Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 05:19 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

Advertisements

Do you have a white collar job? Do you care that blue collar jobs in the US are disappearing with companies that move jobs overseas or that workers in the service industries are losing their jobs to illegals?

I really want to know that if you and your spouse (if married), are college educated and have white collar jobs, then you care whether blue collar workers are losing their jobs or is it mostly a "can't see it from my house" issue for you and your family? Where does it rank on your "issues important to me" list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 05:24 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
This has been going on for decades. There are still plenty of blue collar jobs. Plus most kids these days go to college and don't want blue collar jobs grandpa.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM

1,050 posts, read 505,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you have a white collar job? Do you care that blue collar jobs in the US are disappearing with companies that move jobs overseas or that workers in the service industries are losing their jobs to illegals?

I really want to know that if you and your spouse (if married), are college educated and have white collar jobs, then you care whether blue collar workers are losing their jobs or is it mostly a "can't see it from my house" issue for you and your family? Where does it rank on your "issues important to me" list?
It's a question of class stand. I am a retired business software developer and my wife installed and managed software systems for city schools and taught administrators how to use them. So we were both white collar workers, and we both have always stood on the side of workers of every collar as a class.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
I retired from a steel mill that had 3,200 employees when I started in 1972. Today they have 600 putting out the same tonnage. This is the world we live in. Automakers use robots that cost $21,000 and they throw them away after 3 years and buy new. The future isn`t bright.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This has been going on for decades. There are still plenty of blue collar jobs. Plus most kids these days go to college and don't want blue collar jobs grandpa.

Just because it has been going on for years doesn't make it right. There are many kids that can't afford to go to college and would rather have a job in the trades aka blue-collared jobs. They use to pay a decent wage to. So can we put you on the list as one who doesn't care?

Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Big government and OVER regulation and taxation are driving manufacturing and even farms out of business or out of country.
Minimum wage going to $15 won't justify continued existance in some cases and makes expansion unaffordable.
Your banks savings are going to be cut in half due to wage hike inflation.
Blue collar, white collar or dog collar; it's all going to get worse from Clinton/Obamanomics.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
I'm college educated working in the construction management field. If my guys are out of a job, chances are I would be too.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:39 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
I'm college educated working in the construction management field. If my guys are out of a job, chances are I would be too.
Some commercial construction is going still.
Some all cash visitors building or rebuilding as well, but we are at a 45 year old low for home ownership.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:22 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Liberals don't care about dumb jobs. Neither do "real" republicans.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
If you are in a job for a year and haven't taken the time to review the prospects for the industry you are in and the company you work for, shame on you.

It is rare that any company goes from great to out of business overnight. There are always ways to tell.

Unions though, will say different and convince their members to hang in there. It never works. Union leaders though usually seem to come out ok. Strange how that works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies