Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 03:49 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Who is "we"? You've already said you don't want to build any additional rental units, and neither do I, and apparently neither do the builders.
We can have the government do it. By giving incentives to the builders or to just build them using tax dollars. Something needs to be done.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What use is your "rural area" to people who do not own a car?
Maybe the government should start building cars too, so they can sell them to you for nothing.

Put on your big boy pants, and work for what you want.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You moved the goal posts as you specifically said $1,000 rent for 1 bedroom apartment...you may need to move it more.

I can find plenty of $800 a month rents in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh, PA Apartments for Rent - 99 Rentals | Rent.com®

and Philly...

Philadelphia, PA Apartments for Rent - 190 Rentals | Rent.com®

and Cincy...

Cincinnati, OH Apartments for Rent - 229 Rentals | Rent.com®

and Dallas...

Dallas, TX Apartments for Rent - 298 Rentals | Rent.com®

etc....

Plus Craig's list is full of hidden gems
No, its not. That you are quoting these advertisements shows that you actually haven't been searching for an apartment in a long time. None of those prices you quoted are real. Absolutely none of them. You go into the place asking about the quote and it WILL be much different. Every company has a marketing scheme to get the potential renter into the building.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Need? Then go out and build a house. Other people did it, you can't?

What you mean to say is you can't figure it out. That is your problem.

There's this little thing called zoning which gets in my way.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Maybe the government should start building cars too, so they can sell them to you for nothing.

Put on your big boy pants, and work for what you want.
Government already helps a lot with public transportation. Cars aren't needed. Transportation is. The government helps a lot with that need.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:54 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Or we can increase the supply. Problem solved. We need more multi-family housing supply.
Wow... one-track mind.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:55 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
The fact that you seemed aghast at the idea of looking at and moving to a less expensive part of the country, a 'middle of nowhere' type place. It strikes me as a little condescending. I don't know, maybe I'm misreading you.

I've seen this attitude in a few friends and acquaintances, extended family, some of my girlfriend's family -- this complaining about how much things cost while insisting that the ONLY place that's worthy is a cosmopolitan city with all the amenities. The attitude exists, maybe I'm wrong about you having it.
I think part of the problem is the re-urbanization of America. Younger people and Millennials all seem to want to live in cities ... not the small towns. Here in Pennsylvania rents are cheap in places like Towanda or Altoona ... but almost no one wants to live there: they want to live right near downtown Pittsburgh or center city Philadelphia. They want to live within a 15 minute walk of the artisan brew pub, the Thai restaurant, the Starbucks, and the sushi bar. They want to live in a place with nightlife, an Apple store, a major sports team, and lots of decent shopping.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:56 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Floor Plans of Centro Place Apts in Tampa, FL

That place is $780 a month. And I PROMISE YOU, that price quoted is a lie. I know, because I have done that same thing with a dozen rentals so far. You go in and the price per month finally quoted is closer to $900-1000. You go in and they say "oh, our rates haven't been updated. Its a little higher now", plus the fees attached and the price goes up way high. A place I went to last week that put a price of $650 on their website ended up being $850 when it came down to putting a signature anywhere. That $850 price was in a middle class suburb of Jacksonville, FL. I scouted out that city recently looking for cheaper rent because I had a job offer.

And the low end scale they quote on their website is no doubt a marketing scheme to get potential renters to come into the complex.
Oh dear lord, you ask for an example, and then poo poo it. You want cheap rent, but aren't willing to go where the rent is cheap, you want want want.

If you want something you do what is necessary to get it, you don't sit there whining and wanting someone else to give it to you.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Nope, he is now paying his own way. He works fast food, pays his bills and pays for college. If he can do it, why can't you?

I did that, paying out-of-state rates, took seven years taking classes part time and working multiple min wage jobs. By the time I graduated, law school had become too expensive and without a law degree my liberal arts degree was worthless.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
There should be urban growth boundaries, IMO, but local governments need to start building up. It's unsustainable to keep building out. World population is increasing, but we keep on using up arable land for sprawl. The solution is there, local governments just need to grow a set of balls and tell the NIMBYs to sit in the back of the bus
No chance that US is going to run out of land. Entire states are mostly rural.

Local governments open to creating affordable housing look to the federal government for a handout because the local tax base has no interest in footing the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies