Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 02:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The government already buys land and builds, they are called HUD apartments.

??? ??? In Portland there is a local developer who is successfully building affordable apartments for half the per-unit build cost of public housing.

http://homefirstdev.com/about.html

Old 08-18-2016, 02:20 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,116,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Wrong. Reducing demand for rentals will reduce rents. There are million of immigrants and illegals in the US.
Well, kick out the immigrants and your housing value will also plummet. I would prefer more supply.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Your comment held true ONLY UNTIL RECENTLY. Its fine if the working classes are priced out to the fringes in San Fran, or NYC, or Boston, a few select cities. The problem is that people are now getting priced out of cities like Jacksonville, Louisville, even Texas cities for goodness sakes. It is a NATIONWIDE CRISIS. And it is because of NO SUPPLY. Tell me, where would have you have the working class millions flock to for affordable rent? There are few places left. Only a few cities in the Midwest it looks like.

Again you keep harping on supply. Supply is NOT always the cause of rising prices, nor will supply solve the problem in every case.

You pointed to the apartments near you that were built in the 1980s as what we need more supply of. OK, but do you think that the cost of land, building permits, construction materials and labor are the same as the 80s? Nope and neither are building codes all of which drive up the cost of the finished product and the cost of the rent. Developers and landlords are going to charge the MARKET rent in any area. Unless you can prove that people are living on the streets because there are no rentals available at any price, supply isn't the problem. The price of rents is and that's a very different problem than supply.

IMO, the issue isn't even the rising rents, but the stagnation of wages. If wages were rising as well, the increase in rent would not be an issue. But, they're not and have not been for 40+ years. Building new apartments isn't going to solve that one.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:23 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
And we need more of them. They aren't building anywhere near enough. But the government should build housing that doesn't accept section 8. Currently if the government builds a housing community they make it section 8, which you can only get with dependents.
You realize generally that low cost housing comes with more crime right?
You do realize that the reason why many military families don't live in military housing is because it's not well taken care very well of right? (which is it government housing on federal land) Also you can get more bang for your buck off post/base.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I want the government to back off and allow property owners to build crappy cheap housing because there is demand for it. Let's see you argue against that without looking classist.
I don't care if I look classist, I worked to get out of the slums, and don't want the slums moving in next door to my house. If you want to live in a slum village, then move to South America or some Appalachian boonie town.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
LOL, with rents up too high as you would suggest building more rentals is the way they would line their pockets. Here's a suggestion, go buy a house in one of these areas and rent it, problem solved for you because now you will be lining your pockets.

??? ??? HowTF do people buy houses when rent consumes half their income?

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't care if I look classist, I worked to get out of the slums, and don't want the slums moving in next door to my house. If you want to live in a slum village, then move to South America or some Appalachian boonie town.

What right do you have to impose your standards on other property owners? If you don't want slums moving in next door, go buy up the neighborhood and set your own standards or else leave other property owners alone.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
And we need more of them. They aren't building anywhere near enough. But the government should build housing that doesn't accept section 8. Currently if the government builds a housing community they make it section 8, which you can only get with dependents.
Why is it the governments job to provide housing for you in a desirable area at the cost you want to pay? If you were truly needy that is a different story, but you aren't even attempting to change your situation. People have offered ideas to help you out and you continue to balk at all of them.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Well, kick out the immigrants and your housing value will also plummet. I would prefer more supply.
Single family home values won't be affected by kicking out the illegals. Legal immigrants can stay with a reduced flow in the future.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? ??? In Portland there is a local developer who is successfully building affordable apartments for half the per-unit build cost of public housing.

About Home First Development
Ok. Then move to Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies