Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 09:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,450,722 times

Advertisements

2 US swimmers were taken off their plane, their passports seized, and they have been detained by Brazilian police.

The swimmers tale of being robbed at gunpoint by multiple assailants appears full of holes. Security video at the club shows them leaving at a different time than claimed, and security video at the hotel shows them arriving calm and still with their wallets, watches, and cell phones. I suspect, if anything, they got ripped off by hookers (female or shemale) but can't admit it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...26d_story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,148,820 times
Their story does sound weak now that the official doubts are voiced. I hope the swimmers stories hold up - but for now it doesn't sound like they will.

Shame, it seems they won glory and then pooped it away with foolish lies.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 PM

30,260 posts, read 19,065,917 times
F you Brasil. We should point missiles at Sap Paulo and demand our citizens and Olympians that were robbed be released....F you Brazil.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:16 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,450,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
F you Brasil. We should point missiles at Sap Paulo and demand our citizens and Olympians that were robbed be released....F you Brazil.
Trump 2016!

https://twitter.com/joshgreenman/sta...07159952326656

Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,126,126 times
Quote:
Slow down cowboy. Lets wait for some more facts before we take it there...

Old 08-17-2016, 09:19 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,003,791 times
Their stories definitely sound fishy.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:20 PM

34,271 posts, read 19,342,755 times
Quote:
Found the Trump supporter!

Really? They did something wrong it appears, and your argument is "yee haaa! lets fight! I don't care if they dun right er wrong, they're my buddies!"

Seriously, its not just Trump that scares me, its some of his supporters.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,487,266 times
At best it is a misdemeanor. Brazil is not holding them hostage. Merely want to know if their story is fabricated. Perfectly reasonable at this point.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:25 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,084,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
2 US swimmers were taken off their plane, their passports seized, and they have been detained by Brazilian police.

The swimmers tale of being robbed at gunpoint by multiple assailants appears full of holes. Security video at the club shows them leaving at a different time than claimed, and security video at the hotel shows them arriving calm and still with their wallets, watches, and cell phones. I suspect, if anything, they got ripped off by hookers (female or shemale) but can't admit it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...26d_story.html
That wouldn't be out of the ordinary in South America. Just because they're American doesn't mean they can do as they please. There isn't anything out of the ordinary with what Brazil is doing. The U.S. would do the same thing to a foreign tourist.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 PM

21,452 posts, read 10,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Found the Trump supporter!

Really? They did something wrong it appears, and your argument is "yee haaa! lets fight! I don't care if they dun right er wrong, they're my buddies!"

Seriously, its not just Trump that scares me, its some of his supporters.
You scare me more. You actually think it's appropriate to not let our athletes leave because they may have mislead on how they were robbed? Whether they were robbed by men flashing a badge or at a brothel, they were still robbed. Brazil did not have to detain them and make a big stink about it. They could have questioned them for a few minutes and let them go on their way. They have no right to detain them. The fact that you think it's just hunky dory for our people to be held by a third world country for nothing is a little scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies