U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2016, 07:48 AM
 
14,756 posts, read 7,217,813 times
Reputation: 5646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
2 part response:

#1 Women have been kept out of positions of power historically, so you will see less women accomplishing things from a historical perspective.

#2 Men are more likely to be geniuses than women. Women actually have a slightly higher average IQ by a hair, because men are also more likely to have below average IQs. This is because all genes discovered related to IQ are on the X chromosome. Since women have 2 X chromosomes their IQ gets averaged towards the middle and have a back up if there is a defect on one. Men have greater variation only having 1 X and no back up if there is damage to one.

However, in every society, extremely high IQs are more likely to find success. There are both men and women with extremely high IQs, there are just statistically more men of extremely high IQs.

Cue the science deniers.

Men are both dumber and smarter than women
P.S. For the same reason (X Chromosome being linked to IQ) that men are more likely to have very high IQs, it is the same reason why men have the most cognition issues.

Men comprise about 70% of special education cases in our public schools and are less likely to graduate high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2016, 08:21 AM
 
1,826 posts, read 883,327 times
Reputation: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdlord View Post
Men and women are not wired the same. Evolution dictates that a woman take the safest approach to life in order to protect and nurture offspring long term. Men are programmed to take as much risk as possible in order to impregnate the highest number of females possible.

This raises an interesting point. In today's society we actively fight against our evolutionary hardwiring. A "strong woman" is seen as a woman who acts like a man and rejects her more feminine and nurturing instincts. We consider a well adjusted, modern man as someone who rejects or suppresses his masculine instincts to get in touch with his "feminine side".

If a woman earns more, often she will work and the man will stay home and care for the kids. Regardless of the fact that a woman would be naturally and instinctively better at child care than a man would. That's not an insult and it's certainly not true in ALL cases, but in the majority of them, it is.

Our differences complement each other. Why fight against them? Why treat a woman as a failure if she is inclined to be a mother and care for her kids at home?

We may THINK we've evolved beyond this or we are more "enlightened" nowadays but these hardwired instincts still inform everything we do, many times subconsciously.

It's why women are often attracted to jerks and why men are attracted to youth and beauty and often turned off by aggressive women who act like men.

This programming is thousands and thousands of years old. It isn't going to be overwritten in less than a hundred years. We can TRY but it ends up coming out sideways anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Baker City, Oregon
3,142 posts, read 5,060,233 times
Reputation: 4458
Statistics, not sexism:

IQ of 145, men outnumber women by 8 to one.

IQ of 170, men outnumber women by 40 to one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Concord NC
1,403 posts, read 679,858 times
Reputation: 3640
What does it matter who produces, as long as it gets produced? I like both Apple computers and apple pie; I really don't care what sex is responsible for either of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
13,437 posts, read 5,321,864 times
Reputation: 7015
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Statistics, not sexism:

IQ of 145, men outnumber women by 8 to one.

IQ of 170, men outnumber women by 40 to one.
Citation please. Because I don't think these numbers are statistics either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 AM
 
4,491 posts, read 1,134,659 times
Reputation: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
This is a controversial subject. It seems like, when you look at the top achievers in society, men dominate. It pains me to say it, but I can't find any example of truly innovative females. Where are the female Steve Jobs, Shakespeares, etc. ?
You clearly made this without so much as a Google search to confirm this was the case. It's not hard at all to find women who excelled in science or the arts if you take a look. It's true that often we focus on the accomplishments of men, but this does not mean there aren't accomplishments of women.

So, to make my point abundantly clear, if you can't find examples of innovative women, it's because you couldn't be bothered to actually look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Texas
40,999 posts, read 45,244,605 times
Reputation: 63103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Citation please. Because I don't think these numbers are statistics either.
I don't know if that exact statistic that he was saying is true, but it is true that you will see more men on the high and low end of intelligence and you'll see more women clustering towards the middle with more women than men in the middle high area.

Nature rolls the dice on men and takes them more so to one extreme or the other.

That being said, I think that the dearth of accomplishments on behalf of women is more likely due to their historical role of property/ second-class citizens and lack of power/opportunity than anything else.

In the future, we will hear many accomplishments from both sexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Texas
40,999 posts, read 45,244,605 times
Reputation: 63103
I graduated high school in 1993.
In my class of 1300 people.

I was good friends with two people:

There was a fellow who was clearly a genius. Probably also had an eidetic memory. Everybody knew about him, knew him, etc. He took college courses from the 11th grade on, esp math.
He graduated ~16th in our class.

Our valedictorian was a girl. Took all the same college classes with this guy. Also all the AP/honors courses he did. Obviously did better, bc her GPA was better.

Both of them also did math competition, were on AcDec, etc. He went to Duke, she went to Harvard...their first choice schools.

No one ever talked about her being a genius. No one ever talked about her accomplishments at all. Not till graduation.

I never thought about it till today. But it was like she was silently racking up awards, scholarships, accolades, but it was just never talked about. Not like his. Even at our 10 year reunion, people asked me about him. Not her.

How much more of that has gone on in history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 10:46 AM
 
28,150 posts, read 11,973,799 times
Reputation: 6430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguars010 View Post
female steve job: oprah
female shakespeare: may angelou
"female steve job: oprah'

Really?
You are gong to compare what Job's did with what Oprah, nothing but an entertainer, and has done?

I forgot, Oprah is BLACK.

Opah to the CEO of a large successful chicken entreprise while she was just a local "news" caster, "What do you say to people who say you look like a chicken?"

His answer, "What do you say to people who say you look like monkey?"

The next day she was shipped of the Westinghouse Broadcasting HQ's in Chicago.

And you prove, AGAIN, NOTHING is important to you but RACE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2016, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Texas
19,792 posts, read 8,041,395 times
Reputation: 4331
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
This is a controversial subject. It seems like, when you look at the top achievers in society, men dominate. It pains me to say it, but I can't find any example of truly innovative females. Where are the female Steve Jobs, Shakespeares, etc. ?
Taking a back seat to the female Teslas. As they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top