Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 04:26 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Agree LBJ was no angel although he did work with the leaders of the Civil Rights movement to get first the CRA of 1964 passed. Then working together again, making principled compromises, to pass the Voting Rights Act of 1965. & then again to pass the Fair Housing Act of 1968.

He understood the opponents of these CRAs, let's face it, they were his fellow Southerners. He knew the racism & racial supremacy from the inside, after all, he was raised in that environment. If JFK had lived, he would have tried to accomplish the same. We'll never know.

Also agree that injustice anywhere or targeting anyone is a threat to justice everywhere & for all of us.

Ron & Rand Paul (& others) are not your friend or mine. Anyone who talks that 'I would've opposed the CRA of 1964' is not to be trusted as far as I'm concerned. The convoluted justifications are 'speaking with forked tongue' talk in my book.

I don't understand the South, I don't understand southerners or southern culture, and I don't understand the relationship black Americans native to the South have with the South.

Which leads me to suspect that no Northerner could have navigated all that legislation through the mid-60s Congress full of Southern Democrat roadblocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 04:36 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post

Yes I agree to a point for the south. I was just speaking in today's terms of how poor, white and southerners view today's Democrats and why they don't vote Democrat.

But before LBJ and the CRA, blacks voted Republican. So it was a political plan to take this group away from the Republicans.

That's why I said the CRA and LBJ was really about bringing blacks into the Democrat party to form a majority coalition against socially conservative whites.
Whether or not this is true, this is the way I see it. I gain something from the CRA. I would have ever reason to support it. Maybe if Goldwater had supported it, Blacks would have stayed Republicans.

And speaking in today's terms, this is what I know. I have what I need. A job, a safe neighborhood, a college education. As for schools, well, I can deal with that when I have kids. I'm single, so schools are not the biggest concern of mine. My concern is that I keep what I have, and that we don't revert back to the Jim Crow days.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I don't understand the South, I don't understand southerners or southern culture, and I don't understand the relationship black Americans native to the South have with the South.

Which leads me to suspect that no Northerner could have navigated all that legislation through the mid-60s Congress full of Southern Democrat roadblocks.
Well, this is how I understand racism. Racism is about power. Yes, it is someone thinking that one race is inferior to another, and treating said persons according to that. Because of that, there is something else to consider.

Back to the racism being about power. It is a power thing. Racism in the South is about a power struggle. The racial hierarchy had been established during slavery. The South ran on the slave economy. That economy was destroyed in the Civil War, and with the abolition of slavery.

This racial hierarchy was not meant to benefit Blacks. it was about keeping the power among one group. It was about maintaining a racial hierarchy. The idea being "we can't enslave them, but we will keep them in their place. We can't let them compete with us".

In short, it is about control and power. It is about a way of life that was meant to keep other down in order to maintain power.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:54 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Whether or not this is true, this is the way I see it. I gain something from the CRA. I would have ever reason to support it. Maybe if Goldwater had supported it, Blacks would have stayed Republicans.
It's all about you and your race. That's racism. Anyway, almost no Republicans today are against the CRA, most of them supported it back in 1964. Blacks will not be in the Republican party because they seek politics that will disfavor whites even if those policies don't advantage blacks. I think you like the Democrats because they demonize whites and tell you they're going to make blacks superior. Republicans mostly just want a level playing field and for people to succeed and fail based on their own merit and initiative.

Quote:
And speaking in today's terms, this is what I know. I have what I need. A job, a safe neighborhood, a college education. As for schools, well, I can deal with that when I have kids. I'm single, so schools are not the biggest concern of mine. My concern is that I keep what I have, and that we don't revert back to the Jim Crow days.
So it's all about you. You wouldn't have all those things and better voting straight Republican? If you vote for Republicans or Donald Trump we'd revert back to the "Jim Crow days"? Very suspicious, I think something else is the motivation.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:58 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I can't claim to fully understand the dynamics of the Country at that time & place. (Agree LBJ probably had an advantage in negotiating with the Southern folks.)

Nor can I claim to completely understand the dynamics of the Country directly after the American Civil War.

Political assassinations only complicated an already SNNAFU in both times.

I read about the times, examine the documentary evidence, & listen to people who were there, whether it's by reading the histories (from American Civil War/Reconstruction) or by listening to & reading folks who were there (earlier Civil Rights movements).

I've lived in both North & South although I grew up in NY. Visited many States on East & West coasts, not all that experientially familiar with most of the middle States. & I'm still trying to understand the present day dynamics!

Old 08-27-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Naturally you only see what's best for you as a black person matters. You don't care or even acknowledge whites have a right to wonder what's better for them. Of course you wanted to be free to leave high crime, poor, dysfunctional black areas and move into white areas. But you don't care that crime, dysfunction and adversity increased in white society. Your favoring of policies that benefit your race is not more moral than others who favored policies that benefited their race.

The frank truth is you wanted these policies to get away from black society, then castigate the whites that were wanting the same.

You've mentioned the KKK and paint white history as so bad. But the real KKK today is the Klan with the tan, physically attacking people for the political beliefs and their white skin color.
I'm kindof done with this kindof 'black folks are the problem' tirade.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
It's all about you and your race. ...
That's what you keep saying. Just stop.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, this is how I understand racism. Racism is about power. Yes, it is someone thinking that one race is inferior to another, and treating said persons according to that. Because of that, there is something else to consider.

Back to the racism being about power. It is a power thing. Racism in the South is about a power struggle. The racial hierarchy had been established during slavery. The South ran on the slave economy. That economy was destroyed in the Civil War, and with the abolition of slavery.

This racial hierarchy was not meant to benefit Blacks. it was about keeping the power among one group. It was about maintaining a racial hierarchy. The idea being "we can't enslave them, but we will keep them in their place. We can't let them compete with us".

In short, it is about control and power. It is about a way of life that was meant to keep other down in order to maintain power.
You act like it's still the late 1800s when it clearly isn't. You're half right. There does exist a racial power struggle, not just between black and white but Hispanics and Asians are in a power struggle. The real power struggle is between the left and the diversity of thought on the right. Some whites do see blacks and other non-whites as a physical, political and cultural threat to them, because they are. Most whites do not want to turn their society into "Detroit" but it appears most non-whites support policy that does.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
I'm kindof done with this kindof 'black folks are the problem' tirade.
I'm done with "white folks are the problem" tirade.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Anyway, almost no Republicans today are against the CRA, most of them supported it back in 1964.
It wasn't about Democrat or Republican, most of those opposing or resisting civil rights were from the former Confederate States. Our history is not irrelevant in the present day no matter your wishes.

"You don't need to know too much history to understand that the South from the civil war to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 tended to be opposed to minority rights. This factor was separate from party identification or ideology. We can easily control for this variable by breaking up the voting by those states that were part of the confederacy and those that were not."

(Please see link for breakdown)

"You can see that geography was far more predictive of voting coalitions on the Civil Rights than party affiliation. What linked Dirksen and Mansfield was the fact that they weren't from the south. In fact, 90% of members of Congress from states (or territories) that were part of the Union voted in favor of the act, while less than 10% of members of Congress from the old Confederate states voted for it. This 80pt difference between regions is far greater than the 15pt difference between parties."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...f-civil-rights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies