that there is a tape showing Lochte or one of the three U.S. swimming teammates he was with breaking down a door to a bathroom and then fighting with a security guard early Sunday morning. Police confirmed to The Times that a tape does exist and that it was being analyzed.

The gas station owner told Rio de Janeiro's O Globo newspaper that the swimmers vandalized his facility and urinated on it.

Rio police say Ryan Lochte lied about gunpoint robbery, gas station owner says swimmers vandalized his facility - LA Times

Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...3f5_story.html

Several media outlets Thursday reported the existence of a surveillance video from a Rio de Janeiro gas station Sunday morning, showing Lochte and his teammates damaging property. The Daily Mail, a British news outlet, reported — citing Brazilian police — that Lochte and the other swimmers refused to pay for the damage until a security guard waved a gun at them and demanded payment. Brazilian news outlet O Globo reported, also citing police sources, that Lochte and his teammates urinated on the gas station’s building and vandalized the property.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:24 AM

21,463 posts, read 10,564,642 times
Quote:
I think it's still a bit premature to drop a verdict one way or the other on this one. I suspect in the end we'll discover some fault to be had from both sides. If the U.S. guys are proven to have been completely full of it from the get-go then they deserve their just reward. If it's proven that the Rio police have trumped this up in order to save face then they just need to get the guys home and be glad when it's over.

If there's video of them beating up a bathroom I want to see it no matter how stupid it makes them look. Because that's just plain hilarious.
What is their just reward? Six months in a Brazilian prison? Give me a break! And yet we made sure that girl in Italy came home on her murder rap. What's wrong with people? This has somehow turned into a political issue when it shouldn't be.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You globalist, lefty spin doctors really crack me up.Trump is all about the concept of respecting sovereignty. The neocon misfits where run out of town. Its you jack booted, world da goberment, central planning, nation bilkers that welcomed them , opening your arms like a bomb bay door.
I don't think you're even aware of the irony here. If you're so enamored with the concept of respecting sovereignty, you should have no problem supporting Brazil's sovereignty and with them enforcing their laws when they've been broken, as they appear to have been in this case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies