Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 01:55 PM

1,050 posts, read 503,818 times

Advertisements

This will anger some people...

"Chile awarded a contract to sell solar power for $29.10 per megawatt hour (MWh), the lowest ever across the planet. This surpasses the record set in May of a $29.90 per MWh bid in Dubai for an 800 megawatt (MW) solar project.

'This is the lowest price ever seen, for any renewable technology,' an analyst told Bloomberg. The low price is possible due to the rapid fall in cost of solar technology and the 12 MW solar plant's location in the ideal conditions of Chile's Atacama Desert."

Solar Cost Hits World's New Low, Half the Price of Coal - EcoWatch

Give it time. Technology continues to advance to great benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 02:22 PM

20,419 posts, read 12,338,684 times
why would anyone be angered by the idea of less expensive clean energy?

That's just an insane idea. As a conservative, I get excited to see an industry working diligently to create something that can be both disruptive and lifestyle improving for regular folk.

As a conservative it makes me very happy to see clean energy building its own momentum. What I don't want to see, and what makes me very unhappy is when our federal government starts picking winners and losers and driving a stake thru the heart of market forces.

Solar seems to be on a path cutting costs by about 14% per year for the last 7 or 8 years. it remains to be seen if this is because of falling commodities prices or other forces that aren't as impacted by that?

It is clear that we are getting better at Solar, we are getting smarter about production. But are we creating disruptive technology that will change solar dramatically? it seems the answer to that last question is that there are some things taking place that are clearly exciting. but we aren't there yet.

I am hoping for major advances in Solar, wind and even petrol produced via organic processes. we shall see...

THIS conservative is excited. not angery.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:24 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,917,839 times
Belongs in the green living forum.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:34 PM

34,620 posts, read 21,540,819 times
I can't wait for cheap solar power than can compete with carbon based solutions.

I price solar for my home every few years hoping it can be financially viable, but so far, that isn't the case.

Out of curiosity, is that solar project panel based or focusing mirror based?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Bah, what is cost per Mgwhr from the Mojave Desert solar array?

Old 08-22-2016, 02:39 PM

52,529 posts, read 34,259,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I can't wait for cheap solar power than can compete with carbon based solutions.

I price solar for my home every few years hoping it can be financially viable, but so far, that isn't the case.

Out of curiosity, is that solar project panel based or focusing mirror based?
photovoltaic.

Chile Producing So Much Solar Energy It

Old 08-22-2016, 02:49 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,991,284 times
Thumbs up The world is more than ready for Solar and other alternative energy sources ... The Natural World would without doubt ap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post

"Chile awarded a contract to sell solar power for $29.10 per megawatt hour (MWh), the lowest ever across the planet. This surpasses the record set in May of a $29.90 per MWh bid in Dubai for an 800 megawatt (MW) solar project.

'This is the lowest price ever seen, for any renewable technology,' an analyst told Bloomberg. The low price is possible due to the rapid fall in cost of solar technology and the 12 MW solar plant's location in the ideal conditions of Chile's Atacama Desert."

Thank goodness Solar power is gaining a solid toehold in the cheaper and heaven knows much cleaner energy source market.
... At this point I am in support of energy efficient methodology that functions reliably and does not inflict further damage to the already nightmarish deforestation of woodland trees and horrific pollution of our water and air ! ... The habitat destruction and unbelievable decimation of oxygen producing trees including the lack of effective forest cover to keep the earth cooler rather that the temps going up is an issue of grave concern for everyone of us living on this very small planet in space !!! ... Old Sgt. Lamar said so ...

Old 08-22-2016, 03:09 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
Thank goodness Solar power is gaining a solid toehold in the cheaper and heaven knows much cleaner energy source market.
... At this point I am in support of energy efficient methodology that functions reliably and does not inflict further damage to the already nightmarish deforestation of woodland trees and horrific pollution of our water and air ! ... The habitat destruction and unbelievable decimation of oxygen producing trees including the lack of effective forest cover to keep the earth cooler rather that the temps going up is an issue of grave concern for everyone of us living on this very small planet in space !!! ... Old Sgt. Lamar said so ...
Uh huh the footprint and land that those mirrors take is meaningless, right?

Old 08-22-2016, 03:34 PM

38,625 posts, read 26,307,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post

Great!

Now all we have to do is duplicate the conditions of the Atacama Desert in places where people use electricity.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:42 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
i hope solar power continues to become more cost effective. i also hope that solar panels continue to be come more efficient at producing electricity as well. perhaps one day it will compete with other forms of energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies