Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:05 AM

268 posts, read 241,235 times

Advertisements

And cab drivers wonder why they're loosing to Uber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2016, 12:52 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Unless the passenger is one of those people who enjoys conversing with the driver, the driver's fluency makes no difference.

What matters is if the driver understands your verbal or written destination and how to get there.

NYC is unlike any other city in the US.

More than 100 languages are spoken in NYC which is nothing new. The city receives more than 50 million foreign visitors a year from all over the world. About 25% of foreign visitors are from China. While most understand basic English, most are not fluent speakers.

It's a huge assumption that a passenger speaks English in NYC.
Yes, it is new. We're not talking about the fact that it's a huge melting pot where many languages are spoken--they have always had that--we're talking about no requirement for them to learn English at all. They may speak 100 languages but if they are a citizen then one of those languages is always English. Would you support every major city in America rolling back an English requirement? For instance, go to a restaurant and just point at a picture of the food to order, get on an international flight of an American airline and not all of the flight attendants speak English, get on a city bus with a driver you can't ask questions to, check into a hotel in an American city where the desk city doesn't speak English, or visit a national park or national monument where you have to communicate in faux sign language and stick figure drawings? And count me as one of those passengers who does like to converse with my driver if I'm exploring a new city.

There is no good defense for creating more confusion, cultural alienation (among the native population no less!) and less unity in the world, particularly in the US.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:35 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
2 Years ago I was in Boston and jumped int a cab...destination a well know hotel..the cab driver had no idea...we needed to give him directions via smart phone gps.

Welcome to the new America.
Before I get in a cab, I ask all cab drivers, white, black, brown, purple, or green, if they know how to get to my destination. It's OK if they need to look it up, but if they look clueless or angry, I don't get in.

Or you can just go to http://www.uber.com

Old 08-21-2016, 02:55 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
https://youtu.be/k0PvMpHHwjY

Old 08-21-2016, 04:30 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
How do you tell the NYC taxi driver where you want to go if he doesn't speak English?
If he doesn't understand, then he doesn't get the fare. If this becomes a consistent pattern, then he won't make any money. The free market will take care of it.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:22 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Yes, it is new. We're not talking about the fact that it's a huge melting pot where many languages are spoken--they have always had that--we're talking about no requirement for them to learn English at all. They may speak 100 languages but if they are a citizen then one of those languages is always English. Would you support every major city in America rolling back an English requirement? For instance, go to a restaurant and just point at a picture of the food to order, get on an international flight of an American airline and not all of the flight attendants speak English, get on a city bus with a driver you can't ask questions to, check into a hotel in an American city where the desk city doesn't speak English, or visit a national park or national monument where you have to communicate in faux sign language and stick figure drawings? And count me as one of those passengers who does like to converse with my driver if I'm exploring a new city.

There is no good defense for creating more confusion, cultural alienation (among the native population no less!) and less unity in the world, particularly in the US.
This is a very good point, Kaphawoman. Will the next Progressive initiative require employers hire employees that are non-English speakers for jobs dealing with the public and subject employers to lawsuits by non-English speaking job applicants for discrimination? That scenario of such a government mandate doesn't sound farfetched to me.

Old 08-21-2016, 06:30 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
2 Years ago I was in Boston and jumped int a cab...destination a well know hotel..the cab driver had no idea...we needed to give him directions via smart phone gps.

Welcome to the new America.
We-ll.......you could always use the international language.

As oppose to trying to get him to understand what you need, hold the dollar bill in front of his face and say "bye-bye" and find yourself a cabbie who does understand.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:13 AM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
The Tower of Babel comes to mind. No thanks!

Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Uber can't make the taxi profession obsolete fast enough, IMO.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:20 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Uber can't make the taxi profession obsolete fast enough, IMO.
Uber does not require English either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies