Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 06:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
AND! Where would those people live if the government didn't provide that housing to them! Would you prefer them to live on the street? Those people have roofs and toilets because of our government providing it to them, and you ridicule it. Tell me!!!! What would you have these people do if not for their government housing????
Why don't you say it like you really mean it, you just want other people to pay for the housing or have you no recollection of what the government is?

That couple down the street working hard, paying their rent or mortgage, paying their car and insurance payments, saving for their kids education, paying the grocery bill and paying their taxes...

You want them to also pay for some multi-home for others who can't figure life out.

That is who funds the government so look them in the eye as they leave the food store or come home after work and greet them with hands out. That, in case those with their hands out have forgotten, they are who funds the government

Old 08-19-2016, 06:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
There is an easy solution. Take out a loan, buy some property and build some multi-family buildings. Then rent them at what you feel is an affordable rate. Be part of the solution. Instead of whining about your perception of a problem.

or better still, start their OWN sovereign nation and make their own policies!! That would be the most practical, and easiest solution!!

Old 08-19-2016, 06:38 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then move to a more affordable part of the country.
Like I said not all areas will be feasible for your needs. I would love to have a waterfront home, but I can't afford to live at the lake, so I rented, and bought, where I can afford to live.

In my area, you can have a nice apartment for $600 a month. Heck, you can rent a house for less than $1000 a month.
I tried that, as did my brother, yes it was cheaper, but let;s not forget wages are less too. It's all relative. I doubt that even in the perfect US, that there's an area with low COL and high salaries. I suppose though the OP could start his own business there Unless the OP is one of those CD superstars that's so "in demand" that they can earn seven figures just for breathing

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I tried that, as did my brother, yes it was cheaper, but let;s not forget wages are less too. It's all relative. I doubt that even in the perfect US, that there's an area with low COL and high salaries. I suppose though the OP could start his own business there Unless the OP is one of those CD superstars that's so "in demand" that they can earn seven figures just for breathing
Funny, we did it and now make enough that I don't work outside of the house. Yep single income, bought a house, and doing fine.
But hey, what do I know?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Our rental market crisis began with REAGAN. I won't even get into all the other messes that have their roots in that man's presidency.

Single-Family and Multifamily Starts: Long-Run Trends | Eye On Housing

Read the chart and watch where multi-family housing starts plummet.

No one has proven anything. They post zillow and apartment.com listings which are straight up LIES. I'm having to barter their lies this whole month while apartment shopping. Believe me, I fell for those adds too. You go in and the actual prices are far different. So no, no one has proven anything except their own ability to fall for online advertisements.
Guess I don't know what I'm talking about even though I lived during the time...watched my parents work hours upon hours and at times multiple jobs to make sure my sister and I were provided for. I forgot...you know it all.
Oh zillow, hot pads, redfin (in some places) are great places to look for a place to rent. Guess it was false advertising that we payed the rent for the house we rented from zillow at what it was advertised for....oh the false advertisement.

Good luck.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:18 PM

Apparently, the fact that most people manage their lifestyles and jobs and such things and figure out how to afford a place to call grinds to no end.

That is life, some win, some lose and some will always lose.

Try reading the US Consitution. While some are busy pouring untold billions into pot farms the working must be targeted for the next handout grab.

You have the right to the pursuit of happiness not any guarantee of it. You have no right to a home and no one should have to provide you with one or one at a price you want, period.

Why not go ask the pot farmers for a housing assistance program? They seem to have such a vast surplus of money they don't know what to do with it. Surely they must see the plight that communal multi-dwelling homes would solve, not to mention providing them with high density customer locations.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:36 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Apparently, the fact that most people manage their lifestyles and jobs and such things and figure out how to afford a place to call grinds to no end.
Housing has increased in cost relative to wages. This is true whether you make $25,000 or $500,000 / year.

A high-income person 30 years ago could afford far more house than a similarly high-income person today.

A medium-income person 30 years ago could afford far more house than a similarly medium-income person today.

A low-income person 30 years ago could afford far more house than a similarly low-income person today.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:40 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Why don't you say it like you really mean it, you just want other people to pay for the housing or have you no recollection of what the government is?

That couple down the street working hard, paying their rent or mortgage, paying their car and insurance payments, saving for their kids education, paying the grocery bill and paying their taxes...

You want them to also pay for some multi-home for others who can't figure life out.

That is who funds the government so look them in the eye as they leave the food store or come home after work and greet them with hands out. That, in case those with their hands out have forgotten, they are who funds the government

As a renter, his tax dollars (federal, state, and local) have been subsidizing owner-occupied housing as long as he has earned taxable income, so why shouldn't he cash in on the government subsidy wagon train for a change?

Got mortgage interest deduction?
Got property tax deduction?
Got state/local homestead exemption?
Got state/local property tax cap? (e.g. Prop 13)
Got primary residence capital gain exclusion?

Old 08-19-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Housing has increased in cost relative to wages. This is true whether you make $25,000 or $500,000 / year.

A high-income person 30 years ago could afford far more house than a similarly high-income person today.

A medium-income person 30 years ago could afford far more house than a similarly medium-income person today.

A low-income person 30 years ago could afford far more house than a similarly low-income person today.
So what? Food prices have gone up to and gas prices go up and down 100% .

Affording far more house. Where is the guarantee that housing prices must no go higher than wages?

News flash, people used to live in smaller homes too.

Old 08-19-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
As a renter, his tax dollars (federal, state, and local) have been subsidizing owner-occupied housing as long as he has earned taxable income, so why shouldn't he cash in on the government subsidy wagon train for a change?

Got mortgage interest deduction?
Got property tax deduction?
Got state/local homestead exemption?
Got state/local property tax cap? (e.g. Prop 13)
Got primary residence capital gain exclusion?
I replied just to bring your comments to the forefront so everyone can see it too.

The Subsidy wagon train. No one has said it better nor illustrated the real problem, freeloaders, beggars and the lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies