Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 03:26 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,253,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Moving to a middle of nowhere place will get you cheaper rent and a long streak of unemployment. Cities are where jobs are. What I do you can't do in a rural area. So rural living isn't an option.
But you're presenting a false dichotomy -- you either live in a city (where it's expensive) or in the middle of nowhere (where there's no job). There is lots in-between.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:28 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,106,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
If that builder wanted to do that, wouldn't they be doing that?
Exactly, THEY AREN'T BUILDING AFFORDABLE UNITS, even though the demand is clearly there shown by rents going up 10% or more every year. That is why we need more government intervention. Either give the builders incentives to build affordable multi-family housing or the government needs to be the ones that start building. We need to start talking to politicians about this because the rental market needs to be tamed. What a 1-bedroom cost to today in almost ALL METROS across the country is double what people paid even in the late 90s and increasing more and more and more each year because of lack of supply. Paying more than $1,000 a month for rent in cities like Tampa, Nashville, Milwaukee, San Antonio would have had mouths dropping even a decade ago. Rents are now $1,200 or higher is cities like Denver and Minneapolis.

Rents not being affordable isn't a Boston, DC, San Fran thing anymore. It is ravaging every single metro across our country with the exception of a FEW rust belt locations in the midwest.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:30 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Sorry that you can't do better than a burger flipping job, but even my son can afford rent on a fast food income WHILE attending college. Maybe if you work real hard one day you will find out what property values mean to ones assets. I didn't spend my life working to better my situation so that someone else can come in and wreck the value of my assets.

Got financial aid?

I work hard and my co-workers work hard and we have zero property to show for it.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,253,325 times
Quote:
That is why we need more government intervention. Either give the builders incentives to build affordable multi-family housing or the government needs to be the ones that start building.
Ick. So you want to use taxpayer money to meddle in the market, to throw around big dollars to try and artificially influence business decisions?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:34 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,905,326 times
This is about a perceived but wrong thinking about rights.

You don't have a right to a house or an apartment, you have a right to the opportunity to get one.

You don't have a right to live where you want, yiu have an opportunity to figure out the means to afford it.

The price it costs to afford housing is never a problem. You are the problem getting in the way of earning enough money to afford it.

When people stop looking at what it costs to obtain something and realize it is they who are the problem and not the prices, things look quite different.

This idea that someone else always needs to fix something so you can afford it is just what liberals want, for you to be dependent upon them. That makes you a slave to their whims, their desires and all they ever ask of you is to ask them for everything...

Your food
Your clothing
Your education
Your phone
Your transportation

And your housing.

Just ask the liberal politician to make it easier for you to affird the housing, after all, it isn't your fault you don't make enough money to afford it right?

Wrong, it is your fault you can't afford better housing.

This does not apply to those physically unable to work or those with mental issues (no, not your educatuon, that YOU can fix yourself).

Get off the couch, out down that stupid cell phone, laptop or tablet , get the heck off CD and make something of yourself.

The only right you really have is to make yourself better, everything else takes money.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:37 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,142,517 times
Quote:
Oh yeah. Post one. Remember to that the face rental price is but one piece of actually cost. You also have fees associated with rent, water, electric isn't included, as well as rental insurance. Whatever you see for the cost of rent you actually need to add about $200 additional things to it that people either can't rent or can't live without.
Centro Place Apts Rentals - Tampa, FL | Apartments.com

Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,106,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

You don't have a right to a house or an apartment, you have a right to the opportunity to get one.

You don't have a right to live where you want, yiu have an opportunity to figure out the means to afford it.

The price it costs to afford housing is never a problem. You are the problem getting in the way of earning enough money to afford it.

When people stop looking at what it costs to obtain something and realize it is they who are the problem and not the prices, things look quite different.

This idea that someone else always needs to fix something so you can afford it is just what liberals want, for you to be dependent upon them. That makes you a slave to their whims, their desires and all they ever ask of you is to ask them for everything...

Your food
Your clothing
Your education
Your phone
Your transportation

And your housing.

Just ask the liberal politician to make it easier for you to affird the housing, after all, it isn't your fault you don't make enough money to afford it right?

This does not apply to those physically unable to work or those with mental issues (no, not your educatuon, that YOU can fix yourself).

Get off the couch, out down that stupid cell phone, laptop or tablet , get the heck off CD and make something of yourself.

The only right you really have is to make yourself better, everything else takes money.
Or we can increase the supply. Problem solved. We need more multi-family housing supply.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:42 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,142,517 times
Quote:
Moving to a middle of nowhere place will get you cheaper rent and a long streak of unemployment. Cities are where jobs are. What I do you can't do in a rural area. So rural living isn't an option.
My "rural area" has lots of jobs in banking, IT, manufacturing, tourism, food service, night club related jobs, radio, even movie production jobs.

What do you do that you can't do in a smallish town?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,353,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Your food
Your clothing
Your education
Your phone
Your transportation

And your housing.

Do you have a right to enter into a contract for housing with a willing property owner?

Why is it my fault I can't afford better housing? Why is it not government's fault for making housing unaffordable by not enforcing our borders and allowing millions of people into the country unlawfully?

Why is it not government's fault for not allowing property owners to rent me cheap crappy housing I can afford?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:43 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,778,014 times
Quote:
Or we can increase the supply. Problem solved. We need more multi-family housing supply.
Once again, increasing supply does not always help. It can actually hurt those who do sell or decide to rent their homes. We owned and rented in a area where the market is OVERSATURATED and it makes it suck when you want to sell or rent your home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies